First Pre-Season Signing?

Top Dog

First Summer Signing?  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

hopefully mensing and scotland will see what a great set of players we have and a great manager and fantastic fans, hopefully that will keep them at st. johnstone!

if they can wait another season for spl football they should stay!

Don't know what Mensing will do really hope we can hold on to him as for Scotland no chance he's staying he's as good as gone, with out trying to knock Jason Scotland there are better players in the team that I'd rather keep than him

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hopefully mensing and scotland will see what a great set of players we have and a great manager and fantastic fans, hopefully that will keep them at st. johnstone!

if they can wait another season for spl football they should stay!

Thats the stuff Rodgers - Keep the Faith ;)

I have no idea who will be the first signing of the summer, but I know that Owen Coyle needs to get this, and all his signings spot-on if we are to win what is going to be a very tight league next season.

In midfield a young(ish), pacy player would be extremely useful, while a consistent right winger would allow Mensing to step into the centre more often (instead of Mcinnes). A new striker to replace Scotland is obviously crucial and I believe this needs to be a target man someone to hold the ball up and bring aforementioned winger and midfielder into play.

What is even more important is that whoever comes in has the right attitude and mentality to handle chasing promotion. Coyle has done a good job so far, but if we are all honest there have been some really shoddy performances this season when the players looked like they could not be bothered (away to Airdrie, the first match at Broadwood, Ayr United in the cup). Apart from the big games, it is only really as the season has come to a close that we have seen a real team effort (McLaren excepted) and it is this that has been crucial to us coming so close (oh so close!) to promotion. If players like Janzcyk, Mclaren and quite often, Scotland had shown some more grit and determination to play every game at the intensity we have seen in the past few weeks, I am convinced we would have won the league.

In summary, nae shirkers, I will take one Martin Hardie for three Paul Hartleys anyday, it feels like we have a 'team' at last, let's make sure we build on that, not disrupt it.

A new striker to replace Scotland is obviously crucial and I believe this needs to be a target man someone to hold the ball up and bring aforementioned winger and midfielder into play.

What use would a target man be to us? We don't play that style of football, we rely on getting our strikers in behind opposition defences. I like a good target man but none that would be avaiable to us would flourish at Saints as we don't play that kind of game.

Offiong? :lol:

How ever did he come into all this?

Both Gardyne and Offiong would be terrific signings. Offiong's goal against us on Saturday was one of the best i've seen all season. If Jason were to leave and with McMenamin following Gretna into the SPL, Offiong, IMO, is the best striker in the league. He'd be a terrific acquisition and pretty much a direct replacement for Jason.

Offiong? :lol:

How ever did he come into all this?

Both Gardyne and Offiong would be terrific signings. Offiong's goal against us on Saturday was one of the best i've seen all season. If Jason were to leave and with McMenamin following Gretna into the SPL, Offiong, IMO, is the best striker in the league. He'd be a terrific acquisition and pretty much a direct replacement for Jason.

I think Offiong is definitely overrated - he did score a great goal on Saturday but I think he missed easier chances against us and I didn't see him do much else.

What use would a target man be to us? We don't play that style of football, we rely on getting our strikers in behind opposition defences. I like a good target man but none that would be avaiable to us would flourish at Saints as we don't play that kind of game.

I reckon a target man is needed for a few reasons:

1) Scotland's holding up of the ball and ability to draw defenders towards him will be missed, Peaso and Milne are OK at this but nothing special

2) I have seen too many games over the last season at places like Broadwood or Shyberry Whatsit where the opponents sling everyone in front of the penalty box and make us try and play through them, a depressingly effective tactic against us which results in lots of hopeful punts/passes from Sheerin and Hardie. A target man allows us to make more of these punts, hold the ball up, vary the style

3) If players like Willie are going to play out on the wing, how's about giving him something to aim at (other than consistency, commitment and fitness)

4) Like it or not, we are a Scottish 1st Division team and at times will be pressured into playing long ball due to the kick and rush nature of games, someone with a bit of strength can really help in these situations. Does not need to play from the start all the time, but can certainly be used late on instead of the never worked 'get James up front' tactic.

Like it or not, we are a Scottish 1st Division team and at times will be pressured into playing long ball due to the kick and rush nature of games, someone with a bit of strength can really help in these situations. Does not need to play from the start all the time, but can certainly be used late on instead of the never worked 'get James up front' tactic.

I always thought Rutkiewicz might make a good makeshift targetman for us in an emergency. He used to play up front during his Aberdeen days, and I'm sure he could potentially do a better job up there than James does when he get thrown forward.

I reckon a target man is needed for a few reasons:

1) Scotland's holding up of the ball and ability to draw defenders towards him will be missed, Peaso and Milne are OK at this but nothing special

2) I have seen too many games over the last season at places like Broadwood or Shyberry Whatsit where the opponents sling everyone in front of the penalty box and make us try and play through them, a depressingly effective tactic against us which results in lots of hopeful punts/passes from Sheerin and Hardie. A target man allows us to make more of these punts, hold the ball up, vary the style

3) If players like Willie are going to play out on the wing, how's about giving him something to aim at (other than consistency, commitment and fitness)

4) Like it or not, we are a Scottish 1st Division team and at times will be pressured into playing long ball due to the kick and rush nature of games, someone with a bit of strength can really help in these situations. Does not need to play from the start all the time, but can certainly be used late on instead of the never worked 'get James up front' tactic.

Fair reply but I still think we are only ever going to use one occasionally, as it doesn't suit the way Coyle wants us to play. I think Peaso can hold the ball up as well as Jason and if Hardie can get forward and support, it would give us a target if it was needed but we wouldn't be a striker down.

Firstly we need either Livingstons Dave McKay or Clydes Neil McGregor to replace Lawrie at right back. Then we should sign Masterton to get some young legs in the centre of our midfield. Also, for our problem at the right of midfield we should acquire Ross Countys captain Don Cowie. Finally, to replace Jason I would sign Iain Russell from Brechin who has smashed in 22 league and cup goals so far this season.

Firstly we need either Livingstons Dave McKay or Clydes Neil McGregor to replace Lawrie at right back. Then we should sign Masterton to get some young legs in the centre of our midfield. Also, for our problem at the right of midfield we should acquire Ross Countys captain Don Cowie. Finally, to replace Jason I would sign Iain Russell from Brechin who has smashed in 22 league and cup goals so far this season.

Is that the same Iain Russell who played for First Division teams in the past, and was a 'mare?

McGregor is like Steven Anderson, much more composed at centre-half. If we signed him, it would be to play in that position I'd hope and not get into a situation like we had with Ando where you shatter a young guy's confidence by playing him out of position.

Masterton is an interesting one as he couldn't even get in the Clyde side when McHale was there but really seems to have come into his own since he left. Another guy with injury problems though.

Don Cowie has signed a pre-contract agreement with Inverness Caley Thistle.

Tommy Campbell was supposedly watching Iain Russell on Wednesday night.

Is that the same Iain Russell who played for First Division teams in the past, and was a 'mare?

I don't think he's ever played at this level? He was at Rangers and Motherwell then dropped down to Dumbarton.

I wouldn't take any of the players Falkirk want to keep (Latapy excluded) let alone their rejects.

I wouldn't go that far but certainly none of the names on the free transfer list are particularly inspiring. Maybe give McStay a chance in pre-season to win a deal.

Guest Nairn Saint

ICT are stalling on offering Cowdenbeath's 23 goal striker Liam Buchanan a deal as they try to hold onto Craig Dargo. He was on trial with them earlier in the year and, by all accounts looks a reasonable prospect.

Certainly worth a look whilst Calamity Thistle procrastinate.

ICT are stalling on offering Cowdenbeath's 23 goal striker Liam Buchanan a deal as they try to hold onto Craig Dargo. He was on trial with them earlier in the year and, by all accounts looks a reasonable prospect.

Certainly worth a look whilst Calamity Thistle procrastinate.

Post on P&B mentions him joining Dundee before the end of the week. Difficult one to judge as, like Russell, he's never played at this level. Could go either way.

To be honest, there isn't one striker available to us in Scotland that could come close to replacing Jason IMO. Need to look further afield.