Do You Follow An English Team

OldPoster

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newcastle's my english team - my dad stayed down there for a while and had a season ticket for a few seasons, including when they won the fairs cup in 69.

Only been to St.James once, back in 2002 - we spanked West Brom 4-1. The stadium and atmosphere were amazing, pints at half-time too! :D Plan to get myself back down there for a game very soon.

I'd toyed with the idea of supporting Grimsby Town when I moved down here, but they're just so astonishingly plopsy that I can't bear to spend any money going to see them.

Aside from that, I don't really see the point in just randomly picking another club and claiming to support them. If you can't go to see them, what's the point? So I'm only interested in supporting Saints.

Newcastle United shareholder :oops:

When i got into Saints Watford were having their best season finishing runners up to Liverpool so i always look out for their results

Off topic I know but i see the word "Barca" above. I have also only been to one "Real" game but we did win the champions league that night. Hope to go and see them again some time soon

fair play to you, but the riverside is pretty grim. i was there last season for the 3-3 draw with spurs, and they play recorded crowd chants over the tannoy to try and get an atmosphere going. its a pretty cold place too.

and if you do go, do not have a pre match pint in the "railwayman" which sits behind the away stand.

I actually had a feeling that would be the case to be honest. Everytime I have seen them on TV the ground looks half empty. :wink:

Off topic I know but i see the word "Barca" above. I have also only been to one "Real" game but we did win the champions league that night. Hope to go and see them again some time soon

I went to see Real once... they won the league... still hate them! 'Mon The Third Team Of Madrid...

I don't really see the point in just randomly picking another club and claiming to support them. If you can't go to see them, what's the point? So I'm only interested in supporting Saints.

I maybe only speak for myself when i say this but i dont claim to support any other team but Saints. I just like to see, in my case Middlesbrough win. Thinking about it i doubt i would go to a game unless they where close to where I live and St.Johnstone wernt playing. :wink:

Aside from that, I don't really see the point in just randomly picking another club and claiming to support them. If you can't go to see them, what's the point? So I'm only interested in supporting Saints.

I fairly randomly picked an English club but I do go and see them whenever possible. Going down on Tuesday night for the Cardiff game at the SoL which will be my 5th so far this season. Is this acceptable?

I fairly randomly picked an English club but I do go and see them whenever possible. Going down on Tuesday night for the Cardiff game at the SoL which will be my 5th so far this season. Is this acceptable?

I'm not saying it's unacceptable - different strokes for different folks! It's just that, for me personally, I don't see the point in trying to get in to supporting anyone other than Saints. That doesn't mean I have any sort of problem with others doing it though.

I'm not saying it's unacceptable - different strokes for different folks! It's just that, for me personally, I don't see the point in trying to get in to supporting anyone other than Saints. That doesn't mean I have any sort of problem with others doing it though.

I think the key word is 'follow' here guys. We support Saints but follow other teams as well :D

Having spent many years touring England when I was in the RAF, (not old enough for National Service I may add!!) I followed quite a few clubs and still look to see how they are doing in their leagues.

They are, in no particular order of favouritism - Leeds, Aldershot, Whitby Town, Barnsley, Stoke City, Doncaster Rovers, Boro,Boston United and Wycombe. Now that I am a civvy and live in Sheffield, I can add Wednesday(!) to the list.

In the same vein as DuncM, I've followed the teams local to where I was living at the time. Strangely, each of these teams gained promotion not long after me moving nearby. These include Leicester, Carlisle, Hull, Blackburn and of course saints. The downside is that most of them have been relegated soon after! I still look out for the results of these 'past' teams plus Welling United :oops: and my in-laws team Boro.

I think the key word is 'follow' here guys. We support Saints but follow other teams as well :D

i see no reason to not follow another side, last season for example i was a st holder at saints, managed a few away games, probably 6, and still found time to go and see spurs live about 15 times. with the advent of sunday football and the like its easy, finances allowing, to follow a scottish and english side.

I agree that you can follow or have a soft spot for other clubs, but you can only genuinly SUPPORT one club. For my sins that can only be Saints.

I followed, and supported, many clubs, both home and abroad over the years. Surely by paying an entrance fee you support. I ceased to support when I no longer went to see that particular team. I have affection for all the clubs I mentioned earlier and 'supported' them accordingly. I recently went to see Sunderland play against Wednesday and shouted for The Black Cats as I was in their end.

However my heart belongs to Saints. I follow all the time and support every so often by coming back to Perth to take in a few games every season.

If asked by anyone, I am a Saints fan, follower and supporter.

Tranmere were my original team, but I cannot imagine a world without Saints for me!