Unlikely St Johnstone Heros Past And Present

O'Rourke

Stewart Kennedy's clean sheet vs the Pars.

Matt Glennon's goal in Dingwall.

We've had our share of unlkely heros but who would have predicted the following this season:

Liam Craig atop our scoring charts.

Dave MacKay first in the player of the season stakes as a Centre Back and second as a Right Back.

Michael Duberry starring at the back.

Cillian Sheriden scoring a sensational goal for us against Rangers.

Who have been your unlikely heros past and present?

We've had our share of unlkely heros but who would have predicted the following this season:

Dave MacKay first in the player of the season stakes as a Centre Back and second as a Right Back.

Owen Coyle - for leaving us and opening the door for Sir Del to take over...:D

liam is fast becoming 1 of my favourites, vital to the team imo.

Andy B- one of the most unnatural players ever,but he got us to the premier with his overhead kick at Alloa.Also Henry Hall,the first time i seen him i thought no way is he going to be a player-feck me ,was i wrong!

Edited by dave mc

Guest Harry Curran's Love child

My old man Harry Curran

Grossly underated during his time at saints. Plucked from obscurity at Dundee Utd by Totten and went on to score some important goals for us, most notably the 1st season after we went back up. Also the scorer of the first saints goal at McD. Like Andy B, didn't look like he was a footballer but read the game so well and was a master at timing his runs into the box

Like Harry Curran, Ian Heddle was an underrated and under appreciated mainstay of our side for many games.

From around the same time, John Balavage went quietly about his task.

Joe Reid and Mickey Lawson taking over in goals was pretty good and Willie Brown I guess would also qualify for this category

Johnny Hamilton became an instant hero in my mind and that was before the game had started. The warm up had finished and the game was about to start (I cant remember who it was against). He was standing towards the ice rink end and at the terracing side of the pitch (opposite the stand). Well, he had an extra training ball and I remember him kicking the ball and I watched in absolute admiration as it curled across the pitch and then went straight up the tunnel. Absolutely inch perfect.

Edited by Capital Saint

Paul Kane for his headed goal against that 1st division side to send us in to Europe, good player but it was a wee bit of a surprise to see him leap like the proverbial salmon, I still say it came off that wonky nose of his! Cue the celebrations!

I remember that game so well, it seemed to take an age for Andy B's overhead special to hit that net but boy did we celebrate. I still remember my late father sprinting onto the pitch to congratulate any Saints player he could find! Andy B was a treat, even his own teammates weren't always sure what he was going to do next!

Gary Thomson R.I.P. Looked no more like a footballer than I do but in a team that was soft he added that certain something.His namesake Kenny finished off his career about the same time and always impressed me with his fitness considering his age and the amount of games he played.

A gummy school tecaher who led our attack in out first ever national cup final - Henry Hall.

A young Algerain whose international debut was cut short due to a post-colonial riot in Paris - Rajhid Djebail

A then amateur centre-back who captained the club and won a medal at the 1958 Olympics - Ron McKinven.

- A player who featured in a world cup final and had Luis Figo in his back pocket - Gary Bollan.

The unlikely hero's have not just played for the team but have also helped behind the scenes

From the past

Aggie Moffat - The woman who forced Souness out of Scottish football

Mary Gibson - Held in such high regard by Sir Alex Ferguson that he stopped the Man U team bus outside her home and went to visit her before the opening game at McDiarmid

From the present day

Kev the tannoy man - Who got away with the most subtle joke on Tuesday night with the peace of classical music that was lost on all of the **** :roll:

Paul Smith - Works away in the background and is a great link between the fans and the board

All those fans who run websites like this and supporters buses How many of us would be lost without weareperth or the the temple and how many would go to away games without the buses. These people play such an important role in keeping Saints within the reach of so many people

Soulful we were talking about ronnie last week, did he not design the changing rooms at Muirton, was an architect. Don;t know what he is doing now.

He was indeed an interior designer. Last heard of Ron when he designed a bar in Edinburgh - first generation cocktail bar may have been called Buster Browns. Think he may have emigrated New Zealand perhaps.