When music thieves attack...

blueheaven

We all know about Vanilla Ice ripping off Queen and Bowie and then refusing to admit it, Belle & Sebastian carbon-copying Cliff Richard, and Ray Parker Junior nicking his entire "Ghostbusters" theme from Huey Lewis and the News. But which examples of melody-theft have gone under the radar?

I've recently smelled the following musical rats:

- "Cash Machine" by Hard-Fi is clearly "I'd Like To Get To Know You Well" by Howard Jones, only with different, inferior, lyrics.

- "Fine Line", the recent single from Paul "Even John Paul McBride thinks I'm over-rated" McCartney, is a rip-off of Dennis Waterman's legendary Minder theme "I Could Be So Good For You".

- Simon Webbe, formerly the one whose job was to say "Yeah", "Uh-huh" and "That's right" a lot in Blue, appears to be basing his entire solo career on The Lighthouse Family.

Any other thoughts/examples? Saying that the new Jamiroquai single sounds suspiciously like every other Jamiroquai single ever released doesn't count.

and going back the verve ripped someone off for bitter sweet symphony, cant mind who though.

On the subject of The Verve, it's quite spooky how similar their song "The Drugs Don't Work" is to Crowded House's "Better Be Home Soon". I've got a Neil Finn live recording where he plays the two of them alongside each other to prove it!

On the subject of The Verve, it's quite spooky how similar their song "The Drugs Don't Work" is to Crowded House's "Better Be Home Soon". I've got a Neil Finn live recording where he plays the two of them alongside each other to prove it!

yeah you are not wrong, forgot about that./

crowded house - top band.

• 2 weeks later...

that riff in the new coldplay single is a kraftwerk rip off.

Half of the crap music (including some rap) in the past few years is ripped from kraftwerke.

Just about everything the Stones did was three months and a half tone behind the Beatles, and just about all West Coast bands since 1965 are direct thefts from The Yardbirds and the Kinks.

Of course, all of the above ripped off Bo Diddley and Muddy Waters!!

Smudge 8) (but ripped it off from the Minks up the Almond, Minks up Der Al-mond, Minks up Der Almond......).

• 4 weeks later...
That Coldplay song "fix you" is a rip off of many a Sigur R

That Coldplay song "Fix You" is utter garbage - FACT.

A friend of mine's dad claims that "I Predict A Riot" by Kaiser Chiefs sounds exactly like "Is Vic There?" by Department S. I can see a sort of resemblance but its not a total rip-off by any means.

I'm 37.

I find it funny that the beatles may have ripped off lulu.

Ahem, ahem. The Beatles ripped off Lulu? Not!

I take from your name that you have spent the last couple of millenia at the bottom of some murky Scottish lake. You have my sympathy, I spent years and years in Hunters' Crescent.

However, please do not put the Beatles and Lulu in the same sentence. It's a massive insult.

Smudge 8) (and proper in support of the right thing!).

Ahem, ahem. The Beatles ripped off Lulu? Not!

I take from your name that you have spent the last couple of millenia at the bottom of some murky Scottish lake. You have my sympathy, I spent years and years in Hunters' Crescent.

However, please do not put the Beatles and Lulu in the same sentence. It's a massive insult.

Smudge 8) (and proper in support of the right thing!).

I think you'll find I said I find it funny that the Beatles MAY have ripped off lulu... they were both out in 1967.... Don't have dates as to which was out first...who exactly am I insulting??