Reflecting badly (Old Firm madness)

sleepless

another wee thing to ponder,

the nottinhill carnival costs 6million to police and there is more violence, stabbings, muggings there than at any football match.

will they ban that or even have a government summit.

of course the answer is no.

but football, that is easy pickings. east to have a moan about.

the point being there are alot more things in this country that need sorted before football.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another wee thing to ponder,

the nottinhill carnival costs 6million to police and there is more violence, stabbings, muggings there than at any football match.

will they ban that or even have a government summit.

of course the answer is no.

but football, that is easy pickings. east to have a moan about.

the point being there are alot more things in this country that need sorted before football.

Agreed....... but people dont get stabbed and kicked senceless all over scotland after a nottinghill carnaval.......

trouble every week the length and breadth of e***and

Really? What is the source of that information? Not saying it's wrong, but I go to quite a lot of games down here, and have been to grounds all over England, but can only think of one occasion where I saw anything even resembling trouble, and even that was fairly mild (certainly far milder than what appears to happen in Scotland in and around OF matches).

In general, I find the atmosphere at English matches to be safe and friendly - a million miles from the poisonous atmosphere the OF carry with them all over Scotland.

Of course policing football in England is going to cost more than in Scotland, but surely that's inevitable given that there are far more teams, far bigger grounds and far more fans?

Really? What is the source of that information?

COMMON KNOWLEDGE

Not saying it's wrong, but I go to quite a lot of games down here, and have been to grounds all over England, but can only think of one occasion where I saw anything even resembling trouble, and even that was fairly mild (certainly far milder than what appears to happen in Scotland in and around OF matches).

LOTS OF TROUBLE, LOOK IT UP, SCORES OF TEAMS ON A REGULAR OCCURANCE

In general, I find the atmosphere at English matches to be safe and friendly - a million miles from the poisonous atmosphere the OF carry with them all over Scotland.

DIFFERENT ATMOSPHERE FROM OF I AGREE BUT IT CA BE VERY DANGEROUS DOWN THERE

Of course policing football in England is going to cost more than in Scotland, but surely that's inevitable given that there are far more teams, far bigger grounds and far more fans?

NOT JUST THE SIZE, OR MORE TEAMS, IT IS BECAUSE THEY POLICE IT AS THEY HAVE TOO.

I WAS AT CARLISLE - WEDNESDAY LAST WEEK AND THERE WERE AROUND 20 OFICERS OUTSIDE THE PUB WE WERE IN AND VANS PARKED ALL AROUND WITH LOADS OF OTHER POLICE PATROLLING.

WHY, BECAUS OF THE POTENTIAL FOR TROUBLE.

IT IS THE SAME AT SCORES OF E***ISH MATCHES ANY SATURDAY.

THAT COSTS A FORTUNE.

Millwall - west ham last year cost 200k to police, the met got 18k from the club.

that didn't count the knock on effect from injuries, wife beating, cat kicking,etc.:D

I've been to quite a few Blackburn and Middlesbrough games. The Blackburn have always been friendly (never done the Burnley derby though) but the Boro ones are slightly more hostile in Town. My brother in law is a cop down there and I know the last Leeds game got a bit tasty.

Nothing was as bad as a Saints v Morton game when I was a kid though - scared the life out of me. I was only about 11 and there was running battles outside Cappielow. I think that was the last time I seen any bother at a game in Scotland, which goes to show that Scottish Football as a whole has very little trouble.

I have seen isolated incidents at Ibrox, Kilmarnock and once outside McDiarmid against Motherwell. That is it never really any real violence.

I did see a running battle in Amsterdam, but that was Ajax and Feyenoord infighting at the Scotland game. It was pretty scary being in the middle of that......

NOT JUST THE SIZE, OR MORE TEAMS, IT IS BECAUSE THEY POLICE IT AS THEY HAVE TOO.

I WAS AT CARLISLE - WEDNESDAY LAST WEEK AND THERE WERE AROUND 20 OFICERS OUTSIDE THE PUB WE WERE IN AND VANS PARKED ALL AROUND WITH LOADS OF OTHER POLICE PATROLLING.

WHY, BECAUS OF THE POTENTIAL FOR TROUBLE.

IT IS THE SAME AT SCORES OF E***ISH MATCHES ANY SATURDAY.

THAT COSTS A FORTUNE.

Millwall - west ham last year cost 200k to police, the met got 18k from the club.

that didn't count the knock on effect from injuries, wife beating, cat kicking,etc.:D

Not sure I'm buying that it's 'common knowledge'. It seems to be your own personal viewpoint rather than common knowledge. Of course there have been a few games down here where there's been trouble: the Birmingham derby, Luton v York and the West Ham-Millwall game you mention. But those incidents were widely reported in the press - if it was happening everywhere else, surely we'd know about it through the media? That's three games in a couple of years out of hundreds of matches taking place up and down the country. In fact, arguably the worst example of crowd misbehaviour in England in recent years has been from supporters of a Scottish club: Rangers in Manchester. And I can assure you that the behaviour of the Rangers fans that day wasn't something the people of Manchester are used to, despite huge matches happening in their city every week.

As I say, I go to a lot of matches down here - from the Premier League down to non-league, from Carlisle down to Plymouth - and have never seen any significant trouble. I also know a lot of other people down here who go to matches regularly and would tell you the same thing. And, to balance your Carlisle example, I went to Fulham v Newcastle a few of weeks ago and was actually in a 'neutral stand' where fans of both clubs mixed and wore their club's colours without any hint of trouble. If there was huge potential for trouble, the police would surely never allow that? They certainly wouldn't allow it at an Old Firm game.

Not sure I'm buying that it's 'common knowledge'. It seems to be your own personal viewpoint rather than common knowledge.

MMM, I MUST BE MAKING IT UP.

THAT IS THE IMPRESSION YOU GIVE ME:shock:

GIVE ME A WEE BIT MORE CREDIT THAN THAT.

Of course there have been a few games down here where there's been trouble: the Birmingham derby, Luton v York and the West Ham-Millwall game you mention. But those incidents were widely reported in the press - if it was happening everywhere else, surely we'd know about it through the media? That's three games in a couple of years out of hundreds of matches taking place up and down the country. In fact, arguably the worst example of crowd misbehaviour in England in recent years has been from supporters of a Scottish club: Rangers in Manchester. And I can assure you that the behaviour of the Rangers fans that day wasn't something the people of Manchester are used to, despite huge matches happening in their city every week.

As I say, I go to a lot of matches down here - from the Premier League down to non-league, from Carlisle down to Plymouth - and have never seen any significant trouble. I also know a lot of other people down here who go to matches regularly and would tell you the same thing. And, to balance your Carlisle example, I went to Fulham v Newcastle a few of weeks ago and was actually in a 'neutral stand' where fans of both clubs mixed and wore their club's colours without any hint of trouble. If there was huge potential for trouble, the police would surely never allow that? They certainly wouldn't allow it at an Old Firm game.

I WILL REPLY TOMORROW, AS I AM SETTLING DOWN FOR THE FITBA':laugh:

BY THE WAY WEST BROM WOLVES WAS MAJOR LAST WEEK, BUT NOT WIDELY REPORTED AS IT IS THE NORM.

LOTS MORE TO TELL BUT WILL DO IT TOMORROW.

Really? What is the source of that information? Not saying it's wrong, but I go to quite a lot of games down here, and have been to grounds all over England, but can only think of one occasion where I saw anything even resembling trouble, and even that was fairly mild (certainly far milder than what appears to happen in Scotland in and around OF matches).

If there is very little trouble down south why do the police wear riot gear at a number of matches. Expecially in Birmingham etc.

Under the freedom of information the chief constables of all forces release the arrest figures and brief info of all football related arrests made during the season. The one year i came across there was around 1200 arrests.

Reason that mainly you go to games down south and don't see any trouble is banning orders. It drives the trouble away from the grounds and into the city centres, pubs even nightclubs.

If you don't think that violence goes on down south week in week out then thats fine, it does though.

Police in some areas close all pubs in towns before and after games, seen it myself. Make the game a 12 o clock kick off and pubs don't open until 6pm that night. Why ??? Why would they do that if not to stop trouble.

If its the drinking thats the trouble up here the there is one political party thats trying to do something about it. But others say its too much, they made it openly and freely available. Yes drink is a problem, sadly they won't touch the supermarkets selling it less than cost and causes most of the polices troubles week in week out. Naw, the make too much money, hassle your corner shop owners who are trying to feed a family.

Edited by Wish i was Joe McGurn

Under the freedom of information the chief constables of all forces release the arrest figures and brief info of all football related arrests made during the season. The one year i came across there was around 1200 arrests.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/non-personal-data/crime-and-victims/football-statistics-2009-10/

This makes intresting reading.

and we all know that a very very small % of troublemakers get arrested at any given incident, if any at all.

so you can imagine the scale of the trouble.

Since January, there have been lots of fans jailed, cardiff and spurs to name a few.

upteen banning orders.

Chesterfield had 6 the other week. CHESTERFIELD???

i know there was plenty trouble with Spurs in Milan, not even reported, i spoke to someone that was there, he also tells me there is almost always trouble at Spurs matches.

as i said west brom wolves was major last week.

man utd liverpool, trouble outside the ground earlier this year, got it 1st hand from someone on this forum who was there.

it goes on all the time down there despite strict policing.

i have heard experts will say that it is as bad as ever.

Blueheaven, you are intelligent enough to look it up for yourself, i don't need to do it for you.

i could name a half a dozen matches this weekend where there will be a likelyhood of trouble and more with potential, and there will be more we wouldn't even think of.

if it does get reported it is in local papers rather than the nationals as it is not that big news.

Edited by wee john

So, Strathclyde Police may arrest players if they are deemed to break the law during a game of football - I hope the same is applied to rugby when they have a stand up brawl and start throwing (real) punches at each other :roll:

and you can get drink at the rugby.

discrimination:evil:

Since January, there have been lots of fans jailed, cardiff and spurs to name a few.

upteen banning orders.

Chesterfield had 6 the other week. CHESTERFIELD???

i know there was plenty trouble with Spurs in Milan, not even reported, i spoke to someone that was there, he also tells me there is almost always trouble at Spurs matches.

as i said west brom wolves was major last week.

man utd liverpool, trouble outside the ground earlier this year, got it 1st hand from someone on this forum who was there.

it goes on all the time down there despite strict policing.

i have heard experts will say that it is as bad as ever.

Blueheaven, you are intelligent enough to look it up for yourself, i don't need to do it for you.

i could name a half a dozen matches this weekend where there will be a likelyhood of trouble and more with potential, and there will be more we wouldn't even think of.

if it does get reported it is in local papers rather than the nationals as it is not that big news.

it can get a bit hairy down there, the police presence is noticible at most matches. it has to be.

and you can get drink at the rugby.

discrimination:evil:

Biggest pain in the arse ever. the number of times you are sitting at a game and these drunken gits are getting up to go for a pee is incredible. Then when they come back tehy have another few pints with them.

if they want to get pissed why pay £70 plus for a ticket.

Last time i went to the rugby i got freebie tickets from my work, just entry and no drink etc. Was a sunday 1pm kick off and it was pre drinking within murrayfield.

My tickets were where all the corporate tickets were and the folks there couldn't care what was going on in relation to the rugby, just when they were getting another drink.

They lasted 20 mins and off they went back to the bar.

They were tossers so was glad to see the back of them.

Scotland lost 33-0 to france. Gutted

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/non-personal-data/crime-and-victims/football-statistics-2009-10/

This makes intresting reading.

and we all know that a very very small % of troublemakers get arrested at any given incident, if any at all.

so you can imagine the scale of the trouble.

Yeah thats them john. Released every year.

Numbers don't lie