Hugh Dallas finally owns up

Percy Johnston

In an interview in last Sunday's "Sunday Times", so-called "top whistler" Hugh Dallas has finally owned up to the biggest refereeing cock-up ever seen at a Saints match. Asked "What was the worst decision you ever made?" he says:

"An infamous decision in a game between Celtic and St Johnstone at McDiarmid Park. I put John O'Neil off because I thought he had kicked someone. It turned out he was kicking grass from his boot. I was getting my book out, and saw my assistamt getting his book out, and I remember thinking 'I've got this right'. It costs me a drink every time I see John O'Neil."

Ha bloody ha, you a**ehole of a man. That decision put us out of the League Cup in a game we were totally dominating. And don't think we have forgotten the never-over-the-line injury time "goal" you gave the **** two years later at McD, either. :evil:

Dallas was always an absolute dickhead of a referee. What's even more frightening is that he is now "head of referee development" at the SFA. That explains a lot.

Everything went against us that night. The PK Celtic got to win the match was ridiculously soft, with the officials ruling that Davidson had handled the ball. There wasn't a Celtic player near him when he controlled it with his shoulder/chest. A worse decision than the one given against Dave Mackay in the Dundee Utd game this season.

He also red carded Roddy Grant in a display of a total lack of humour. Roddy handled the ball into the net but it was blatantly obvious and he wasn't trying to gain any advantage as it wasn't done in an effort to get us a goal and nobody claimed for a goal. It was a funny moment that everyone should have had a laugh about but not Dallas.

Terrible referee, whatever FIFA think.

Edited by Radford 72

Everything went against us that night. The PK Celtic got to win the match was ridiculous soft, with the officials ruling that Davidson had handled the ball. There wasn't a Celtic player near him when he controlled it with his shoulder/chest. A worse decision that the one give against Dave Mackay in the Dundee Utd game this season.

He also red carded Roddy Grant in a display of a total lack of humour. Roddy handled the ball into the net but it was blatantly obvious and he wasn't trying to gain any advantage as it wasn't done in an effort to get us a goal and nobody claimed for a goal. It was a funny moment that everyone should have had a laugh about but not Dallas.

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH Radders.. Get stuck in there:laugh:

Everything went against us that night. The PK Celtic got to win the match was ridiculously soft, with the officials ruling that Davidson had handled the ball. There wasn't a Celtic player near him when he controlled it with his shoulder/chest. A worse decision than the one given against Dave Mackay in the Dundee Utd game this season.

And he is a massive motherwell fan aswell.

In fairness to Hugh Dallas he 'owned up' to it years ago and made a point of calling in to the club shortly afterwards to personally apologise.

How many of today's referees would have the integrity/balls to do that?

And on that point how many managers and players publicly own up to equally important mistakes as Dallas has clearly done. Give the guy a break!

O'Rourke - when Sutton dived to cheat us in the 98th minute in season 01-02, the referee was Dougie McDonald. That was another absolute disgrace of a decision and in my opinion that kick in the teeth really put our heads down and became the main reason we got relegated that season.

that decision still gets to me. its one of my main arguments in discussions with old firm fans about the decisions and convenient injury time they recieve. unsurprisingly few of them can remember the match, never mind the decision.

In fairness to Hugh Dallas he 'owned up' to it years ago and made a point of calling in to the club shortly afterwards to personally apologise.

How many of today's referees would have the integrity/balls to do that?

And on that point how many managers and players publicly own up to equally important mistakes as Dallas has clearly done. Give the guy a break!

Might have been something to do with owning a glazing company and Geoff Brown neeeding windows for his houses, or is that too cynical

O'Rourke - when Sutton dived to cheat us in the 98th minute in season 01-02, the referee was Dougie McDonald. That was another absolute disgrace of a decision and in my opinion that kick in the teeth really put our heads down and became the main reason we got relegated that season.

Still hisses me off!!! :sad:

Was this at McD? I recall a free kick given just outside the box in extra time and Henprick scoring. Is this the occasion you are talking about or am I thinking of something completely different? I thought Larson had won the free kick too.