Gary Irvine - Right Back?

soulfulsaint

I've heard that the targetted full-back may be Gary Irvine of Celtic. Any comments or confirmations welcomed.

According to Wikipedia: "Gary Irvine (born 17 March 1985 in Bellshill, Scotland) is a professional footballer currently playing for Scottish Premier League club Celtic. He has yet to make his first team debut but is a regular in the reserve team. His preferred position is right back and right wing.

He was loaned to Ross County for the first half of the 2006-07 season in order to gain first team experience."

This is how he is described in a recent Celtic Reserve match:

"Gary Irvine: Stylish right back who linked up well with O'Brien in the first half. Had a couple of mazy runs and was solid in defence. Very comfortable on the ball. Appeared at one point in the first half to be told by McDowall to inject a bit more urgency into his play, but he is really starting to look the part again after his injury.

Any further knowledge?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it was rumoured that we were hoping to sign someone from Celtic, and with the need for a right-back, the possible signing of Gary Irvine does make sense. Wouldn't be an earth-shattering signing but what we need is somebody who provides another option for defence, and that's what he gives us. In his time with Ross County, the supporters considered him as one of their best players, some even saying he was the best, so I think it would be a solid enough signing, and probably a better option than Andy Lawrie.

I can't remember that much of his time at County but Celtic recalled him at Xmas (whereas Gardyne was allowed to stay for the full campaign) because he'd made such good progress.

I guess we should have known it would be a Celtic player when it became apparent that his current club were making things difficult!

What's the point of signing a right-back on loan when we have Lawrie and Anderson here on the wage bill? We should be either bringing in a permanent signing for the position, or work with what we have. Even though Ando's better at central defence, I reckon he has a better chance of getting a game here at right-back, so OC should be working on improving him in that role so that the position can become his. Thoughts?

Found out from other sites. Gary is also a midfielder and versatile which is good. He has Scotland under 21 caps which may be less good, oh and he's Brian Irvine's nephew. Oh God.

Celtic - Gary Irvine – 19-year-old Scottish international right-back for the youths, now involved with the reserves. Has also been played in midfield and even wide on the right. Nephew of ex-Aberdeen player Brian Irvine. Voted “most promising player at the club” in 2004.

Rads - is this the guy that played under-19s for Scotland in the same squad as Mark Baxter? If so I think they moved Irvine to midfield and Baxter took the right back slot?

Here is one Scotland U19 squad (October 2003) that includes Baxter and Irvine.

Scotland Under-19 squad:

Goalkeepers David Marshall (Celtic), Andrew Reid (Motherwell) Defenders Mark Baxter (St Johnstone), Fraser Coyle (Rangers), Alexander Diamond (Aberdeen), Gary Irvine (Celtic), Stephen Low (Celtic), Paul Quinn (Motherwell) Midfield Charlie Adam (Rangers), Ross MacLeod (Hearts), Steven Smith (Rangers), Ross Wallace (Celtic), Jamie Winter (Leeds United) Forwards Scott Brown (Hibernian), David Clarkson (Motherwell), Robert Foy (Liverpool), Ryan Wilkie (Liverpool), Kenny Wright (Motherwell).

Jamie bloody Winter! :lol:

The guy Kenny Wright now plays for Albion Rovers as well and I'm sure Stephen Low had a trial spell with us under Connolly, around the same time as Chris MacLeod and Jordan Tait.

Guest Nairn Saint
According to the wee Ginger one's press conference yesterday there have been no moves for any of his players other than possible loans for Scott Cuthbert and Adam Virgo. Of course that assumes the Wee Ginger One bothers with the youth players much!

ICT are after those two!