Clyde vs. Saints 29/12/07

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Main was shocking. Once again lobbed. Came out for a cross and just punched the ball one handed to the edge of the box, He also tried to do it again and missed it completly. He also tipped the ball over the bar when it was going over anyway. Waste of space now!

And again... the ball went behind him, not lobbed, for the goal... yeah his positioning may be dodgy, and he seemed to think it was going to be a cross, which again, was a mistake.

Punchingwise... I have heard a goalkeeping coach advocating one-handed punches in a lot of situations.

If you think the ball was going over, then you are a braver man than me... it looked to me that at best it would hit the bar. Thanks for saving it Main...

I'm not saying he is great and beyond critism, but it seems to be the Sainst fans way, of picking a player and not seeing anything good in what he does...

His kicking and judgement for crossses has always been ropey, but people are now just looking to moan, moan and moan again...

I would love a day to come when folk all went to games with a childish innocence, and just actually enjoyed the game for a change... especially since we WON!!!

but McManus staying in and Ando getting dropped was a big mistake. McManus is not consistently good enough to start games for this club.

Im not so sure ando set himself a high level of standard last season and the games I have seen him this season he does not seem to be reaching it. The defence is not giving me much confidence at the moment as I have seem them all play better than they currently are.

----------------

Now playing: Isis & Aereogramme - Low Tide

via FoxyTunes

And again... the ball went behind him, not lobbed, for the goal... yeah his positioning may be dodgy, and he seemed to think it was going to be a cross, which again, was a mistake.

Punchingwise... I have heard a goalkeeping coach advocating one-handed punches in a lot of situations.

If you think the ball was going over, then you are a braver man than me... it looked to me that at best it would hit the bar. Thanks for saving it Main...

I'm not saying he is great and beyond critism, but it seems to be the Sainst fans way, of picking a player and not seeing anything good in what he does...

His kicking and judgement for crossses has always been ropey, but people are now just looking to moan, moan and moan again...

I would love a day to come when folk all went to games with a childish innocence, and just actually enjoyed the game for a change... especially since we WON!!!

here here

kev name one thing productive that he done, he was close to being sent off, only won 2 headers allday, you were sitting infront off me so i know you seen the same game as me

He won at least 4 defensive headers and unlike some of our defenders he cleared the ball to the side of the pitch, not into the D. You can argue he shouldn't have been there, but had Dr Dukes done the same he would have be lauded.

Still not great, but a big improvement on the Stirling Albion performance. Moon was terrific, and I thought Daal, who really seems to polarise opinion on here, put in a really good shift. He's never going to be a technically great footballer, but he offers something completely different to the rest of our strikers and his workrate is tremendous. He was unlucky not to score when the Clyde keeper saved his effort at point blank range, and Peaso should have done far better with the rebound. I'm not sure he'll start too many games, but coming off the bench he'll always be a real thorn in the side of defences at this level.

Did anyone else think Peaso looked like he went in a bit of a huff when Moon scored instead of passing it to him?

Craig has some good touches and looks in good shape, but needs to cut out the moaning. There's no excuse for that. I don't want us signing a player who's going to end up getting suspended all the time for not being able to keep his mouth shut.

Strange line-up from McInnes I thought. You don't drop your best midfielder to accomodate bringing Andy Lawrie into the team and playing your first choice right-back out of position. Sheerin showed his class when he came on and has to start against Dundee. Get Irvine back to right-back where he's comfortable and dump Lawrie.

Main was poor but nowhere near as bad as some are making out. He was unfortunate at their goal which was a complete fluke and could have happened to any keeper. He also made one very good save and a couple of decent other ones.

I still think the formation is awful and if we try to play that against a good team we could get destroyed.

Strange line-up from McInnes I thought.

Squad rotation, everybody's at it as I noticed with my Fantasy Football team lineup. I have to give McInnes his due he isn't frightened to make changes, take risks and even play young players and players out of their natural position for a game, not to mention target decent players for signing.

I think a lot of clubs and opposition players have cottoned on to the fact that Alan Main leaves at least 6 yards between himself and the goals...they know that if the "chip" the ball then there is a chance they will score...its been proved a lot so far this season...if thats the case and so many fans are witnessing it then surely Derek Mcinnes is witnessing it as well... a wee word and problem solved-"hopefully".

Your missing the point!!!!!!!We're ALL glad we won but it was despite Main not because of him.You keep defending him which is admirable but if he keeps making "mistakes" then even you are going to have to face the cold hard truth that he should be replaced.

Your missing the point!!!!!!!We're ALL glad we won but it was despite Main not because of him.You keep defending him which is admirable but if he keeps making "mistakes" then even you are going to have to face the cold hard truth that he should be replaced.

So the fact that he also made a good save counts for nothing? Is it only the negative aspects that get recognition? Main wasn't great yesterday - and I too think he is punching the ball far too often nowadays (he didn't used to do that when he was here before) - but he was nowhere near as bad as seems to be getting suggested.

I don't think any keeper in the league would have saved Clyde's goal yesterday. It was a fluke. The player himself probably didn't even mean it. These things happen, it doesn't matter who's in goal.

Never said he shouldn't be dropped I just think a lot of what folk are saying is jumping on the bandwagon... looking for faults... when Kev Cuthbert is playing, another load will be on saying he is crap etc... they are goalkeepers playing for St Johnstone in the first division of Scottish football... a mistake or weakness is only to be expected surely?!!

So the fact that he also made a good save counts for nothing? Is it only the negative aspects that get recognition? Main wasn't great yesterday - and I too think he is punching the ball far too often nowadays (he didn't used to do that when he was here before) - but he was nowhere near as bad as seems to be getting suggested.

I don't think any keeper in the league would have saved Clyde's goal yesterday. It was a fluke. The player himself probably didn't even mean it. These things happen, it doesn't matter who's in goal.

I think he made a couple of GOOD save yesterday as it happens but thats what goalies are meant to do is it?? My point is that in the last 5 or 6 games his decision making and positioning have been very poor and have cost us goals which, were he to be a BETTER keeper would not have been scored.

If we were a better team these lapses would mean a lot less but we're not so we need to improve, not just the keeper but keeper all the same.

When an unsavable shot goes in then fair enough, it happens week in week out and thats the nature of football but come on, you,ve been there ,you,ve seen it yourself, the saveable goals we've lost . There,s been a fair few and I honestly believe there will be more to come. Alan Main IS a legend, always will be but he's not the future , he's the past.I am not having a go just for the sake of it , I've been singing this tune all season.The truth is right in front of you, you've just got to open your eyes and think with your head not your heart................

Never said he shouldn't be dropped I just think a lot of what folk are saying is jumping on the bandwagon... looking for faults... when Kev Cuthbert is playing, another load will be on saying he is crap etc... they are goalkeepers playing for St Johnstone in the first division of Scottish football... a mistake or weakness is only to be expected surely?!!

Your dead right , but the team that make the least mistakes will win the league. Every player has the potential to play badly. You just don,t want it week in week out.

I think he made a couple of GOOD save yesterday as it happens but thats what goalies are meant to do is it?? My point is that in the last 5 or 6 games his decision making and positioning have been very poor and have cost us goals which, were he to be a BETTER keeper would not have been scored.

If we were a better team these lapses would mean a lot less but we're not so we need to improve, not just the keeper but keeper all the same.

I agree with all of that, and I believe every position in the team is open to strengthening if we can get players who are better. But I think McInnes will have a tough time attracting a better goalkeeper at the moment. Practically ever since Main left the first time around we've been trying to replace him without success - now it seems even he himself can't replace the original Main! We've had a couple of good ones in McGregor and Glennon, but couldn't keep them. I struggle to think of who we could go for now.

If we can get a better keeper than Main then we should go for it, but we're not going to be able to get anyone who doesn't make mistakes. And I don't see any point in dropping him for Cuthbert just for the sake of it - if Main's going to be dropped, it has to be for someone who is actually better.

kev name one thing productive that he done, he was close to being sent off, only won 2 headers allday, you were sitting infront off me so i know you seen the same game as me

Put in the cross for the first goal. In addition to which he made a lot of good runs and pressurised their defence.

as for their first goal i thought main was positioned right and would have been in 99% of the crosses that would come in, but the goal was a complete and utter fluke and ended up going in the top corner, which very few keepers could have stopped.