Goalie needed?

Jad

Time is going on & I would still like to see another goalie at the club. So come on fellow Saintees what do you think, do we need another keeper & if so who but let's have realistic names.

To start the ball rolling again....I still think Alan Mannus is worth a shout...what do you think?:?:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time is going on & I would still like to see another goalie at the club. So come on fellow Saintees what do you think, do we need another keeper & if so who but let's have realistic names.

To start the ball rolling again....I still think Alan Mannus is worth a shout...what do you think?:?:

I keep seeing his name mentioned by different posters on here.

Has anyone seen him play?

I'd like to see us check out eastern Europe. Dundee Utd have had great success with their keepers from that part of the world.

Del fecked up, twice.

Should have kept Main and pu his personal differences to one side for the greater good of the club. Main is very cheap and with the massive budget cuts would offer an incredible bang for buck. He is also vastly experienced and generally keeps himself fit.

Should have been looking for keepers last December when it became clear that Smithy wasn't good enough for us. Instead he delusionally considered that Smith was suitable for the SPL. If only he listened to me after the friendly at Ayr when I said he was a good quality SPL reserve.

We have been looking in Eire, not sure if we have looked at Mannus. I've never seen him play so have no opinion on him.

uI think we will be just fine if Shearer joins us. Another inspired signing that'll add depth to a squad that already looks strong enough have us fighting for 6th, if not higher.

Picking up someone from another club is almost beyond us these days, given that the bailiffs are not far from the door, so players of Mannus's quality are out of Saints league unfortunately.

Is Stephen Robertson still at Airdrie? Thats the kind of guy we should be going for if we don't get Shearer.

players of Mannus's quality are out of Saints league unfortunately.

Is Stephen Robertson still at Airdrie? Thats the kind of guy we should be going for if we don't get Shearer.

Think you are right about cost of Mannus which is a shame. As for Stephen Roberston think he would just laugh at the idea of coming back after we let him go...but then again stranger things happen at sea.

You tell me why we should be going for Robertson? He's a lower league keeper and always has been. He'd never cut it in the top flight. He's nowhere near good enough for Saints.

Think you are right about cost of Mannus which is a shame. As for Stephen Roberston think he would just laugh at the idea of coming back after we let him go...but then again stranger things happen at sea.

Nice to see 101 still going on about Alan main and so salled differences which meant he was dropped, nothing to do with him being old and pst it :)

I've no doubt that his age was a factor in Del's decision but it shouldn't have been. Age is irrelevant, it's all about playing the best XI. Main is better than Smith, who cost us point after point in 2010.

He is past his best but still better than GS

I've no doubt that his age was a factor in Del's decision but it shouldn't have been. Age is irrelevant, it's all about playing the best XI. Main is better than Smith, who cost us point after point in 2010.

He is past his best but still better than GS

IMO Main is no better than Smith. Remember the fiasco at Killie and against Rangers at mcD. Sorry 101 admit Del was right to dump main what he maybe got wrong was not putting him out in December and bringing in a loan keeper.

I think we need a new first choice keeper. I don't want to write off Smith yet, but he will have to improve greatly to be considerd as a long-term solution to our number one spot.

I did feel it was time for Alan Main to move on. The best keeper I've ever seen at the club, but would rather his wage was freed up for a new keeper to come in.

I think we need a new first choice keeper. I don't want to write off Smith yet, but he will have to improve greatly to be considerd as a long-term solution to our number one spot.

I did feel it was time for Alan Main to move on. The best keeper I've ever seen at the club, but would rather his wage was freed up for a new keeper to come in.

His wage would have been miniscule, an irrelevance.

IMO Main is no better than Smith. Remember the fiasco at Killie and against Rangers at mcD. Sorry 101 admit Del was right to dump main what he maybe got wrong was not putting him out in December and bringing in a loan keeper.

Two examples in two years. Let's try Smiths balls ups:

Hibs penalty (Easter Road)

Aberdeen flap (second McDiarmid game)

Falkirk (re-arranged away game) debacle "Saints keeper Graeme Smith didn’t enjoy the best of afternoons last weekend against Motherwell and he was left with a red face again in 27 minutes when Falkirk broke the deadlock"

Motherwell at home - see above!

Walkabout at home against St Mirren

Falkirk Home midweek game - kickout set up their goal!

Rangers Penalty

Rangers goal in the home rout

McInnes is well aware we need a keeper...

“It’s no secret we need to bring in a goalkeeper, and at least one other outfield player.

“Hopefully we’ll get one or two things finalised sooner rather than later,” he said.

The keeper that get's brought in will be first choice from first game of the season.

Two examples in two years. Let's try Smiths balls ups:

Hibs penalty (Easter Road)

Aberdeen flap (second McDiarmid game)

Falkirk (re-arranged away game) debacle "Saints keeper Graeme Smith didn’t enjoy the best of afternoons last weekend against Motherwell and he was left with a red face again in 27 minutes when Falkirk broke the deadlock"

Motherwell at home - see above!

Walkabout at home against St Mirren

Falkirk Home midweek game - kickout set up their goal!

Rangers Penalty

Rangers goal in the home rout

I am not going to pick holes in the majority of the ones you have listed but to blame a keeper for a goal when the ball he kicked ends up on the halfway line is bull. As for only 2 for Main in 2 years you are having a laugh there was a helluva lot more but I am not as sad as you to sit and list them all/

I am not going to pick holes in the majority of the ones you have listed but to blame a keeper for a goal when the ball he kicked ends up on the halfway line is bull. As for only 2 for Main in 2 years you are having a laugh there was a helluva lot more but I am not as sad as you to sit and list them all/

The ball in question went nowhere near the halfway line and was stright to a Falkirk player 100% Smiths fault

The ball in question went nowhere near the halfway line and was stright to a Falkirk player 100% Smiths fault

Smith made plenty of mistakes in 2010 but there was opportunity to atone for what was an admittedly poor kick before the ball hit the back of the net. Irvine's lack of awareness and positioning for one was dreadful and let Flynn in on goal. There is no danger that goal was 100% his fault, or if it was we'll be blaming every player that gives the ball away for goals conceded.

I agreed with the decision to drop Main as I didn't feel he was coming close to winning us points and was happy with Smith for the first few months but from when he conceded that cheap goal at Hampden he starting making too many mistakes. 101 Saint is maybe right in that McInnes should have looked for another goalie in January but with three on the books, budget constraints must apply.

I don't think Smith is nearly as bad as the form he showed towards the end of the season but I think, as pointed out by McD, the new man will be one who is being brought in with a view to being first choice.