Standing at football

Dr Christmas Jones

Was at the Carlisle-town game yesterday.About 40 of us stood the whole game without being told to sit down.A steward told a guy in front of me to stop standing on his seat 3 times,whilst he was caught smoking once but seen the end of the game.No arrests,no hassle.The police were watching the football more than they were watching the crowd.Is the health & safety issue different between Scotland and England?

Was at the Carlisle-town game yesterday.About 40 of us stood the whole game without being told to sit down.A steward told a guy in front of me to stop standing on his seat 3 times,whilst he was caught smoking once but seen the end of the game.No arrests,no hassle.The police were watching the football more than they were watching the crowd.Is the health & safety issue different between Scotland and England?

Nah. The polis are just bigger fuds up here and dinnae even get me started on the stewards:evil:

yeah lad, same at the game i was at last saturday. not one problem with near 5000 fans standing.

I just want to know what the regulation is for health & safety.Is it different from England to Scotland , stadium to stadium , before the game starts to during play . All i seem to hear from stewards and police is , its for health & safety reasons . If that is the case why can you stand during half time , during concerts , i bet you can stand during the johovah conventions(not that i will ever know).Surely when the taylor report was applied they did nt just enforce it in tayside (apart from when the old firm play there).

McDiarmid Park is awful for it, but I don't think England is any better than Scotland. It's just certain grounds in Scotland where there is a problem (McDiarmid, Tannadice and Pittodrie being the worst in my opinion). Most stadiums in Scotland have no problem with fans standing up though, Ibrox, Parkhead, Tynecastle, Falkirk etc have no problem with fans standing up and singing.

Tannadice is probably the worst overall but Pittodrie is terrible for away fans (other than the Old Firm ofcourse who get special treatment) though the Pittodrie stewards have no problem with home fans standing up.

Is the health & safety issue different between Scotland and England?

I don't think so. Persistent standing is extremely frowned upon in England as well - an example being that printed on the front of my ticket for Everton vs Sunderland the other day was a message explicitly stating that persistent standing was not allowed.

Similarly, there have been a number of cases where councils have threatened to revoke clubs' safety certificates if nothing was done about persistent standing. Man United had a big problem with it a few years back. At Sunderland a number of different teams have had their away ticket allocations reduced from the standard 3000 tickets by the local council and their safety partnership. Man United, Everton, Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Leeds have all had their allocations halved to 1500 from memory. (Not that that made any noticeable difference in Boro's case with their appalling support.)

I don't think there's really any difference between Scotland and England - I just think that at individual grounds certain groups of stewards are bigger jobsworths than others.

I don't think so. Persistent standing is extremely frowned upon in England as well - an example being that printed on the front of my ticket for Everton vs Sunderland the other day was a message explicitly stating that persistent standing was not allowed.

Similarly, there have been a number of cases where councils have threatened to revoke clubs' safety certificates if nothing was done about persistent standing. Man United had a big problem with it a few years back. At Sunderland a number of different teams have had their away ticket allocations reduced from the standard 3000 tickets by the local council and their safety partnership. Man United, Everton, Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Leeds have all had their allocations halved to 1500 from memory. (Not that that made any noticeable difference in Boro's case with their appalling support.)

I don't think there's really any difference between Scotland and England - I just think that at individual grounds certain groups of stewards are bigger jobsworths than others.

i'm heading to sunderland in february. will stoke get 3000 tickets or less dev?

i'm heading to sunderland in february. will stoke get 3000 tickets or less dev?

They'll get 3000 if they can fill it. The last time I saw Stoke at the Stadium of Light they were lucky if they had 300 there. They did make some noise and gave a good rendition of Delilah though.

They'll get 3000 if they can fill it. The last time I saw Stoke at the Stadium of Light they were lucky if they had 300 there. They did make some noise and gave a good rendition of Delilah though.

cool cool. we'll be lucky to break 2000 that day i think. i've got all my travel booked. 28 quid return isn't bad going. you'll beat us though. we are in freefall just now. needing a few decent signings.

Nah. The polis are just bigger fuds up here and dinnae even get me started on the stewards:evil:

aye man .the taylor report was from a different era for certain cicumstances.feck me i can stand up with thosuands of others for madness ,a braw band and giving it laldy.and then i am at a ground with less than half capacity and threatened by yellow jacketed tosspots.its time for a change in the law or a relaxation.polis at mcd read this: take it easy relaxation.remember you got an easy shift and ye dinnae have to catch real criminals and peados,which i wish you would.

cool cool. we'll be lucky to break 2000 that day i think. i've got all my travel booked. 28 quid return isn't bad going. you'll beat us though. we are in freefall just now. needing a few decent signings.

We need to win, we're struggling to stay up as well just now. The difference between us and Everton the other day was frightening, they were fantastic and played us off the park. I was disappointed we didn't bring in a more experienced manager - can't help thinking that was a big mistake.

I don't think the difference is between England and Scotland, but between different grounds.

I don't travel away so much these days but in recent years the most over-zealous stewarding of the seating/standing thing was at Rushden & Diamonds. Instead of excercising some common sense, they piled in every time they detected a straightening knee, and created a potentially serious situation, with a lot of normally placid people getting very angry.

get ginger bakers rebel army on to it.

get him to organize an everyone stand up for the whole game thing. if EVERYONE in the ground stood for 90 minutes, then the police/stewards couldn't do anything...

Don't be so stupid.

I'd like to think that post was made in jest but I don't think it was.

get ginger bakers rebel army on to it.

get him to organize an everyone stand up for the whole game thing. if EVERYONE in the ground stood for 90 minutes, then the police/stewards couldn't do anything...

lets all do the bouncy bouncy in a fully packed mcdairmuid as well :rolleyes: