Aberdeen V St.Johnstone - Wednesday 26th February

SaintJet

8 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I thought Benji was excellent last night. Not just the pace, but his touch and the way he was linking up with DJ in particular. He seems to have really grown since his first couple of games and with that ability to win one-on-one races against defenders and produce a good finish when he gets through on goal, am I getting carried away to suggest he could actually become a regular goalscorer for us?

7 shots, 2 goals, outperforming his xG (opta), and more than half his shots hit the target.

Ive been critical of him but he was exactly what we need from a striker last night and the stats, while still to early to show anything, are starting to hint hes a threat too.

Hes like what we've attempted with folk like O'Halloran and Middleton up front, except he actually knows how to play the role and how to finish.

7 hours ago, johndb said:

Fantastic, Let's hope for this for the rest of the season,  COYS

Gowser said they had an in-depth meeting on monday which wasn't for anyone with a weak stomach.

A few harsh words were said.

Hopefully they told Levein to GTF with his 5 at the back negative tactics.

As I've said before players don't enjoy playing negative football. You can see it in their demeanor.

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I thought Benji was excellent last night. Not just the pace, but his touch and the way he was linking up with DJ in particular. He seems to have really grown since his first couple of games and with that ability to win one-on-one races against defenders and produce a good finish when he gets through on goal, am I getting carried away to suggest he could actually become a regular goalscorer for us?

Maybe I'm forgetting someone, but I don't think we've had an attacking player capable of running past defenders like that since O'Halloran was at his peak.

Benji's pace reminded me of the great Jim Kerray back in the 1960's. Not many on here will remember him!

Can we just pause for a moment to think about this: Aberdeen manager is Neil Warnock.

"I went to the local Tesco today, i couldn't believe how many Aberdeen fans there were - they are great fans"

There;s something Donald Trump about him, but in a nice way "yeah, we lost tonight, but a word of apprecation for the boys - they are great guys, great boys"

10 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

7 shots, 2 goals, outperforming his xG (opta), and more than half his shots hit the target.

Ive been critical of him but he was exactly what we need from a striker last night and the stats, while still to early to show anything, are starting to hint hes a threat too.

Hes like what we've attempted with folk like O'Halloran and Middleton up front, except he actually knows how to play the role and how to finish.

When I saw him at Airdrie I didn't ever expect him to able to connect a header or shot, he has now bettered SPFL superstar Theo Bair in his time at Saints. Maybe he was rusty then but it's an astonishing turn around from someone who didn't look like they knew a knee from an elbow.

I was very much wrong.

4 hours ago, MySpazz said:

Can we just pause for a moment to think about this: Aberdeen manager is Neil Warnock.

"I went to the local Tesco today, i couldn't believe how many Aberdeen fans there were - they are great fans"

There;s something Donald Trump about him, but in a nice way "yeah, we lost tonight, but a word of apprecation for the boys - they are great guys, great boys"

The boos after our second goal and at the final whistle was priceless.

7 hours ago, garydavidson said:

Maybe he was rusty then but it's an astonishing turn around from someone who didn't look like they knew a knee from an elbow.

To be fair to the lad, looking at his game time before joining us, his last competitive game before joining us was April 30th 2023 and that was a 10 minute appearance in a 5-1 loss.

Glad to see that a bit of time to get match fitness is paying off for him and us of course.

8 hours ago, garydavidson said:

When I saw him at Airdrie I didn't ever expect him to able to connect a header or shot, he has now bettered SPFL superstar Theo Bair in his time at Saints. Maybe he was rusty then but it's an astonishing turn around from someone who didn't look like they knew a knee from an elbow.

I was very much wrong.

I was the same tbh, every time id seen him he looked soft and unsure. See how he gets on v Livingston but maybe we're now just seeing him starting to settle now?

Next few weeks should tell us what he is, as he'll both have confidence and should get a run in the team.