I guess the question is why.......???

eddie malone

After our cup heroics, beating United, hosing on Rangers in their own back yard and taking Hibs all the way, in a game we really should of won.

I guess the question is why can we not produce the goods against the so called diddy teams of this league week in week out???

Winning last saturday was another magic performance but it always seems to only be the big games we choose to raise our game??

Why????

another fair point but surely we should be used to it by now. Been in the 1st division a good few seasons now and the majority teams we play know if they sit in tight then they have a very good chance of taking something from us.

I would just love to see us being that bit more attack minded against some of these "so called" lesser teams.

We clearly have good player in the squad, take the shackles of OC and see what happens.

Falkirk tomorrow is a prime opportunity to just go for it.

I don't know anybody that calls them diddy teams except the OF diddy fans. They are very well coached particularly in defence and are very difficult to break down. I also know people that believe our players are big time players and produce better performances in front of bigger crowds or where the atmosphere is upbeat like the Gretna game. In fact there was an interview with Jason which hinted at that. Luckily we've got Falkirk and Dundee coming up so that theory can be tested and we'll therefore win both games or at least play really well. :)

I think a lot of it has to do with nerves - Saints are always cautious about making a mistake (understandably at times when the McD fans can turn on them easily) and seem more willing to let teams come at them.

I've said all season that we have no one to fear and we should be a lot more positive from the kick-off.

Could it also be the fact that these teams tend to play a better quality of football and this in turn allows our players to perform?

This is the most accurate post so far. Saints always play better against teams who play attacking football, not just exclusive to SPL teams but also Partick and Gretna. Saints have a team full of SPL quality players so our guys will always relish the chance to play open football, the style we're most suited to, than against teams who'll flood the midfield etc

It's not all that unusual for lower division clubs to raise their game when facing the bigger sides though, is it? We've seen plenty of teams from lower down the leagues than ourselves put up some impressive fights in Cup matches against Saints over the years, but it doesn't mean those teams were genuinely better than us.

Anything can happen in Cup games - where you really judge a team is their league matches.

The answer is human nature. Don't complicate things. :D

We are animals, yes? Smarter than the average bear, but we have instincts and one of them is the capacity to let our guard down when something seems easy, or pump some more adrenalin when there is a chance to shine or things look like a challenge.

In sport it occurs, and only the elite teams, usually the ones that have been together for a few years that have a winning mentality can dispose of the 'lesser teams' regularly by adapting their game.

In football especially being adaptable is one of the most important attributes. In the cups you are playing lower division and higher division clubs, with the promotion/relegation factor also in play. If your play is static you are going to struggle against teams with different styles.

A classic example of this is tennis, although an individual game.

The alternative to adapting is obviously knowing your strengths, and just going for it. Man U are doing this at the moment.