Scotland v switzerland

Davey

Oh dear, oh dear. :(

That was absolutely honking! I'm just back from Hampden and I'm dreadfully disappointed with that performance. It was absolutely gutless, particularly after they scored their third. There was a good twenty minutes at the end where it was obvious that Switzerland were happy with their three goals and we didn't create anything in that time. Absolute rubbish.

Thought we were a little unfortunate to be two goals behind at half-time but having said that, they took their chances well.

Any idea why we didn't bring on any substitutes in the second half? The game seemed to be heading nowhere for a long period of time, subbies might have freshened things up a bit. We didn't even have any out warming up.

Rubbish. :evil:

I'm 37.

We were awful, simple as. Walter Smith has generally been far more tactically aware than Vogts, but last night he got it totally wrong. The 3-5-2 has worked well away from home, but at home we really need to play a 4-4-2 so that we can take the game to the opposition. Christian Dailly at right wing back was a total dead loss - he's a good player, and has been a great servant to Scotland, but he just does not have the pace or energy to play as a wing-back. And Graham Alexander - what does this guy have that convinces successive managers to pick him? He's just nowhere near international class. We have some excellent young scottish full-backs like Robbie Neilson, Steven Whittaker, Mark Wilson, Stevie Hammell and Gary Hay, so its not like there aren't any other options in these positions.

I also found it bizarre that when Gary Teale was brought on we seemed to stick with a back 3, rather than switch to a 4 which would have allowed him to play as a right winger, where he has done all his best work for Wigan this season. We were also totally lacking any pace at centre half - for me Davie Weir just isn't quick enough to play at international level anymore. The sooner Russell Anderson is getting picked on a regular basis the better.

It wasn't like Switzerland were outstanding, they were no better than decent, its just that we lacked any sort of consistent, dangerous attacking threat, and defended really poorly for their goals. If we play anything like that against France or Italy, we'll get humped.

There was 20952 at the start but not many at the end.

It should have been predictable based on our home friendly record of past years but many of us thought Walter wouyld stabilise this record. Switzerland are actually a good team, better than I thought but we should have done a lot better than that. Dreadful.

Sean Maloney should have been on alongside Miller who was dewcent. The midfield struggled which was a bad omen because that's supposedly our strong part of the team.

Japan here we come.

Every time we mounted anywhere near a decent attack... Miller had to come wide to collect the ball, meaning he wasn't in the centre and no-one covered the gap he left. McFadden looked disinterested most of the time.

Weir is honking and I agree that we need to start blooding new younger defenders, and we should have tried out a few more players in the second half.

£15 for a bloody friendly when it's freezing and then most players cannae be arsed getting out of first gear! Not happy! :evil:

If we are going to persist with 3 at the back then we need wing backs with pace and energy to get up and down the wing helping in attack and defence. Dailly is not a wing back, Alexander plays on the right not left, although I don't think he should be playing anyway ,if he does, then play him on the right!

Midfield was poor last night we were standing 20 yards off their midfield making it easy for them to pass it around.

We shouldn't be playing with one up front at home, it works away but not in the home games. Too often Miller was dropping deep or wide to collect the ball leaving no-one in the middle for a potential cross. Maybe Hartley or Scott Brown in midfield would provide driving runs beyond a lone striker but there was nothing last night.

Very disappointed

Bring on France...

and Italy...

and Ukraine :shock:

we are never going to win with barry the crab ferguson :shock: and i mean it. He doesnt suit our type of play (counter-attacking + fast paced) He slows play up and is rubbish anyway. I do not know why walter didnt try riordan from the start and alexander and teale! its a friendly - try experiment a little. I honestly thought walter would do the job at the start of his reign but each game i am thinking less so even when we beat norway.

we are never going to win with barry the crab ferguson :shock: and i mean it. He doesnt suit our type of play (counter-attacking + fast paced) He slows play up and is rubbish anyway. I do not know why walter didnt try riordan from the start and alexander and teale! its a friendly - try experiment a little. I honestly thought walter would do the job at the start of his reign but each game i am thinking less so even when we beat norway.

I think that's a little bit harsh. I wouldn't say that Walter is doing a bad job on the basis of that one game, even though I do agree he made poor choices in that game. I think that the basic idea of trying to keep a settled side together is a decent one. I believe that a bit of stability like that can help us. However, during the course of the game it became clear that we needed to try something else. He had options on the bench and he should have used them when it became apparent that Switzerland were happy to play out the match. If he'd bought on Maloney I think that would have caused the Swiss defence some problems rather than just letting the match fizzle out.

In general, however, I am behind Walter. I think things have improved considerably since Vogts went and we had some good results towards the end of the last qualifying campaign. There was a lot of optimism about the future of Scotland not long ago but after one friendly defeat and a poor draw for the Euro 2008 qualifying group (hardly Walter's fault) everyone is gloomy. It was a poor game and a poor result but we have more to look forward to now than we did a year or so ago.

I'm 37.