This season coming...

Finners

afraid i've got to agree with the above two posts concerning who will win the league, not too sure about meadowbank though. Gretna already have a strong team, and look set to sign some quality players, and even take some influencial players from us. Far too early to decide though, but i'm optimistic.

I'm finding it quite difficult to come up with predicted finishing places, because I don't think there are any clear-cut candidates to challenge us (hopefully) at the top, or to struggle at the bottom. One thing that does look obvious to me though is that this league is there for the taking for us this season. Gretna might sign some decent players but they're going to have to change their entire team to be better than us man-for-man. Livi couldn't sign the Wizard so are clearly not able to attract better players than Saints any more (and the ones they've got are pretty poor) - and as for people tipping Partick!!?? :shock::?

I'm struggling, but I'd probably go for:

1. Saints

2. Gretna

3. Ross County

4. Clyde

5. Livingston

6. Partick

7. QoS

8. Hamilton

9. Airdrie

10. Dundee

I'd agree that it's far too early to judge for next season - we should wait a little longer before judging - but i can't see Partick doing anything remotely great and challenging us. QoS will depend how many of his pals Jobby can sign. Hamilton, Airdrie, Clyde, Ross County and Livingston will be the teams who will take points off each other but unlikely to mount a challenge.

All i can say is i'm interested in what we're going to do - a good start is essential for us, too many seasons we take too long to get some momentum going, but at least this season we'll have continuity as there is a far less turnover of players so hopefully we'll achieve our goal.

I am cautiously optimistic.....deja-vu here! :wink:

BH, as for Livi not attracting Sheerin - other factors may have come into it. He's enjoying his time at Saints (by all accounts) enjoying his fitbaw (by all accounts) and is settled in Perth (by all accounts) so if we were to offer him a contract i'd imagine he'd have taken it over any other club in this division (at least). You've got to wonder what wages Livi are offering though, and if they learned there lesson the last time they were down in this league. Sheerin is a Saintee!

He's signed one from us, John Henry. I've heard he is going to sign Allan Ferguson too. He wanted Allan McManus. :D:lol:

Would you be afraid of Henry terrorising your midfield if you were Oweny? :shock::wink: Especially IF he does move Mensing into midfield - Henry will get steamed! :lol:

I can see this season as being one of the tightest on record and would anticipate there being no more than 12 points between top and bottom. That is unless we can take the opportunity of using the elusive 'good start' to pull away early, then I would say 12 points betwixt 2nd and 10th

BH, as for Livi not attracting Sheerin - other factors may have come into it.

There's a lot of truth in what you say there. Two seasons ago I spoke to Sheerin just after he moved to Perth, and he blamed the daily commute from Aberdeen for his lack of form - he just couldn't get settled. Once he'd got his domestic situation all sorted out, the manager had changed and all bets were off, once again.

I think we saw the benefit this season when he got back into the team, even though it was only due to Janczyk's injury. He doesn't particularly want to move away again if he can help it.

1 The Saints

2 Livingston

3 Hamilton

4 Gretna

5 Dundee

6 QOS

7 Clyde

8 Airdrie United

9 Ross County

10 Thistle

What do you think?

livi will be nowhere near the top 4.....they are properly struggling. i can see another partick here by going down another division...but not cummin bk up.

livi will have hardly any money to spend and players. it will also be hard for there players to play infront of a ghostly stadium (they've only sold just over 500 season tickets so far) and i think tht will be there lot too.

but anyway it will be between ourselves and gretna........

What players have Livi got signed up for next season? i.e. have they ANY SPL standard players signed up?

Gretna seem to be fairly quiet in the transfer market which i wouldn't have expected at the moment - mind you there probably just getting over the Cup Final defeat and Miles Brookson will be discussing the movie about his life! :roll::wink:

They've signed Steven Tweed and supposedly Paul Shields.

I think they've only released three or four players so far.

i have heard that all players have somthing in there contract clause about that they can leave if they are relegated

if thats true i can see quit a few leaving, Mcnamee(sp) for one and probably Mckenzie and the lad hoolihan(sp) although i would like to see him in action.

I wouldn't have thought he would stay, i've not seen him that much, but people were raving about him a few months ago.

ye i know, he is defo for the future but i believe that he is playing with the scotland just now in the u19's championship.

i would'nt mind taking him from livvy but i dont think he is premier class just now, so he would need to go out on loan next yr (only if we get him)

personnaly..... i would love to see us get dundee on the last day of the season and say tht we have fallen behind them in points. and there scummy fans think they have won the league then we pull it back to a point or two then we go there on the last day of the season and win.

(i whish i wasnt dreaming LAUGH OUT LOUD)

or what if we won the league and relegated them on the last day of the season @ dens :!::!::!: ................. i wish :D

I sincerely hope Livi go down, but with Robbo in charge I think this is unlikely. Dundee will be an unknown quantity and I doubt Gretna will win the league although they will be a strong mid table side. Saints have a very good chance of taking the title but we need to get off to a really strong start, finding the goal scoring touch and getting the wins under our belt early. If we fall behind early on I think we would struggle to scrap our way into contention mid season.