Derek Holmes

supersaint44

Hey, i was just wundering how is the Big man fairing at the mo, i mena i know he is a starting choice but i havent been able to see him since the opening day and all i hvae to go on are the highlights. I thought the big man would be a good signing as we need a bigger striker but i worried earlier in the season when people were saying he was just getting balls punted at him and i saw that didnt suit him at the end of th burnley and livi game. He seems to be getting a good reception but i was wundering is he playing really well or just consistant and is he more of a link striker than a scorer as he hasnt seemed to score many and doesnt seems to get many chances by the looks of the highlights, does he get into good positions to score or tht?

Hey, i was just wundering how is the Big man fairing at the mo, i mena i know he is a starting choice but i havent been able to see him since the opening day and all i hvae to go on are the highlights. I thought the big man would be a good signing as we need a bigger striker but i worried earlier in the season when people were saying he was just getting balls punted at him and i saw that didnt suit him at the end of th burnley and livi game. He seems to be getting a good reception but i was wundering is he playing really well or just consistant and is he more of a link striker than a scorer as he hasnt seemed to score many and doesnt seems to get many chances by the looks of the highlights, does he get into good positions to score or tht?

He wins absolutely everything in the air and does get into good positions too. He's never going to bethe quickest, but he does try and cover the ground (albeit slowly :P)

I really rate him as a player and will be a very important player for us all year IMO

Poor man's Kenny Deuchar, but that's not a bad thing! He's great at winning headers, and seems to always know where Savo is, in the last couple of games he's laid off some great passes to him. On the other hand, he's slow and and doesn't look like scoring many on the deck. But, that's not what he's there to do, and as a big lump he's doing a great job.

working superb with Savo. Does anyone think Savo seems to have picked up and extra yard of pace?

It's all about match fitness with Savo, he's getting sharper every game! Think Holmes brings the best out of him!

I've been singing bid Derek's praises on here but get the feeling other people are still unsure? Think behind Miller he has been our most consistant player this season!

Holmes and Savo have developed a great partnership. Homer's the target man we've been missing for some time, he holds the ball up well, wins everything in the air and Savo's hitting top form as a result. We also have a class act in Samuel who will definitely get us goals and I don't think we've seen him on top form yet either! With the likes of Peaso and Jacko also in contention for places, we're well placed up front for goals

i think your knocking Homer a bit saying he doesnt look like scoring many on the deck. His first touch is immaculate and dont think for a minute that because he's a six footer he cant stick the ball in the net because i can tell you for sure that the big chap can finish. although his headers and presence are an advantage, the real reason he is important to the team is his work rate and his ability to lay balls off and knock them down(not always with his head) with pinpoint precision

I've only seen Holmes in the home games this season but I think he does his job very well. He's obviously big and strong and he has a surprisingly great touch so he is a fantastic target man. Very slow though. Also not as deadly a finisher with his feet as any of our other strikers but all in all he is a good player and adds an extra element to the team that we miss with aw our puny wee strikers.

Good player.

i think your knocking Homer a bit saying he doesnt look like scoring many on the deck. His first touch is immaculate and dont think for a minute that because he's a six footer he cant stick the ball in the net because i can tell you for sure that the big chap can finish. although his headers and presence are an advantage, the real reason he is important to the team is his work rate and his ability to lay balls off and knock them down(not always with his head) with pinpoint precision

Agreed. His work rate is top notch.

Think he will probably be away in the January window.

I doubt it, unless we get a very good offer as he only recently signed a 2 years deal so would demand a decent fee (which very few clubs would be willing to pay) and i dont think McInnes would let him go that easily for nout. Id say if he is still not geting a game by feb then he may be away next summer which would be sad but i think he will be back soon on the bench and then maybe push for a starting place with a few good sub performances but for me, my main concern is Jacko what will happen to him, his dip in form has cost him his place and might end up causing a big set back in his development.

Agreed. We have a bit of a surplus of strikers at St Johnstone at the moment and its a worry whats going to happen too them all. Savo and Holmer are obviously first choices right now. Peaso is getting quite dandy at making subby appearances but I doubt he's gonna be happy with that. I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if we sold either MacDonald or Jackson in the transfer window. Although I really do want Jacko to stay. I reckon he's just hitting a low patch of form and that he'll come good. Doubt he'll get more than 10 goals this season but I still see that in him.

I would be amazed if the club allows anyone to leave in January*, especially if we're making any form of challenge at the top end of the table.

Our major strength at the moment is the depth of our squad and unlike Dundee we are not desperate for cash in the short term so it would be madness to let anyone go.

I'd imagine if we are challenging then Brown and Duff would be looking to make funds available for the last signing or two to push us over the line, particularly if there was any possibility of filling the elusive left-back slot.

*McKoy and Kerr excepted.

Agreed. We have a bit of a surplus of strikers at St Johnstone at the moment and its a worry whats going to happen too them all. Savo and Holmer are obviously first choices right now. Peaso is getting quite dandy at making subby appearances but I doubt he's gonna be happy with that. I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if we sold either MacDonald or Jackson in the transfer window. Although I really do want Jacko to stay. I reckon he's just hitting a low patch of form and that he'll come good. Doubt he'll get more than 10 goals this season but I still see that in him.

i dont really agree with that, we have

jacko, peaso,samuel,holmes and savo. 2 on the field and one on the bench.

with 2 if there are any injuries.

des said players would ahve to work hard and play well to get a match, and i think peaso and jacko have grudgingly accepted to wait their chance. same with samuel to an extent.

it is a great predicament to be in :rolleyes: