Plan B if Del Goes

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jody isn't dissimilar from McInnes in terms of on the pitch characteristics. However, McInnes has a far longer record of being an inspirational leader on the park, especially with WBA, and he's kept his nose relatively clean. He was also at the tail end of his career when he was with us, and so his progression was fairly smooth.

Jody, on the other hand, was a very naughty boy in England and while I wouldn't put it past him becoming a manager in the future, it's not the time to be considering him for the job. If we do need a replacement for McInnes, we need someone experienced.

I certainly would hope Sheridan's name may be mentioned in boardroom meetings if Del leaves.

My only concern would be that he is currently joint-manager (and player at Barrow), who's to say that the other half of the partnership isn't the talented one? Would they want to come as a team!?

He may be able to get a heads up on talented players from his brother aswell (who is proving to be quite the gaffer).

Craig Levein was a defender, mind?

Yup, I'm quite surprised that so many people seem to assume that appointing a particular kind of player will produce a similar kind of team. I don't think there's any real trend to suggest that would actually happen. Paul Sturrock was a flair player but his teams are always very strong defensively and highly organised. And I really don't think that appointing Sheerin would mean we'd suddenly get a team that all play with his approach to the game (not sure that would be a good thing anyway - there can only ever be one Wizard!:)).

I'm not sure about Sheridan - he seemed to be quite a 'madcap' character and I'm not sure that's what GB would go for. Terrific player though.

A few people suggesting Morris too, but he's only 30 - surely that's far too young? I don't think he's anywhere near finishing his playing days yet. I'd love to think he's got some sort of long term future with Saints though.

I actually think someone like Craig Brown as a 'mentor' manager would be good for the club, I don't know that the SPL is the right place to blood untried managers right now though there are obvioulsy examples of it working and others where it is a disaster..above all else we need to consolidate our place in the SPL for financial reasons, did we ever believe it would take so long to get back up when we were relegated the last time!!!

Brown and a good assistant (possibly Sheerin) who would be given the chance to work towards maybe taking over would be a steady way to go..might not excite many but then again when Brown was Scotland boss we actually qualified for things so he must know something!!!

Much as I hate Rangers I think they have it spot on with what they are doing with McCoist and Smith and the added responsibility McCoist gets by picking the cup teams for them is all good experience for when Smith steps aside.

The rookie manager has served us well but next season is so important for the club that I think a bit of experience is needed...just my opinion, happy to be proved wrong!!

I certainly think you live up to your name. I could imagine Craig lets play 10 at the back Brown driving me away from football. I would rather have Berti!

I certainly think you live up to your name. I could imagine Craig lets play 10 at the back Brown driving me away from football. I would rather have Berti!

A manager that managed to take us to France 98 and give Brazil a real game of it or a man that couldn't even get us to beat Faroe Islands. Vogts was truely awful and has been sacked from every job he has had since us.

Brown's performance as Scotland coach was very good and if GB decided he was the man to take us forward then I'd accept that. The fact is he won't and never will be made manager.

Brown's performance as Scotland coach was very good and if GB decided he was the man to take us forward then I'd accept that. The fact is he won't and never will be made manager.

Completely agree - although things started to go a bit pear-shaped for him at the end, Craig Brown did a terrific job as Scotland manager (far better than Walter Smith, for example, who was lauded as some sort of hero despite never managing to qualify for anything). I'd be reasonably chuffed to see him here - but, as you say, it won't happen anyway so it's probably not something to worry about for those who don't like him!

A manager that managed to take us to France 98 and give Brazil a real game of it or a man that couldn't even get us to beat Faroe Islands. Vogts was truely awful and has been sacked from every job he has had since us.

The Vogts comment was meant to be flippant. I actually believe that Brown's tenure while statistically good set us back years. His desire to play foreigners who could not get a game for their own country stunted our own player's development.

The Vogts comment was meant to be flippant. I actually believe that Brown's tenure while statistically good set us back years. His desire to play foreigners who could not get a game for their own country stunted our own player's development.

Our players lack of ability stunted their own growth!

That's the equivalent of saying Jack Charlton set Ireland back.

Thats a fair point however I would suggest Charlton found better players. I accept Brown's record but for every Brazil there was a Morocco.

I'm not sure if the fact that there were better players available to Ireland at the time could be described as Charlton "finding" better players. It's not as if there were better "foreign" Scotsmen out there but Craig Brown simply failed to find them. Of course there are bad Craig Brown results that everyone can point to, but the guy took us to consecutive finals - something that's frankly unthinkable now. Plus, his teams at those finals were largely all "Scottish". I do agree that towards the end of his time his team selections became increasingly desperate and he came to rely more and more on a combination of "foreign" Scotsman who largely weren't good enough, and once great Scotland players who'd long since lost their legs, but I don't think it could be said to be solely his fault that better, younger players simply stopped being available. I wouldn't substitute guaranteed success in the present for the possibility of success in the future - Craig Brown's record must surely make him one of the most successful Scotland managers there's ever been? Morocco was a poor result but at least we got there - Walter Smith and Alex McLeish, who for some reason appeared to become hero figures during their time as Scotland managers, never even got us to the stage where we were able to share a pitch with Morocco, never mind get beat by them.

Dragging things back onto topic, I'd happily see Berti Vogts offered the Saints job if Del went.:)

I'm not sure if the fact that there were better players available to Ireland at the time could be described as Charlton "finding" better players. It's not as if there were better "foreign" Scotsmen out there but Craig Brown simply failed to find them. Of course there are bad Craig Brown results that everyone can point to, but the guy took us to consecutive finals - something that's frankly unthinkable now. Plus, his teams at those finals were largely all "Scottish". I do agree that towards the end of his time his team selections became increasingly desperate and he came to rely more and more on a combination of "foreign" Scotsman who largely weren't good enough, and once great Scotland players who'd long since lost their legs, but I don't think it could be said to be solely his fault that better, younger players simply stopped being available. I wouldn't substitute guaranteed success in the present for the possibility of success in the future - Craig Brown's record must surely make him one of the most successful Scotland managers there's ever been? Morocco was a poor result but at least we got there - Walter Smith and Alex McLeish, who for some reason appeared to become hero figures during their time as Scotland managers, never even got us to the stage where we were able to share a pitch with Morocco, never mind get beat by them.

Dragging things back onto topic, I'd happily see Berti Vogts offered the Saints job if Del went.:)

I suppose my view is tainted by the ending and perhaps all the excuses and failure to take responsibility at the end of Brown's tenure.

Lets get the campaign started Berti for Saints if the job is available. :laugh: