Will The Media Jump On This?

Radford 72

Apologies to Calypso Kid for nabbing something he mentioned elsewhere but there were 1,372 at Firhill for Partick Thistle's league game last night. I'm not gonna criticise Thistle but if Saints had turned in a crowd of that size, we would be slaughtered in the media by the likes of John Traynor.

Incidently, you have to go back to September 1987, when we were in the Second Division, to find a league crowd that low for a Saints home game. 1,252 turned up to watch us play Stranraer.

In some ways, this low level of attendance is unsurprising. Livingston and Partick Thistle have played each other a number of times recently due to league games, cup games, cup replays. Livingston also have one of the poorest supports in the division, so probably didn't take many to Firhill. However, I do agree that for a so-called big club, Thistle should be able to get their attendance above a respectable 2000 without a travelling support.

I was reading the article posted on P and B about Gretnas possible double relegation and there was a small bit about the SFL feeling Raydale was of insufficient size and quality to deal with large travelling crowds such as those of Dundee, Thistle and Morton. That was maybe true of these clubs ten years ago, and I doubt these lazy journalists have ever bothered to update their information. Queens are probably the only team who would take a large travelling support to Raydale. Dundee are renowned for having one of the worst travelling supports in this division - in comparison to the size of the club and the size of their home crowds.

there was a small bit about the SFL feeling Raydale was of insufficient size and quality to deal with large travelling crowds such as those of Dundee, Thistle and Morton. That was maybe true of these clubs ten years ago, and I doubt these lazy journalists have ever bothered to update their information. Queens are probably the only team who would take a large travelling support to Raydale.

We still have a sizable travelling support, they just don't seem to turn up whenever we're playing at McDiarmid. I'm not sure why.

As far as I can remember, any time we've visited Raydale there's always been a fair number of us.

Incidentally, who still refers to Thistle as a 'big' club?

Apologies to Calypso Kid for nabbing something he mentioned elsewhere but there were 1,372 at Firhill for Partick Thistle's league game last night. I'm not gonna criticise Thistle but if Saints had turned in a crowd of that size, we would be slaughtered in the media by the likes of John Traynor.

Incidently, you have to go back to September 1987, when we were in the Second Division, to find a league crowd that low for a Saints home game. 1,252 turned up to watch us play Stranraer.

Its funny you mentioned Traynor because he is exactly who i had in mind when i posted it.

Not a dig at Partick or Livi at all but its funny how we get things cast up in our faces by hacks like John Traynor.

Surely this indicates that Glasgow is just not a football town.

In some ways, this low level of attendance is unsurprising. Livingston and Partick Thistle have played each other a number of times recently due to league games, cup games, cup replays. Livingston also have one of the poorest supports in the division, so probably didn't take many to Firhill. However, I do agree that for a so-called big club, Thistle should be able to get their attendance above a respectable 2000 without a travelling support.

I was reading the article posted on P and B about Gretnas possible double relegation and there was a small bit about the SFL feeling Raydale was of insufficient size and quality to deal with large travelling crowds such as those of Dundee, Thistle and Morton. That was maybe true of these clubs ten years ago, and I doubt these lazy journalists have ever bothered to update their information. Queens are probably the only team who would take a large travelling support to Raydale. Dundee are renowned for having one of the worst travelling supports in this division - in comparison to the size of the club and the size of their home crowds.

Our away supports vary,we have taken over 2500 both times at perth,over 1000 at eep nearly 2000 to livi and almost 1000 both times at stirling,the further west it goes down to around 500,still not bad considering utd have taken around 300 to places like rugby park.So it ranges between over 50% of our home crowd to to around 12%,I think we have a good away following and I go to nearly all games.For the record only yourselves and the pars have had more than 1000 at dens this season.

exactly its got loadsa bigots and small minded aholes that are competing for the village idiot 2008

I'm willing to wager that, due to its population being significantly smaller than that of Glasgow, Perth actually has a higher percentage of "bigots and small minded aholes" than my home city. I actually happen to think that in many quarters Glasgow's actually a very welcoming and cosmopolitan place.

Anyway, why would anyone even bother to compete for the title of Village Idiot 2008 when you appear to have it sown (excuse the pun, farm boy) up?

I'm willing to wager that, due to its population being significantly smaller than that of Glasgow, Perth actually has a higher percentage of "bigots and small minded aholes" than my home city. I actually happen to think that in many quarters Glasgow's actually a very welcoming and cosmopolitan place.

I think you're right Jags. I reckon a lot of OF fans have moved on a bit from the sectarian/bigot attitude and respect each other whereas in the smaller towns, not just Perth, there are loads of OF "fans" who've never been to Ibrox or Parkhead and prefer to go along to their respective pubs and spout utter shite.

Doesn't stop the media from being slightly biased and giving Saints more of a hard time than, say, Thistle. You only have to read John Traynor's reports from Saints games to see that he didn't want to be there in the first place

Doesn't stop the media from being slightly biased and giving Saints more of a hard time than, say, Thistle. You only have to read John Traynor's reports from Saints games to see that he didn't want to be there in the first place

I think most of the guys who report on lower league Scottish football would rather be somewhere else, to be honest. That's certainly the feeling I get when sitting in press boxes. However, I will look out for John Traynor's reports with interest.

Is not time some of you carrot crunchers got this chip off your shoulder? :wink:

Hey what's wrong with being a carrot cruncher?

I remember when the Rangers support sang "You're only sheep-shagging ba's" at Pittodrie and the Aberdeen fans retorted -

"We'd rather shag our sheep than your women!"

I never understand why being in a big city means your somehow better, it's like a form of misplaced snobbery, just because they have more of everything e.g. branches of River Island. There's inter-city rivalries worldwide (including big vs. small) as well as inter-country rivalries (including big vs. small) and so the Dundee/Perth rivalry isn't abnormal. The rivalry in Glasgow is odd, ancient and serious and we'll see how it affects Scotland soon with three old firm games coming up. That'll show just how cosmopolitan it is but I suspect that just applies to the playing staff.

.... and we'll see how it affects Scotland soon with three old firm games coming up. That'll show cosmopolitan it is but I suspect that just applies to the playing staff.

I had no idea that they were playing soon to be honest, the media are sure to jump on that! but frankly who cares? (oh the readers care)

I had no idea that they were playing soon to be honest, the media are sure to jump on that! but frankly who cares? (oh the readers care)

Dave I think a lot of the non OF part of Scotland will be bored to tears particularly if these three games are followed with an old firm cup final. :shock::cry::rolleyes::(