anyone got a good recipe for stewed sauasge?

Noose76

Love a bit of stewed square sausages in gravy etc but do any of you have an accomplished recipe?

much appreciated

Right then. Pay attention......Get a 1lb piece of square dice it into 1 cm cubes.Get some bisto beef gravy granules and make up about a pint. Make it a bit runnier than you would if you were just making gravy for your roast beef.

Also, chop up half an onion ,half cm dice,and a quarter a lb of leek same size.Do the same with a medium sized peeled potato.( if you like mushrooms take a small cup full and quarter them).

Get a frying pan on the go with a table spoon of veg oil/olive oil/ corn oil(what ever floats yer boat.) Get the pan roasting hot and add the square,the onions( optional mushrooms) and the leeks.At this point if when you stir the pan vigourously , large flames do not appear either your pan wiznae hot enough or your unfortunate enough to cook with electric.Never mind.Cook hard( this does not mean with an erection but at a very hot heat) for two or three minutes. Next add a cup of red wine to the pan and reduce the liquid by half. (Do this with the heat and not by trying to drink it.It will be hot and will burn your gob).Next add a splash of worcestershire sauce.Meanwhile in a casserole dish put the gravy and diced spuds with a good pinch of cracked black pepper and then add all the gear you have fried in the frying pan, add a tablespoon of tomato ketchup and if you like it a bit spicy you can add a teaspoon of either chilli/blackend cajun spice or crushed fresh green peppercorns.Pre heat your oven to gas mark 6 and have a quick taste of what you have to see if you want to add some salt to your own taste. Remember though it is gonna reduce so don't go ****ing daft with the salt.

Pop it into the oven and without a lid give it 20 minutes then another 10 minutes with a lid.****ing bootiful..........Serve it with warm crusty bread and beer........

Or you could just grill a slice of square, stick it on a roll and spoon on a bit of thick gravy.....:laugh:

Ghosty, you've just made me salivate!

You should write your own cookery book! Even i can understand those instructions!

There is a thin line between understanding instructions and burning yer hoose doon.:laugh::laugh::oops:

I suppose we could do an on line cook-a-long like the ex *** t*** does on the tele.Mind you I dont think Mrs Ghost would be happy if I moved the cooker intae the front room....:evil::laugh:

Cheers for that, although I'm old school so won't be adding tomato ketchup. :wink:

Plus, aint you being a bit stingey with only 1 spud? half an onion?

Finally, where do I find "a piece" of square sausage that weighs 1 pound! Must be the size of a small window!

Sorry I thought it was just for one.:laugh:

The crusty bread and the beer fully compensate for the comparetively meagre ration of spuds.:cool:But hey customise it . Put as much tatties in as you like, but remember more tatties = less beer. Personally I'd say " **** THE SPUDS"

Go tae David Lindsay and tell him I sent you( he'll then probably charge you double)Just ask for a pound of unsliced square.

Anyone up for a game of frisbee?

Ghost's house at 7, with the massive square sausage.

It,s good old mince and boiled tatties in the ghost hoose the night.Should be getting it on now but I canny be arsed.I've been cooking all day and would happily have a banana sandwich , a mars bar and a packed of crisps .

Now remind me why I'm so bloody overweight.

I'm all for a Saintees recipe book written by Ghostie, make an excellent stocking filler this xmas.

How about ...Mad Mental Martins (mince) and tatties. Thats a dish , not a statement

Take a bit of cow, grind up with your bare hands add some raw veg shite & some gravel ,dinnae bother cooking it. For your tatties take a bottle of Voddie( well it is technically potatoes in another form) take alternate bites of your mince and drinks of your tatties...He,s HARD..........

we often do a chilli sausage meal using cut up sausages rather than square but I guess it would end up pretty similar.

Fry the sausages until browned and drain well (less fat see....and you'll not end up with a belly like ghostie :P ). In the pan residue blend in chilli seasoning (amount depends on strength and your taste), rosemary, sage, thyme, paprika and garlic. Then stir in qtr pint red wine, 3 qtr pint beef stock, tomato puree, sugar and salt to taste.

In a casserole dish layer up thin slices of white cabbage, 1 large onion thinly sliced, 1 tin of red kidney beans and the sausage pieces. Pour the above sauce over the top, cover and bake in oven at 180 C for about an hour.

Great with rice or crusty bread and more red wine.

It,s good old mince and boiled tatties in the ghost hoose the night.Should be getting it on now but I canny be arsed.I've been cooking all day and would happily have a banana sandwich , a mars bar and a packed of crisps .

Now remind me why I'm so bloody overweight.

So what is your recipe for the crispy batter for the mars bar :)

How about ...Mad Mental Martins (mince) and tatties. Thats a dish , not a statement

Take a bit of cow, grind up with your bare hands add some raw veg shite & some gravel ,dinnae bother cooking it. For your tatties take a bottle of Voddie( well it is technically potatoes in another form) take alternate bites of your mince and drinks of your tatties...He,s HARD..........

I'm liking this idea.

Made my stewed sauasges last night, but the square ones in Morrison were only 57% beef, so I went for standard link at 85%.

Cooked it all on the hob with onions, carrots, mushrooms, red wine, oxo, bisto. just the 7 sausages, so have some for my lunch today. :D

Cheers for your input folks

I'm liking this idea.

Made my stewed sauasges last night, but the square ones in Morrison were only 57% beef, so I went for standard link at 85%.

Cooked it all on the hob with onions, carrots, mushrooms, red wine, oxo, bisto. just the 7 sausages, so have some for my lunch today. :D

Cheers for your input folks

Go for the Simon Howie or Braveheart beef ones Noose, soooo much better and no sawdust like they put in the links :shock:

Nor me, one's I got last wekend were 87% - unless I need new glasses :shock:

mate, you're English, what you doing eating square sausage. :wink:

The ones I saw was in an 8 pack and I'm pretty sure it was Simon Howie's. I live in Dundee so if you're talking about a butchers then I'm talking bollocks.