#02 - 02/08/08 - Livingston (h)

O'Rourke

Hard to believe, but the league season STARTS this weekend. Given some of the doom and gloom on other threads you'd be forgiven for thinking our season is already over!

Whatever happens over the next few days someone will be in the left-back slot on Saturday...

Early predictions?

Will we get off to a flyer?

Or will we be dire?

2:0 Home win

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that it's taken til Wednesday night to start the thread shows what the mood is.

There seems to be a real depression lurking around us just now, and I hope that's not transferred onto the pitch on Saturday.

Team for me would be

McLean

Irvine, McCaff, Ruti, Newman

Swankie, Hardie, Millar, Craig,

Jackson, Holmes

If there's no Newman, then Craig moved back and Sheerin in at LM

Best of luck to the boys on Saturday and for the season ahead.

The fact that it's taken til Wednesday night to start the thread shows what the mood is.

There seems to be a real depression lurking around us just now, and I hope that's not transferred onto the pitch on Saturday.

well i'm quite the opposite. my plan of avoiding all pre season games + ross county is looking a good choice as i am absolutely buzzing for saturday. i reckon it will be a good game, few goals and hopefully a good start to the league campaign for us.

i would go 4-3-3. i expect livi to be a much better team than last season as well.

well i'm quite the opposite. my plan of avoiding all pre season games + ross county is looking a good choice as i am absolutely buzzing for saturday. i reckon it will be a good game, few goals and hopefully a good start to the league campaign for us.

To be honest Muzz, I'm the same. I'm optimistic about the season ahead. The general mood within the support is not so positive.....

I had a dream last night and in it Main made a fantastic one armed save defying his years and injury. His arm in a sling he played at left back, scored the 5th goal from a header in the last minute to win 5-4!

Honest guv!

You're one of the more sober posters on here Dunc (normally). :D

I had a dream last night and in it Main made a fantastic one armed save defying his years and injury. His arm in a sling he played at left back, scored the 5th goal from a header in the last minute to win 5-4!

Honest guv!

thats the way football should be.

I really don't agree with the need for all the doom and gloom before the league's even kicked off. Obviously there hasn't been a long list of victories in pre-season, but the club specifically chose some harder matches to give a better test. Last week was a disappointment but we rarely do well up there, perhaps went in a little complacent, and the fact we were outplayed and lost will hopefully give the team the necessary kick up the arse to ensure this doesn't happen again on Saturday.

We have the best group of players in the division, arguably the strongest since we were relegated, with real competition in every position bar left back. McLean hasn't been convincing but Main will probably only miss the first league game, meaning we're only 1 player short of having everything in place.

That's a far better situation than Dundee are in, having lost a number of good players and seemingly have an inferior squad to last season. Add to that a defeat to Alloa in the cup, a lengthy injury list and a trip up to Dingwall themselves on the opening day, our biggest challengers aren't exactly in the best shape. Dunfermline only have 2 strikers on their books, 1 is the manager and he's injured, so just be thankful we're not them :)

Anyway I'm really very confident about this season, I expect a win on Saturday, and this is the team who'll do it:

McLean

Irvine Ruti McCaffrey Loanee

Swankie Hardie Millar Craig

Jackson McDonald

Bench: Main, Samuel, Sheerin, Holmes, James

Also I hope the constant criticism of Samuel from a few up at Dingwall from almost the minute he came on isn't going to be a trend this season. It's extremely tedious, and entirely unfair on someone who hadn't played a competitive game since the end of March. I thought he showed quite a bit of promise for someone who isn't yet fully fit, was being played out of position and scored a good goal.

End of essay :)

im sick of us being good on paper its about time to do it on the park and from the start. saturday had such a drab feeling of pre season and no passion was shown apart from players shouting at mclean and knocking his confidence further.

I am not sure how this will go livi have been training three times a day and have small fast players. think this year lee griffiths (yes the gimp with the hair and boots) will rip through or defence and I can see him scoring another two this weekend. they have a solid back line with a keeper who can function as a keeper unlike their last effort.

from what i saw on saturday for us a lot of things needed fixing but i do think del was playing people in positions just for a try out.

I expect us to show a lot more dig and resilience. Give us something real to be positive about, seeing saints as league favourites still scares me.

Dear God, this thread is depressing! We are short in one position and that's it. Look at our midfield compared to theirs, it isn't a contest! Griffiths will rip us apart? Just like he did last season I suppose? Their super defence contained Mackay and McPake last season and we still knocked 14 goals past them. Is Chris Innes going to stop a stronger Saints attack doing likewise?

It's only natural to be concerned at some of performances so far but they mean very little come 3:00pm on Saturday when the real stuff starts and I can't believe how many folk have us beaten already!

We are a different side at home and showed against Burnley the threat we can carry going forward. The difference is Livingston don't have a £1,000,000 striker to score or create goals like they did.

In saying all that, I just wish I believed McInnes has strongest side nailed. We are defintely closer than we were a fortnight ago but it's hard to pick the two strikers in particular. With Morris' enforced absence, I think it will Swankie, Hardie, Millar and Craig in midfield with Sheerin at left back if need be. All the strikers have a claim to start so fingers crossed Del makes the right choice. At the moment I'd maybe go with Peaso and Jacko but yesterday I'd probably have said Samuel and Holmes!

Dear God, this thread is depressing! We are short in one position and that's it. Look at our midfield compared to theirs, it isn't a contest! Griffiths will rip us apart? Just like he did last season I suppose? Their super defence contained Mackay and McPake last season and we still knocked 14 goals past them. Is Chris Innes going to stop a stronger Saints attack doing likewise?

The way Griffiths was stopped last season was with our solid back line which looks extremly easy to break down from what I saw on saturday and county never had much going on for them up front. Surly you can not forget some of the goal keepers livi had last season? that contributed to a lot of the goals we scored. So since they have sorted that issue with a guy who can come off his line its not going to be as easy for us this season as last.

I hope you are right and our previous performances mean nothing. I am not going to be sitting in the stadium being negative though, that helps no one.

Im really confident about this match and the season. We have problems in defence but we still have good defenders - Irvine, rusty and caff are all at the very least as good as other defenders in the league. Lets be a bit more positive, we have great midfielders and forwards - so we are bound to score.

As for line up, id go

Mclean

Irvine Rusty Caff Sheerin/new LB

Miller Hardie Craig

Savo Jacko Swankie

Then swankie can drop back to make it a 4-4-2 if needed. We have options in holmes and samuel up front to make a difference if needed.

3-1 saints

I'm looking forward to taking my seat for the 1st time as a season ticket holder, and calling the linesman a ****.

Noosy, you'll never guess who is running the line! You'll have a field day!

The way Griffiths was stopped last season was with our solid back line which looks extremly easy to break down from what I saw on saturday and county never had much going on for them up front. Surly you can not forget some of the goal keepers livi had last season? that contributed to a lot of the goals we scored. So since they have sorted that issue with a guy who can come off his line its not going to be as easy for us this season as last.

I hope you are right and our previous performances mean nothing. I am not going to be sitting in the stadium being negative though, that helps no one.

Was our backline that solid last season and did County break us down that much on Saturday? I think they had three shots on target. I'm also not sure how we know how good the new Livi 'keeper is? I do agree that their 'keepers last season were shocking though.

The pre-season can be looked on as positive as it's highlighted the weaknesses. Last season we scored plenty of goals in pre-season so went into the season with Daal and Stewart up front.