Griffiths signs for Dundee

ancientsaint

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they? Some football fans seem to love debating whose club is "bigger" (you see it all the time on Pie & Bovril), but I'm yet to see anyone come up with a convincing definition of what "bigger" actually means. What makes Dundee a bigger club than Saints? I can understand someone saying that Real Madrid or Man Utd are bigger than Saints as there's an obvious "size" difference there, but Saints and Dundee are two clubs who generally play at a similar level, attract similar crowds and compete for a similar standard of player.

The obvious things Saints have got over Dundee is that we're far better run, have a far better stadium and, at the moment, have a better team - but I'm really struggling to think of many things Dundee have over Saints.

Dundee had their worst season for decades last season but still pull in a bigger crowd than Saints.A winning Dundee team is by far the biggest entity on Tayside, history proves it conclusively.:razz:

Dundee had their worst season for decades last season but still pull in a bigger crowd than Saints.A winning Dundee team is by far the biggest entity on Tayside, history proves it conclusively.:razz:

Perhaps you can define what "biggest" actually means, then? Is it only about attendances for you? It's a strange thing to hear people bragging about a quality that seems to be indefinable and quite possibly mythical. Saints (like Dundee) are a fairly "small" club in the big scheme of things, but does anyone actually care? Personally I like to see my club succeed in areas that can actually be measured - namely by performances on the pitch.

As far as attendances go, I'm not sure it's particularly impressive that Dundee play in a town with over three times the population of Perth, yet pull in an average crowd only marginally larger than what Saints manage. If anything, that suggests to me that Dundee find it a massive struggle to attract the interest of even the people living on the club's doorstep.

Perhaps you can define what "biggest" actually means, then? Is it only about attendances for you? It's a strange thing to hear people bragging about a quality that seems to be indefinable and quite possibly mythical. Saints (like Dundee) are a fairly "small" club in the big scheme of things, but does anyone actually care? Personally I like to see my club succeed in areas that can actually be measured - namely by performances on the pitch.

As far as attendances go, I'm not sure it's particularly impressive that Dundee play in a town with over three times the population of Perth, yet pull in an average crowd only marginally larger than what Saints manage. If anything, that suggests to me that Dundee find it a massive struggle to attract the interest of even the people living on the club's doorstep.

Hypothetically speaking if you had say two football clubs in one town or city (they could even be on the same street) and one of the teams played in the top league for yonks and yonks and yonks whilst the other languished in a diddy league for yonks and yonks and yonks it's pretty obvious which is the bigger and better of the two and conversely which one is just a diddy wee club.

Is that a simple enough explanation for our Dundee supporting stalkers?

First time i've seen a Saints fan say that on here :shock:

Im a St johnstone supporter through and through, and like us all hate Dundee but in all honesty i think Dundee are a 'bigger' club in terms of support and also history. If Dundee were for example 3rd placed in spl i have no doubt they would have a larger crowd at Dens than what we could produce and due to Dundee's city status and population they can attract more sponorship/ potential money incoming than us. In recent history they have not been performing as they could have and like any club crowds have dropped. Also at the moment we are a better run club who are now in the spl, but i hate to say it- watch this space the guy in charge means buisness and has the money to back it up and dare i say it the crowd, wich will get bigger starting this season.

Guest Bertrand

QOS are building a good side for next year - the great unwashed may have to wait for their saviour's money to get into the absolute goldmine that is the SPL...

Spending money doesn't win leagues, especially the first division. You have to buy the right players who are willing to fight for the title. Harkins is that type of player but Griffiths is only there for the money so he doesn't have to deliver pizzas anymore. 3rd next season I would say, ICT to come straight back up

QOS are building a good side for next year - the great unwashed may have to wait for their saviour's money to get into the absolute goldmine that is the SPL...

Not sure aboutthat -they've lost the best player in the league in Dobbie, and Holmes is a decent signing but hardly a a like-for-like replacement. I wouldn't exactly be over the moon with seeing my team sign Rocco Quinn and Willie McLaren either.

I think it'll be an interesting First Division season again, but find it quite hard to name a favourite. Dundee are yet to prove that their new signings will make them a better team; ICT are apparently offering some surprisingly big wages for new signings so could get a few decent players in, but I teams nearly always find it difficult in their first season down; as for Livi, will they even make it through the season?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Partick and Morton both put in a decent challenge. Anyone know what their summer transfer activity's been like so far?

Im a St johnstone supporter through and through, and like us all hate Dundee but in all honesty i think Dundee are a 'bigger' club in terms of support and also history. If Dundee were for example 3rd placed in spl i have no doubt they would have a larger crowd at Dens than what we could produce and due to Dundee's city status and population they can attract more sponorship/ potential money incoming than us. In recent history they have not been performing as they could have and like any club crowds have dropped. Also at the moment we are a better run club who are now in the spl, but i hate to say it- watch this space the guy in charge means buisness and has the money to back it up and dare i say it the crowd, wich will get bigger starting this season.

In the 20 years I've been following Scottish football, Dundee have never done anything to suggest that they have the potential to sustain either big crowds or a successful team on a long-term basis. Coming from a larger city is all very well, but statistically the people of Dundee seem to be largely uninterested in the club - I think it would take a long-term period of considerable success on the pitch for them to turn that round, and I really can't think of any reason to think that would happen.

The guy in charge may well "mean business and have the money to back it up", but exactly the same thing could easily be said of Brooks Mileson. The fact is that if a club relies on the (supposedly) deep pockets of one individual rather than coming up with a self-sustaining business model, it's been proven time and time again in football that the sugar daddy strategy ends in tears.

Why Dundee don't simply do what Saints have done and live within their means I don't know. Saints have shown that it's possible to operate in that way and achieve success - so surely it's fair to assume that if Dundee were to do things in the same way, as a self-procalimed "bigger club" from a larger city with a marginally larger support, they'd soon be able to establish themselves as a consistent middle-ish SPL club. Instead, though, they are again embarking upon the cycle of: believe and take in anyone who claims to have money, regardless of how blatantly questionable that person's strategy may be > rely on that person's word and money to the point that all of the club's eggs are in one basket > overspend on players that the club itself can't actually afford > businessman loses interest/loses money/loses health/dies (delete as applicable) > club starts moaning about its plight and begging the rest of Scottish football and its fans for help > administration.