MacKay

Sainteesean

agreed. if irvine is fit then i cannot understand why mckay is still gettin a start.

If Irvine had been playing instead of Mackay yesterday we wouldn't have won the game. JJs goal came as a direct result of Dave Mackays persistence in getting to the byline and cutting the ball back for Jody. Irvine has never been within 20 yards of an opposition byline in his life.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ach, let them attack Gary. It obviously keeps them amused. Never allow facts to interfere with this forum.

The end of last season - ah yes that was when Gary eventually came on to a good game after dome distinctly average performances over the main part of that season. Now I don't want to slag him as I like some of the things he does, but I'd love it if Irvine did what he does in that first vid on a consistent basis - it would make him into the sort of player that I'd actually like in our matchday squad. But since we're dealing in facts, the fact is that he doesn't. Too often he'll backtrack or end up floating a useless ball in from 30 yards with no pace. Mackay has proved he is capable of providing a more effective dimension to our attack than Irvine since the start of this season, leading to some impotant goals. Mackay is the better player. Get over it.

The end of last season - ah yes that was when Gary eventually came on to a good game after dome distinctly average performances over the main part of that season. Now I don't want to slag him as I like some of the things he does, but I'd love it if Irvine did what he does in that first vid on a consistent basis - it would make him into the sort of player that I'd actually like in our matchday squad. But since we're dealing in facts, the fact is that he doesn't. Too often he'll backtrack or end up floating a useless ball in from 30 yards with no pace. Mackay has proved he is capable of providing a more effective dimension to our attack than Irvine since the start of this season, leading to some impotant goals. Mackay is the better player. Get over it.

The whole team were guilty of that. Irvine was the only one who improved.

MacKay is significantly better than Irvine, both defensive and in an attacking sense. Irvine won't get a sniff of first team action unless MacKays form dips dramatically or he gets injured. I think it speaks volumes that Irvine doesn't even make the bench most weeks. In some ways I feel sorry for him because he had interest from elsewhere and chose to stay here. In light of MacKays excellent form, he probably wishes he hadn't!

Del has played a blinder with the signing of MacKay. Everyone acknowledged Davidson as the important signing in that double swoop but I think MacKay has been more consistent and a more important player to us this season so far. Irvines tendancy to commit himself to tackles high up the park will never serve him well at this level, as we will probably concede a goal every time he misses the tackle. He got away with it at first division level and became somewhat of a cult figure amongst the Saints fans for his no-nonsense style but the quality of attacker at this level is much, much better.

It's true to say that Irvine has more pace than MacKay and would be able to keep up with the faster players in the SPL but even then, I don't think MacKay has struggled much in that respect. I think we're incredibly lucky to have signed such a quality player who has easily been the most consistent of our back four this season.

MacKay is better going forward but in the full back position he's not that great. Still think I prefer Irvine. I don't think its a coincidence that having a right back playing further forward than our midfield half the time has lead to us losing an awful lot of goals this season. We play with 3 defenders.

He's quality going forward though.

MacKay is better going forward but in the full back position he's not that great. Still think I prefer Irvine. I don't think its a coincidence that having a right back playing further forward than our midfield half the time has lead to us losing an awful lot of goals this season. We play with 3 defenders.

He's quality going forward though.

he is the about the only 1 who will consistantly get up the right wing unless morais is playing there

I think we're really fortunate to have two really good options at right back, arguably as strong as we've been in this position since having Cherry capable of playing there behind Treanor.

Gary Irvine came on leaps and bounds in the latter stages of last season and was easily one of our best performers. I thought he improved both defensively (in terms of positioning and in the tackle) and going forward, where there started to become more of an end product, as highlighted in the YouTube links above. It's wrong to say he was always capable of that in a Saints shirt though.

Dave Mackay is experienced at SPL level and had merely gone a bit stale at Livingston. He was a player that, if Owen Coyle had managed to sign, would have meant we'd never have seen Irvine in a Saints shirt. His experience playing across the back four tells over Irvine and he's more composed going forward and for me deserves the jersey at the moment.

I hope we hold onto both players for a few years to come.

Yeah but my argument is that Gray Irvine is better.

I dont think I could at this moment chose, I would have to see Irvine get a good run out at this level. So I will have to be one of the ones you hate and sit on the fence and say at this moment in time I am glad Saints have the two options to call on, never at the same time again though I hope.

I dont think I could at this moment chose, I would have to see Irvine get a good run out at this level. So I will have to be one of the ones you hate and sit on the fence and say at this moment in time I am glad Saints have the two options to call on, never at the same time again though I hope.

I don't have a problem with folk sitting on the fence per se; it's the dicks that tell me I'm controvesial and attention seeking and then when asked a direct question they have no answer.

A good example was when we signed Garts and I said he's establish himself as the left sided centre back because he was good. Dev had a square go but when I asked him how many games he felt Garters would play he went all quiet!!!!

In fairness to Dev, he has since debated with me and it was a pleasure.

It is great to have cover and depth in the squad. May the best player on form getting the starting place. I like Irvine but McKay may be tough to lodge from the team when he is inspiring form. Irvine will no doubt get a chance at some stage in the season and when he does he has to prove it himself that he should stay in the team. McKay, IMO, is a bit more flexible and can play across the back.

Del has played a blinder with the signing of MacKay. Everyone acknowledged Davidson as the important signing in that double swoop but I think MacKay has been more consistent and a more important player to us this season so far.

Totally agree.

MacKay has put in a lot of good performances this season and he's first pick RB on merit. A shrewd and versatile signing by Del in my book.

I, like many others, thought Irvine was outstanding last season, and thought we were lucky to sign him for another year. However Tiger MacKay got the nod at the start of the season, and i can't pick any flaws with him, i guess it's up to Irvine to work hard and win back his place!

Looking back, MacKay and Davidson for £50k is turning out to be a very good deal!