Old Perth - Picture Thread

25e Ainslie Place

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 26/03/2017 at 12:25 PM, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

One of my school buddies had his first job in there as an apprentice £16 per week, used to give his mum a fiver,  run his motorbike and still managed out 2 or 3 nights  out a week. It did help that beer was only 20p a pint! 

Ginger. What was the name of your school buddie? I worked with Garvie & Syme for 23 Years, and started in the High Street shop in 1967. I would be interested to know if I knew him. Cheers.

6 hours ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

Hi 70saint have sent you a pm with the name. 

Hi Ginger. Don't know the name. Was he there before 1967. If it was after I am sure I would have known him.

you are not getting Garvies mixed up with Hume ironmongers are you?

2 hours ago, 70saint said:

Hi Ginger. Don't know the name. Was he there before 1967. If it was after I am sure I would have known him.

you are not getting Garvies mixed up with Hume ironmongers are you?

He left school about 1974.

He worked in the place just across from the City Hall, was that Humes or G & S?

I remember visiting him at work but it is so long ago I It could have been either.

1 hour ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

He left school about 1974.

He worked in the place just across from the City Hall, was that Humes or G & S?

I remember visiting him at work but it is so long ago I It could have been either.

I that was Humes. Never mind, thanks anyway. COYS.

• 2 weeks later...

Pic. In today's Courier about a shop in St. John St. that has been sold & is being refurbished. Shows arched windows either side of entrance, with a metal gate in front of the door.

Name above the shop reads Martin and McQueen, which apparently was a butcher's shop.

Anyone remember this?

18 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Pic. In today's Courier about a shop in St. John St. that has been sold & is being refurbished. Shows arched windows either side of entrance, with a metal gate in front of the door.

Name above the shop reads Martin and McQueen, which apparently was a butcher's shop.

Anyone remember this?

If you can't no one else will 

On 1/18/2018 at 6:19 AM, HOODLUM65 said:

Anyone remember this?

Where about in St John St auld yin ? only butcher  I remember was Mathesons if you look in the window it still had the tiled walls

1 hour ago, john.w said:

Where about in St John St auld yin ? only butcher  I remember was Mathesons if you look in the window it still had the tiled walls

The one in the pic has tiles up the side of the windows. Tiles depict farm animals e.g. rams head in blue on white background. Think it's opposite McEwans old shop.

On 1/19/2018 at 5:49 AM, HOODLUM65 said:

The one in the pic has tiles up the side of the windows. Tiles depict farm animals e.g. rams head in blue on white background. Think it's opposite McEwans old shop.

That was Mathesons, I worked as a message laddie for Jacksons the stationers next door, I think I read somewhere on APB the tiles were to be saved

• 3 months later...