Saints vs. Elgin City 22/08/06

Radford 72

Time to realise Jacko on an unsuspecting defence? I think so.

Be interesting to know what formation OC will go with and as such it's difficult to try and predict a side. This isn't the Challenge Cup so I imagine we will play a strong side and Owen will be desperate for us to get back amongst the goals. Shez will obviously miss out and I doubt Ruti will be back as if anything he will have one day's training under his belt. Obviously the knock to McManus becomes worrying as we can't really afford to drop Mensing back to defence if Shez isn't available. Ando is a decent centre-half though and never lets the side down when he gets a chance there.

Because of the injuries, I guess we'll go 4-4-2:

Halliwell

Lawrie - Anderson - James - Stanic

Young - Mensing - Hardie - Sheerin

Milne - MacDonald

I'd start with Jackson instead of Peaso but it's a catch 22 situation as Peaso needs games to get back to his best.

Surely we won't be on the end of a cup upset?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go with Peaso and Savo up front, possibly even have Scotland playing. This isn't a game we can take lightly as progressing is the most important thing.

I think Jacko will play from the start against Queens Park

Jason should be suspended as his red card was for violent conduct.

From SFA website:

"A player who is sent off for violent conduct will have 12 penalty points added to his applicable League disciplinary record. In addition, he will automatically be suspended until such a time as his club has completed 1 match in a competition in which he would be eligible for selection."

MacDonald and Milne up front doesn't work for me. Since Scotland is banned, I'd definately take the opportunity to start Jackson alongside MacDonald or Milne. I don't really have a preference, maybe Milne just so he can get another chance to score a couple of goals.

Surely it's a better idea to try out Peaso and Savo from the start as it's a pairing we will have to use in the league sooner or later? I know what you mean about them not being a pairing that works but I think a few games together wouldn't harm their partnership and get them working together better.

I think that Saturday showed us that with our current crop 4-4-2 does not play to our strengths. I'd go 3-5-2 along the lines of

Cuthbert

Anderson-----Mensing------James

Lawrie---Young....Hardie....Sheerin....Stanic

-----MacDonald-------Jackson

Obviously I'd prefer to have Ruti, McManus and Scotland available. But I think this is a side that should be more than capable of beating Elgin. I really hope we don't stick Hardie up front and punt long balls to him, but I fear we may...

I would look to change some of the team to try and get us playing more joined up football.

Cuthbert (better kicker than Halliwell)

Mensing/James/Dyer

Milne, Young, Hardie, Sheerin, Stanic

MacDonald, Jackson

I would like to see if Dyer Stanic can combine to produce a threat from the left which may allow Sheerin more freedom to roam the middle. I think Hardie and Young are capable defensively to handle Elgin. Lawrie has been poor and Milne work rate and pace just give him the chance above Moon or Doris.

With MacDonald and Jackson surely we play the ball on the deck. (please)

I`ll go with.

Cuthbert.

Ando, James/Mensing, Dyer

Stevo, Hardie, Sheerin, Stanic,

Milne Jacko.

I know it is the League cup & we want into the next round at Ibrox but we have 2 games a week `til end of September if we are lucky so we have to keep most of the squad involved.

If this team can`t see off Elgin then we have problems .

Hopefully there'll be at least 1000 at the game tonight, would be a bit sad if there's not. Having said that, I'll be one of the absentees - I like wasting time and money so I'm going to Bury vs. Sunderland tonight.

Mon the Saints!

Team for tonight:

SAINTS: Halliwell, Lawrie, Stanic, Mensing, Anderson, James, Young, Hardie, Milne, Coyle, Sheerin.

Subs: MacDonald, Stevenson, Dyer, Jackson, Cuthbert

What a bloody waste of time Coyle picking himself. Perfect chance to get McDonald match fit and give Jacko a run out and he goes and pciks himself. I don't care if he scores a hat-trick tonight - he won't be playing on Saturday so whats the point?