Derek McInnes - New Manager

Broon

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one have never been a fan of McInnes as a player for us (although I thought he was excellent on Sunday). However, how he was as a player says nothing about his management skills. He talks a good game though, and I will certainly get behind him as a manager. Hopefully most fans will give him at least until the end of the season to stamp his authority and style on the team.

Strikes me as the type to kick a few a*ses around the dressing room which may help. He knows the players and I am hoping will have learned from some of the mistakes which have been made of late regards tactical changes and subs. Ambitious with something to prove? I hope so!

I guess a lot hangs on who will be 2IC and whether DM hangs up his boots or not. I will be giving him my full support and am hoping that GB has spotted some real talent rather than simply taking the cheap and easy option.

I'm sure I will be proven wrong, but I can't think of any really successful promotion from player to manager appointments.

This appointment is a disaster and exactly what happened when John McLelland was given the task. Human nature dictates that it is very difficult to be pal one minute and boss next. I truly hope I am wrong.

Gutted........

I'm sure I will be proven wrong, but I can't think of any really successful promotion from player to manager appointments.

This appointment is a disaster and exactly what happened when John McLelland was given the task. Human nature dictates that it is very difficult to be pal one minute and boss next. I truly hope I am wrong.

Gutted........[/QUote

In what way is this a disaster?

He is not John McLelland and I doubt if he has the same management skills(?)

as McLelland.

As for transition from player to manager I would doubt if that statement is completely true, and if it is,then there is always a first time for this to happen

C,mon Del prove the doubters wrong

In what way is this a disaster?

He is not John McLelland and I doubt if he has the same management skills(?)

as McLelland.

You would have to agree though, it all looks very similar and we know how Herman turned out.

The team isn't nearly as desperate as when Luggy took over, but we're replacing a manager that had a 50% strike rate in the league, so many people were hoping for a bit more than 'continuity'.

What must be said is that there's very little middle ground here - most folk are either enthusiastic or dead against it, and that's not a good start. When Coyle came in, people were either happy or waiting to see how things went.

You would have to agree though, it all looks very similar and we know how Herman turned out.

The team isn't nearly as desperate as when Luggy took over, but we're replacing a manager that had a 50% strike rate in the league, so many people were hoping for a bit more than 'continuity'.

What must be said is that there's very little middle ground here - most folk are either enthusiastic or dead against it, and that's not a good start. When Coyle came in, people were either happy or waiting to see how things went.

Agreed, but I don't think you can write Del off on the basis of what a previous appointment achieved or did not achieve.

Totally underwhelmed.

He may have a good playing background but that means sod all in management. Fancy Gazza?

I am against it because McInnes was part of the management/coaching team that is responsible for us playing the way we are and are now going backwards. He has stated he is happy with the way things are so I can only foresee more of the same.

By appointing him, Geoff is saying the same thing and showing that he his happy with us ticking over as a slightly above average first division team. It totally lacks ambition.

We have twice promoted from within in the modern era and both have resulted in some of the darkest days this club has seen.

The most successful times have had have been when we have brought in a face and new ideas from other clubs.

Not impressed so over to you Derek, prove me wrong.

Oldsaintee - When John McClelland was appointed, (which turned out to be a disaster) he was helping to coach the reserves, had a fantastic pedigree both top flight and internationally, so there were very good reasons to appoint him at that time. Using that as an example surely backs up my argument, your using the benefit of hindsight to hide behind. Surely we should learn our lesson. We are all Saints fans and of course hope the appointment turns us around, but like I said last night, the quote not too much wrong when we have only won four out of our last 13 league games, does not install me with confidence.

By the way, I will be more than delighted to come back on here and say I was totally and utterly wrong, but can't help how I feel right now. Geoff say's the board think they have made the right decision, I think they have not, that's footy. They have the power, I don't. I would love to have seen all the applicants though.

Agreed, but I don't think you can write Del off on the basis of what a previous appointment achieved or did not achieve.

Well look at it another way. The previous appointment achieved nothing but flattering to deceive. For every good cup result there was a shocker in a fairly routine away game.

I think many people - myself included - were expecting an older hand to give us that bit of consistency we need to get out of Div 1. It's not about flashy football and sunny-day trips to Hampden, it's about winning in the pissing rain at Clyde in the middle of January, in front of 10 folk and a dog.

Everyone will give him time and I'm sure 99.9% of fans will back him once the games start in anger this weekend - but people don't have to agree with the appointment or indeed like it.

Only time will tell if the appointment is right or wrong, but my point still stands ie no two appointments will ever work out the same and I don't think it's relevant to compare two situations no matter how similar.

Had McLellan been a howling success there would be no quarantee that Del's would be.

ps I am not his agent :-)