Saints vs. Raith Rovers 15/01/08

Scobby_SJFC

Scottish cup time again, hopefully another trip to Hampden but not very likely!!

Not sure whats best the 3 in midfield, where we played some nice stuff against PT or go to a 4 with David Weatherston?

Hopefully Raith will fill up a bit of the north stand and get a decent atmosphere, was thinking th other day about the rain soaked game in 2003 at Starks and a 4-1 game anybody else remember this one??

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite Rovers memory was playing them right at the start of a season...maybe 94/95? Fairly sure it was just after we'd gone down to the First Division. Anyone help me out with the score/date details? May have been 1-1?! My abiding memory is a big Saints support behind one end on a sunny day and pissing against what was basically a wall that constituted their "Toilets"!

Be a tough game for us on Saturday. Just hope we get the ball down in the midfield and play a bit - especially down the wings.

Just to fill everyone with a bit of confidence, we have only scored 1 goal on Scottish Cup 3rd Round Saturday since 2000.

2000 Rangers H 0-2

2001 Dunfermline H 0-0

2002 Aberdeen H 0-2

2003 Airdrie U A 1-1

2004 Motherwell H 0-3

2005 ICT A 0-1

2006 Gretna H 0-1

2007 Ayr H 0-0

That record really is dire, and lets hope it improves. I hope McInnes goes with his strongest team possible because Raith Rovers are useful, as they showed in the Challenge Cup tie in August. I'd line up the same as last week.

Good stats Calloway, dire really ive been to most of them and only Baxters fluke goal away to Airdie is all i can remember

If 3rd round replays count we put 2 past Ayr on a cold wet night.

Spot on, Mark Baxter is the only Saints player to score in a third round 'first leg' game in the Scottish Cup in 8 years.

As for the three replays in that time, lost 3-2 at Dunfermline after being 2 up, needed pens to beat Airdrie and needed a late late Peaso goal to avoid pens at Somerset Park last year.

Good freekeck by JAson, and a good finsh from Peaso, Never been so cold in my life, also missed my train back to Glasgow due to the extra time.

Hopefully this year we can make it easier on ourselves, by getting an early goal and dominating thr game. Wonder how Marvin Andrews is playing these days??

My favourite Rovers memory was playing them right at the start of a season...maybe 94/95? Fairly sure it was just after we'd gone down to the First Division. Anyone help me out with the score/date details? May have been 1-1?! My abiding memory is a big Saints support behind one end on a sunny day and pissing against what was basically a wall that constituted their "Toilets"!

Be a tough game for us on Saturday. Just hope we get the ball down in the midfield and play a bit - especially down the wings.

I was at that game - it was the first game of the season after we were relegated. I'm pretty sure it was Callum Davidson's Saints debut. Peter Davenport also possibly played for us? I remember Colin Cameron scored for Raith, but not sure who scored for Saints - might have been Davie Irons??

I was at that game - it was the first game of the season after we were relegated. I'm pretty sure it was Callum Davidson's Saints debut. Peter Davenport also possibly played for us? I remember Colin Cameron scored for Raith, but not sure who scored for Saints - might have been Davie Irons??

Great, thanks Blueheaven! Davie Irons rings a bell. I had thought it might have been his debut but you're right - I think he was the scorer. Was certainly a better away day than Sten*****muir that season!

Twas indeed Davie Irons that scored and I think Peter Davenport played as a trialist. George O'Boyle and John O'Neil's debuts as well that day

Just to fill everyone with a bit of confidence, we have only scored 1 goal on Scottish Cup 3rd Round Saturday since 2000.

2000 Rangers H 0-2

2001 Dunfermline H 0-0

2002 Aberdeen H 0-2

2003 Airdrie U A 1-1

2004 Motherwell H 0-3

2005 ICT A 0-1

2006 Gretna H 0-1

2007 Ayr H 0-0

That record really is dire, and lets hope it improves. I hope McInnes goes with his strongest team possible because Raith Rovers are useful, as they showed in the Challenge Cup tie in August. I'd line up the same as last week.

Just as well it's the 4th round on Saturday then eh!!!!

Hopefully a fast paced game full of goalmouth incident roared on by a good and vocal crowd. I would like them to start with the team as against Thistle but with Jacko on instead of Peaso . We looked so good when Jacko came on and played some great football.Same again please Del....:D

OH!... OH!.... OH!.... SAINTEES. SAINTEES

Wonder how Marvin Andrews is playing these days??

Marvin Andrews has been injured for the past few games. Don't know if he will be fit for Saturday.

They had a problem against Ross County where Mark Campbell got injured (I think it was in the warm up) and another defender got injured early on in their game and had to come off. They had Andy Todd and Ian Davidson (normally a midfielder) in defence and I am told that the rest of the team were not sure what they were doing with the new shape. I have also been told that Goodwillie (sp?) who seems to be scoring most of their goals has not been given permission to play as Dundee don't want him cup-tied.

feel better now after speaking hazels pal from kirkcaldy. they have pretty bad injury worries seemingly including big marv

We have always struggled against so called weak teams- Raith will be fired up for it-no matter what team they put out....We have to give them respect and not underestimate them.

If we play the way we have the last few games (even the dundee one) then we should win this but saints always struggle against teams they should beat!

I think a 4-3-3 may well work well against Raith (with jacko, savo and mcbreen up front) but I dont see it working in the long term, although id love to be proved wrong

They have been stripped to the bare bones. talk is they only have a fit team of 13 players.

quote of the Raith forum

'With the defos like Pelosi and Silvestro out injured,add Lumsden, Campbell, Goodwillie and Andrews missing i reckon well get rodgered.'

my mate at works says a few of these guys are regulars and also defenders

They have been stripped to the bare bones. talk is they only have a fit team of 13 players.

quote of the Raith forum

'With the defos like Pelosi and Silvestro out injured,add Lumsden, Campbell, Goodwillie and Andrews missing i reckon well get rodgered.'

my mate at works says a few of these guys are regulars and also defenders

Seems like they are giving us false hope-but if we play to our potential then it wont matter one way or another.

I've always wondered after that Darts commentator said "They'll be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight" after Jocky won the World Championship (and after 16 pints) why Kirkcaldy's team are called Raith Rovers. Is it similar to our own origins?

I'm pretty sure Raith is the name of a district in Kirkcaldy - if so, then it technically would actually be possible to dance on its streets!

I'm pretty sure Raith is the name of a district in Kirkcaldy - if so, then it technically would actually be possible to dance on its streets!

Not sure it's got streets as such BH but Raith is a huge estate just outside Kirkcaldy which was once owned by the Ferguson family so maybe they helped to start the team, strange one though and one that has held my interest for many years.....

Not sure it's got streets as such BH but Raith is a huge estate just outside Kirkcaldy which was once owned by the Ferguson family so maybe they helped to start the team, strange one though and one that has held my interest for many years.....

An estate without any streets?? What will those madcap Fifers dream up next??:P

I'm pretty sure there's also a Raith park... the plot thickens.

An estate without any streets?? What will those madcap Fifers dream up next??:P

I'm pretty sure there's also a Raith park... the plot thickens.

There is no Raith area in Kirkcaldy.......Raith Rovers started out of a team called "Raith Rovers" who were a different team. The "old" Raith Rovers merged with Cowdenbeath fc....Then there was a break away group who set up the current Raith Rovers........The "old" Raith was seemingly named after the guy who started "old" Raith.

If that makes sense !!!