Clyde vs. Saints 28/10/06

OldPoster

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the majority of what SaintSam says, which makes a change. Yes, the referee was shite, but he could easily have sent off Mensing, and while Clyde were diving left right and centre, every time Stanic lost the ball he'd go down in a futile attempt to make it look like he'd been fouled.

I had a great view of Scotland's chance, and I think people are being a bit harsh on him. The keeper narrowed the angle superbly, so trying to take it round him was a decent choice in my opinion. Probably doesn't excuse the awful attempt though I suppose. Nice idea, shame about the execution, as Peter Brackley would say in Pro Evo. One thing I have noticed about Scotland is that if one of Halliwell's high punts looks to be dropping in his direction he'll jump a couple of seconds early and miss the ball, as if he's trying to fool the fans into thinking he made a decent attempt to challenge for it. Pretty sure that jumping for a header occasionally wouldn't be too detrimental to the rest of his game.

We were twenty-five minutes late for kick off.

I knew the roadworks at Denny would cause delays but had no idea the ones around the A9/M9 roundabout even existed. :evil:

1. Arriving so late could explain why you don't think the ref was so influential in ensuring we didn't win yesterday - within the first 5 mins or so he had allowed 3 blatant dives by Clyde players (on each occasion signalling he thought they had dived) and had lectured several Saints players and threatened to book them for non existant fouls when Clyde players kept on diving. It soon became clear that Goran knew he would be booked if not sent off if he went near one of their players again and resulted in by far his worst performance for months.

Non of the above excuses our way below par performance or vindicates Lawson who could/should have been sent off for his early booking, which was the result of yet another f*ck up by the ref and Lawson letting his frustration get the better of him.

2. The signs for these road works had been lying at the side of the road for the last week or two, but at no point did I see any sign to say what was happening and/or when. As I travel this stretch of road every day to Stirling Uni I thought I would have noticed something and would have posted a warning on here.

I agree.

I actually think Clyde should stop them from doing that because other sets of fans might throw stuff at them!

yes sam,

did you see the group of 6 or so young lads go down to the front of the stand where the ballboys were. the polis were right over moving them on. shame that

There was no mention of the delays at the first set of roadworks on the matrix signs either, when I was sitting in the queue at the first set, I noticed that the sign said queue and delay of 30 mins for the second set or works.

Worth knowing that, with a bit of warning, could have taken the backroads to avoid this.

TrafficScotland also had no mention of any delays, and I thought the only works were on the M9.

Can't beleive I arrived exactly at the same time as the 208 bus though, thank god I wasn't the only one late!

Will these still be there when we go to Airdrie in three weeks time?

As for yesterday, I think the buck has to stop with Owen and the players. Sure the ref wasn't great, a few of their players weren't exactly displaying great sportsmanship but some of our guys got dragged into a battle when they should have walked away and focused on passing the ball around like we've done in the past two games.

Lawson, I assume was guilty through his lack of complaining, is a disgrace and could have seen red for his stamp on O'Donnell when he was booked.

No point in scoring five one week if you are going to miss three chances like we did yesterday through Hardie, Milne and Scotland.

Got a horrible feeling we will lose next week and go six points behind Thistle then obviously miss a week so could be left well behind the leaders. Not got a good feeling at all. :(

Answer to a couple of points - road works are Central Region and according to the sign the first set will be finished today (will not hold my breath). The second set are on for some time yet by the looks of them - I will try and get confirmation tomorrow from the guys at work who are being driven daft by them and post an update.

Guest SJFC1988

Yeah for sure the match yesterday was disappointing. The referee didnt help and the cheating cnuts(especially no.10), but we should still have been able to rise over that and the cheating cnuts. Hardie milne and scotland all missed sitters, which on another day all three would have gone in. Mensing was lucky to stay on the park and lawson really lost the game for us- if we had 11 men in the second half i think we would have won quiet comfortably. I couldnt quite belive how savo failed to hit the target never mind scotlands miss one on one :shock:

As for partick next week we really should be able to turn them over. We will probably not miss scotland nxt week, and it will be interesting to see savo and peaso up front togeather.

Chin Up

Partick seem to be playing quite well just now & with the luck they have , finishing miles behind Morton & coming up as well as stealing most games this season they may just get 3 points at McD. If we play as we can & start the game in the righty frame of mind then there should be no prob`.

Still think that we have the problem that Owen has purchased a team to play 3 5 2 as Lawrie & Stanic are wing backs but he has found that that system doesn`t work & has to play 2 guys out of position.

Still think that we have the problem that Owen has purchased a team to play 3 5 2 as Lawrie & Stanic are wing backs but he has found that that system doesn`t work & has to play 2 guys out of position.

Mensing can't play centre-back as he has one terrible mistake a game and it would be punished so unless we bring Jim Weir back or move Andy Lawrie, we don't have the personnel to play 3-5-2 at the moment. I think when KJ is fit, we might revert to that system as McLaren is more suited to play through the middle than out wide. I really like Sheerin on the left of a midfield four, he makes very intelligent runs but he can do ok in a midfield three.

I wasn`t saying we should play 3 5 2 especially as you say apart from Mensing we are struggling for 3 centre back. Also agree that Sheerin is at his best left midfield. Was tryibg to say the problem is we don`t have 2 out & out full backs. Dyer could play left back with Goran left mid but I wouldn`t change the team anyway unless we lose to Partick. Of course we will have to change due to the lack of Jase & Lawson but it will be Peaso & Sheridan & the system will stay the same.

Owen says on teletex that he thought we played well. Guys at the game or P&B posters don`t agree.

I wasn`t saying we should play 3 5 2 especially as you say apart from Mensing we are struggling for 3 centre back. Also agree that Sheerin is at his best left midfield. Was tryibg to say the problem is we don`t have 2 out & out full backs. Dyer could play left back with Goran left mid but I wouldn`t change the team anyway unless we lose to Partick. Of course we will have to change due to the lack of Jase & Lawson but it will be Peaso & Sheridan & the system will stay the same.

Owen says on teletex that he thought we played well. Guys at the game or P&B posters don`t agree.

I wonder if he'll maybe start McLaren next week and go with the same midfield that played Thistle off the park at Firhill?

Fair play to the Clyde fans if they were happy with their side but whilst it's easy to look on top when you are five against three in midfield, they hardly troubled Halliwell and despite having a man less, we were the side stringing passes together, although none of our best chances really came from those segments of play.

Going back to the formation, I think Lawrie and Stanic have improved steadily in their new roles and yesterday held their line really well. I'm not too worried about them at full-back. I think the one main advantage of 3-5-2 is it covers us not having a natural right midfielder.

A poor display overall, if Scotland can't score a goal when it is on a plate like that then we should question whether he should be in the team, quote]

Rubbish.

He is our best player easily, okay he missed an easy chance.

Every striker misses some chances.

Up there as the daftest quote of the week.

We should have this as a weekly comp.

Daftest quote.

You're winning.

I don't blame him for missing that chance on Saturday, all strikers miss chances. I was more annoyed that he didn't square the ball to Sheerin a bit earlier when he chose to shoot from an impossible angle instead. He's still quality but had an off game - it happens.

My comments on the game.

Sloppy, no real show of great skill from any particular player, but the CLyde finish 5 from time was a nice strike. Saints keeper maybe could have done better.

Plenty of fouls. The referee in the first alf had absolutely no idea.

Mensing = waste of space on the wing. Central midfield looks alot more effective.

Stanic, best player in the team in terms of composure, work rate and time on the ball.

Although it was a scappy game Saints did well especially after keeping both strikers on the pitch after the red. 3 man midfield of Hardie, Sheerin and Mensing did well but in my opinion it was only because the Clyde team was tactically poor.

Malone had that much space in behind Mensing in the first half but nobody in the Clyde team was god enough to spot him or be able to launch a 40 yard pass to him. If they could have done that, Saints would have been in big trouble. In the 2nd half he had even more space but apparently he was invisible to is own players. Lawrie was nowhere near him.

Saints had the best 3 chances, although Milnes was the most difficult and I dont blame him but Hardie should have done better and there are no excuses for Scotland. He chocked. Simple as that. He could have curled it around the right of the keeper, he could have chipped the keeper, but instead he just chocked and had a shocker, not even a shot at goal in the end.

Then Lawrie was out of position, nobody picked up Imre, whatever his name is, and he raced in to score.

Credit to Coyle for going for it, but like i said if Clyde had more brains they could have exploited the 3 man Saints midfield in the 2nd half.

Yeah the ballboys were a laugh. Slow to get the balls back, not enough spare balls around the pitch, reminds me of m school days, and the way they ran in front of the away fans fliping the bird was for me, amusing. :lol:

Cheers to Watty for the scarf, you da man. 8)

Hope to catch another game around his time next year.

Scotland should have taken that chance with his eyes closed, instead all he did was run at the keeper with the ball, if some find this acceptable from someone who calls themselves a professional then thats up to them.

There were several bad mistakes during that game which cost us what should have been 3 easy points.

Hardies miss (although I didn't see this)

Savos volley over the bar

Lawson's red card

Andy Lawrie

Scotlands god awful miss

Who was captaining the side on Saturday? They should have ensured the players calmed down and didn't react to Clydes antics, we were lucky to finish that match with 10 men the way we went about it.