Pre-Season Friendlies - 2009/10

ryangordon86

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As pre-season friendlys go, that wasnt too bad yesterday. The two trialists dont look up to much. As Radders has mentioned elsewhere i think a lot of our fans are going to be suprised at how good Murray Davidson is, i thought he ran the show yesterday, wouldnt like to be Del having to decide which midfielders start this season. Undecided on Morais, the boy obviously has talent, but how often is he going to perform? Whilst Swankie is in the squad i dont really think we need another passenger, althought if i had to choose, i would pick Morais over Swankie any day.

Defence looked solid yesterday, Granny Dainger was solid, although you could see he needs to catch up a bit fitness wise. Still worries about our stiking options, especially if Jacko is going to be out for a while, as is being reported. Del is obviously aware of the fact we need another forward, as witnessed by the fact that the both the trialists yesterday were attackers.

Stand out player was the Norwich right back in the first half, total class! Unlike the linesman(Chopper on here i believe) who had a nightmare game, i thought Ruti and Del were going to "stick the nut on him at one point"!

Game was played at a decent pace - both teams created enough openings and both keepers were in fine form. Swankie created a lot in the first half and defensively were pretty sound apart from a couple of occasions when the line didn't move up on the shout of the centre back and attacking wise Savo looked very sharp.

Totally agree about Davidson, the play was deliberately being moved forward through him and you can see not only does he have lots of ability on the ball, but he has the determination to win it back when passes etc don't come off - he will be a very good addition to the team.

Oh and Aitchy, no nightmare's here pal! :wink::laugh:

Game was played at a decent pace - both teams created enough openings and both keepers were in fine form. Swankie created a lot in the first half and defensively were pretty sound apart from a couple of occasions when the line didn't move up on the shout of the centre back and attacking wise Savo looked very sharp.

Totally agree about Davidson, the play was deliberately being moved forward through him and you can see not only does he have lots of ability on the ball, but he has the determination to win it back when passes etc don't come off - he will be a very good addition to the team.

Oh and Aitchy, no nightmare's here pal! :wink::laugh:

oh Aitchy your spot on ,my pet hate on a sat is lines men that dont keep up with play ,may be if both ref and assistant kept up with play they would have gave NORWICH THERE STONE WALL PENALTY....AS THEY SAY AT SPEC SAVERS

AS AITCHY SAYS.......NIGHTMARE

Little bit confused about some of the reports of yesterdays game posted on here and have wondered if I was at the same game but even more confused by this story from EDP sports.

Praise for Norwich City's loyal fans

CHRIS LAKEY, EDP SPORT

Last updated: 17/07/2009 09:35:00

Canaries boss Bryan Gunn described the club's followers as "unbelievable" as they ruined any hopes St Johnstone boss Derek McInnes had of a "behind-closed-doors" friendly yesterday.

McInnes was clearly unhappy that City had revealed details for the match and refused to hand in a teamsheet, saying he would provide only the names of any goalscorers.

In the end that wasn't necessary, but it would appear he was always in a no-win situation after Gunn refused to keep the match under wraps.

"The fans are unbelievable," Gunn said. "I spoke to Derek McInnes yesterday and I think he was under the impression it was a behind-closed-doors game and I said, 'well not for us, for all our pre-season games there are 250-odd fans turn up and they follow us', so he had to accept that.

"I think he had a few trialists on the pitch as well that he was looking at and I think he was scared that in among the Norwich City fans there might have been a few others managers and agents having a look at the trialists as well."

He was right on that score - one or two suited gentlemen were lurking among the trees that lined one end of the pitch at St Andrews University, although former City great Kevin Drinkell, now an agent, and one-time City assistant and caretaker boss and now Brechin manager Jim Duffy, made no attempt to hide.

Thoughts please

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this should go in this thread or the one for the youth team news but since McLean, Anderson, Moon, Sheerin and MacDonald were involved, I'll stick it here.

A Saints XI drew 2-2 with a Rangers U19 side, supplemented by Andrew Little, at Murray Park last night.

David Heagney got both Saints goals, one a PK. All the goals were scored in the second half and substitute Heagney could have had a hat-trick. Former Rangers youth Darren Kelly, who also played for Saints in Oban, also had a chance at the death.

Little bit confused about some of the reports of yesterdays game posted on here and have wondered if I was at the same game but even more confused by this story from EDP sports.

Praise for Norwich City's loyal fans

CHRIS LAKEY, EDP SPORT

Last updated: 17/07/2009 09:35:00

Canaries boss Bryan Gunn described the club's followers as "unbelievable" as they ruined any hopes St Johnstone boss Derek McInnes had of a "behind-closed-doors" friendly yesterday.

McInnes was clearly unhappy that City had revealed details for the match and refused to hand in a teamsheet, saying he would provide only the names of any goalscorers.

In the end that wasn't necessary, but it would appear he was always in a no-win situation after Gunn refused to keep the match under wraps.

"The fans are unbelievable," Gunn said. "I spoke to Derek McInnes yesterday and I think he was under the impression it was a behind-closed-doors game and I said, 'well not for us, for all our pre-season games there are 250-odd fans turn up and they follow us', so he had to accept that.

"I think he had a few trialists on the pitch as well that he was looking at and I think he was scared that in among the Norwich City fans there might have been a few others managers and agents having a look at the trialists as well."

He was right on that score - one or two suited gentlemen were lurking among the trees that lined one end of the pitch at St Andrews University, although former City great Kevin Drinkell, now an agent, and one-time City assistant and caretaker boss and now Brechin manager Jim Duffy, made no attempt to hide.

Thoughts please

Did The Big Cheese do the honourable thing and resign as a mod over this decibale ? I cannot remember seeing any such messages.

Not sure if this should go in this thread or the one for the youth team news but since McLean, Anderson, Moon, Sheerin and MacDonald were involved, I'll stick it here.

A Saints XI drew 2-2 with a Rangers U19 side, supplemented by Andrew Little, at Murray Park last night.

David Heagney got both Saints goals, one a PK. All the goals were scored in the second half and substitute Heagney could have had a hat-trick. Former Rangers youth Darren Kelly, who also played for Saints in Oban, also had a chance at the death.

How did Macdonald perform?