Derek McInnes - New Manager

Broon

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is Del, I imagine those "not bovvered" at Coyle leaving will be disappointed, those of us who were bothered might be ok with it?

If it is Del, I have to say I'm happy enough with that.

I disagree Radders, surprise surprise!:-)

Its a bit like the Totten decision. I think that its right the outgoing manager should leave as they have done as much as they could and were startring to go backwards, (IMHO).

The error is in the appointment of the successor. McLellend was wrong from day 1 and I feel the same if McInnes was to get the job now. I feel he would just continue what OC started. As you mentioned in another thread it all depends on your view of OCs work and as you know I wasnt a fan.

I disagree Radders, surprise surprise!:-)

Its a bit like the Totten decision. I think that its right the outgoing manager should leave as they have done as much as they could and were startring to go backwards, (IMHO).

The error is in the appointment of the successor. McLellend was wrong from day 1 and I feel the same if McInnes was to get the job now. I feel he would just continue what OC started. As you mentioned in another thread it all depends on your view of OCs work and as you know I wasnt a fan.

I agree about Totten but that is with hindsight, it would have been great to have a forum back then! No doubt GB would have taken a pasting!

McClelland was wrong but the thinking was right and the groundwork he did on the youth system was the basis of Sturrock's success.

I'd be surprised (if it is McInnes) if he doesn't have a good few ideas of his own. He's been looking to get into management for a while. It could be the perfect balance, an element of continuity mixed with some fresh ideas.

I see your thinking Radford but very hard to go from one of the guys to the boss, it never works! For that reason alone if it does suceed it will take time for him to get peopl in that see him as a boss, time we dont have. that is my main worry about it not necessarilly his abillity as he is as unproven as many other names bandied about

Smacks of the cheap option which makes me think even more that the board are just paying lip service to SPL football now or trying to do it on the cheap and it cant be done

Smacks of the cheap option which makes me think even more that the board are just paying lip service to SPL football now or trying to do it on the cheap and it cant be done

Have to disagree, whoever comes in as Manager will need to be paid similar to Coyle or more. Remember Coyle was virtually untried when he came in. Furthermore, if it was McInnes, then we would need to find someone to take his position. No option is a cheap option................

Have to disagree, whoever comes in as Manager will need to be paid similar to Coyle or more.

Actually, I would imagine he would be on less than coyle (after all - he has no experience) and the extra we would have to pay is the difference between his current salary and his new salary. Then take into consideration we have taken Coyle and Stewarts wages off the bill and been given 100 grand to boot. All we need now is Super Saint to be appointed as the fricking assistant manager and Browns laughing all the way to the bloody bank.... :x

I agree about Totten but that is with hindsight, it would have been great to have a forum back then! No doubt GB would have taken a pasting!

McClelland was wrong but the thinking was right and the groundwork he did on the youth system was the basis of Sturrock's success.

I'd be surprised (if it is McInnes) if he doesn't have a good few ideas of his own. He's been looking to get into management for a while. It could be the perfect balance, an element of continuity mixed with some fresh ideas.

Have to say that I was one of thje few bemoaning Totten before he went and getting shot down for it!

McInnes sounds in theory as if he should be ok, but I've been put off him by his involvement in, as Temple calls it, the 'staleness' that has set in. I think any ideas may have already been used up.

Also as I indicated in another thread we have twice promoted players and they have both been disasters...Gibson and McClelland. Im unaware of the youth work done unders McClellands reign but first team wise it was shocking. At least he didnt miss games through baby sitting though!LAUGH OUT LOUD.

Nope, new face altogether needed I think.

you've got to forget about what he does on the pitch and give del a chance. he's done more in his playing career the coyle ever did. he'll want a team that plays nice passing football and isnt the sort of guy to shirk any big decisions. he'll also have many more contacts than coyle.

he should retire from playing however and fully concentrate on being the gaffer.

good luck derek,

good appointment by the board.

Comments on this thread are a bit harsh. There have been few better names mentioned. Coyle came to Perth with little previous experience of management, and it has worked out fine. This kind of club can only attract a certain kind of manager, and they all carry an element of risk.

I would have preferred a Sandy Stewart/Derek McInnes partnership, but Owen Coyle has entrusted McInnes with coaching the reserves for a while now, and he was also heavily involved in the loan signing of Felipe Morais. I don't think his managerial credentials should be slighted by his ability as a player - he's no more and no less of a risk than any other name mentioned. The one thing he has going in his favour is that he knows the players, and they respect him.

It could go horribly wrong but then again, the same could be said for any of the names linked with the vacancy.

If it is McInnes, I can live with that.

Rather him than some of the names trotted out eg Malpuss,Latapy,Broon for starters. We really do not have any clue as to his abilities or management skills. If he has it he might turn our season round, if he ain't got it then are we any worse off in the short term?

Obviously we don't want to get into the Connelly situation regarding having to sack him within less than a season, but this is a risk that can happen with any manager