Big Sol

auchterarder mark

Does anybody know which paper is threatening an expose on Sol Campbell?

I am assuming it is the News of the Screws as usual & if so would suggest that a concerted campaign against it should be started, with everybody refusing to buy it for a few weeks until they stop destroying peoples lives for absolutely no reason other than greed and profit. :evil:

Can everyone contributing to this thread please remember that, just because it's not about about a Saints player, doesn't mean the forum rules don't still apply. Please think before posting.

I made my comments on the basis that he was unhappy with his performance on Wednesday night when he was knocked over by Bobby Zamora (West Ham) and caused two goals and then left the ground at half-time and as a consequence phoned in to say he wanted some time out. You assume the worst in people.

Since then I've heard he possibly is gay (so what), he has three women (so what), his dad's dead, his brother's in jail he has aids and who knows what else.

None of this has been said on the BBC or SKY and they have only said he's not appeared at Arsenal for training and so I blame the shit*es who buy and fund these tabloids. Here is the latest quote from Wenger on the BBC -

"I haven't seen him since Wednesday night and I have no news from him at the moment. It is not a big concern for me because I feel he just needs a break.

"Will a few days to clear his head be sufficient? I think so. I do not know what the problem is. Frankly, really and sincerely I don't know."

I think the main concern just now is for the man himself as opposed to the stories set to appear about him. To leave the ground at half-time of a match and disappear without comment to even his employer, suggests that something major is affecting him. It might have been a good idea for him to do a 'Charles Kennedy' and pre-empt the story coming out by releasing a statement either to reveal the true story or explain that he needed a break due to 'Personal Reasons'.

I don't really care as to what the story is but I wish him all the best and hope that he can show strength of character to put the incident behind him, recapture his form on his return to action and go on to represent his country in the World Cup.

The disappointing bit of the whole thing is the News of the World's determination to completely undermine its own nations' chances in football's major tournament by bringing down the Coach and one of the key players. Apart from money you have to wonder what their motivation is to trap and publish stories like this

You assume the worst in people.

Not at all! My post wasn't aimed at anyone in particular - it was more a pre-emptive strike, because I could see where the thread was heading and felt it was only a matter of time before someone said something that would have to be moderated. Feel free to carry on discussing the subject, but as I said, just remember what the forum rules are when doing so! :)

I must have fallen of the planet for the last few days as when I saw this topic I did not have a clue what it was even about

I have just had a look at the BBC web site and its not much more help. As I did not see the TV on Wednesday was the performance on Wednesday that bad.

Its obvious that he must have some problems but why do the English media have against their team. I think they are trying to mess the team up now as they know they are not going to win the world cup and can use this as an excuse when they hopefully return home as early as possible :wink:

I am sure Sol is a feeling the preasure of the poor form Arsenal have shown in England. if he has outside issues I am sure the club and FA will help him

I agree with the comments above about his private life, however all players need to remember they are role models for a lot of younger fans

Not at all! My post wasn't aimed at anyone in particular - it was more a pre-emptive strike, because I could see where the thread was heading and felt it was only a matter of time before someone said something that would have to be moderated. Feel free to carry on discussing the subject, but as I said, just remember what the forum rules are when doing so! :)

Fascist !!! :lol:

From The News of the World today...

TORTURED Sol Campbell last night vowed to return to Arsenal this week — just THREE days after telling stunned team-mates: "You will never see me again."

Campbell's lawyer Bon Battu issued a statement that read: "Sol is absolutely fine. I have been in continuous contact with him since Wednesday evening.

"He needed time and space to gather his thoughts.

"He has no personal problems whatsoever. He will be back in training next week."

Campbell controversially fled Highbury on Wednesday night and the News of the World can exclusively reveal he told stunned team-mates he was ‘finished with football'.

But Battu tried to minimise the impact of Campbell's distressing behaviour, saying: "He just felt that he needed to take time out and take stock of the situation.

"He's done that now and is ready to come back.

Twist

"And despite all the crazy rumours circulating about him he's actually fine and in good spirits."

But instead of finally bringing the stunning saga to a conclusion, it merely added another amazing twist to the story that's rocked English soccer — and Campbell's stunned team-mates.

They were left in little doubt on Wednesday, when Campbell was substituted at half-time after a disastrous opening 45 minutes against West Ham, that the 31-year-old veteran was quitting.

A close pal revealed: "Sol walked into the dressing room at half-time, put a towel over his head and shoulders and sat there in silence.

"Then he got up in front of all the players and stunned everyone by saying: ‘That's it. I'm finished with football, I'm finished with this club. You are never going to see me again'."

Campbell then got up and walked out.

Refused

Rumours abounded that he had jetted off to the United States, with reports that he was in New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco.

There were even stories that he was holed up at Sir Elton John's home in the South of France.

Even Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger admitted after yesterday's 2-0 win at Birmingham that Campbell refused to tell him where he was when the pair spoke on the phone.