The Travel Thread

TheBigCheese

Ok, anyone heading for St Mirren tomorrow nigh by road had best leave VERY early as the delays getting into the road works at the M80 were about 55 minutes at 5:00pm heading towards Glasgow. Make sure you have time bearing in mind you will also be hitting the M8 rush hour as well as the M74 extension roadworks on the Kingston Bridge exit. I would estimate 2 1/2 - 3 hours for the journey I am afraid.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minute delay at 6:45 this morning and Radio Scotland warning of delays up to 2 hours during peak times. Took 1hour 15 minutes leaving at 6:15am from Perth to centre of Glasgow today

Lanes have been redesigned slightly so may help but stay in outside lane as this misses the oncoming traffic at Condorrat. Once past M73 all is clear.

Alternative routes are busy, if you try via Kilsyth you will need to go on to Kirkintilloch before swinging down towards Erskine Bridge. Do not try going through Westfield in Cumbernauld as this is badly snarled up all the time just now.

M90 has roadworks northbound at Kinross but M8 has works at Livingston and these are casusing hold-ups too but may not be as bad as A80.

M8 has roadworks at the new M74 junction on south side of Kingston Bridge so you will hit traffic at Townhead (J15) and slow until Helen Street.

10 minute delay at 6:45 this morning and Radio Scotland warning of delays up to 2 hours during peak times. Took 1hour 15 minutes leaving at 6:15am from Perth to centre of Glasgow today

Lanes have been redesigned slightly so may help but stay in outside lane as this misses the oncoming traffic at Condorrat. Once past M73 all is clear.

Alternative routes are busy, if you try via Kilsyth you will need to go on to Kirkintilloch before swinging down towards Erskine Bridge. Do not try going through Westfield in Cumbernauld as this is badly snarled up all the time just now.

M90 has roadworks northbound at Kinross but M8 has works at Livingston and these are casusing hold-ups too but may not be as bad as A80.

M8 has roadworks at the new M74 junction on south side of Kingston Bridge so you will hit traffic at Townhead (J15) and slow until Helen Street.

The construction traffic uses the inside lane as do the artics as the outside lane is not wide enough. As kevin says ,best to keep to the outside lane.

The M8 at Livingston isn't too bad, it's down to 40 but still has 2 lanes so the traffic moves along ok (well most of the time anyway):wink:

I would estimate 2 1/2 - 3 hours for the journey I am afraid.

Cheers for this tip off. Was obviously aware of the roadworks so was always gonna leave in plenty time but made sure we were away from Perth at 4:30pm. A80 was busier because of the closure of the M9 and it took us a good hour to get through the roadworks and the M8 was extra busy as well. Rolled into Paisley about 7:15pm.

Was back in Perth for 11:15pm though.

Would emphasise to anyone not there last night but intended heading to Killie that if you are going via Glasgow, to give yourself plenty of extra time. I think there might also be roadworks on the M77?

Can anyone (e.g. guys in the area like Scobby) give me any reasons why this route isn't alright...

M90 onto M8, then use the A725 through Bellshill and Blantyre/Hamilton, onto A726, joining the M77 at junction 5 and then obviously just down to Kilmarnock. Basically, what I'd like to know is if it'll be a nightmare getting through Bellshill etc...

Last time we went to Killie, we came off the M8 at junction 6, to eventually join the A71 but got held up in traffic on that stretch between Motherwell and Hamilton.

Route I mentioned is down as taking bang on two hours (96 miles) on Google maps.

Can anyone (e.g. guys in the area like Scobby) give me any reasons why this route isn't alright...

M90 onto M8, then use the A725 through Bellshill and Blantyre/Hamilton, onto A726, joining the M77 at junction 5 and then obviously just down to Kilmarnock. Basically, what I'd like to know is if it'll be a nightmare getting through Bellshill etc...

Last time we went to Killie, we came off the M8 at junction 6, to eventually join the A71 but got held up in traffic on that stretch between Motherwell and Hamilton.

Route I mentioned is down as taking bang on two hours (96 miles) on Google maps.

I dont know Bellshill that well Radford, certainly not as a through road, but the last time I was there there were road closures and redirections etc.

After the Haggs roadworks it should be straight through M80/M8/M77. Noticed Rangers play Sunday which should make it reasonably ok.

Hope everyone got there fine, apparently the area was fine on Saturday

Motherwell, Hamilton and Bellshill are fine atm to my knowledge, the biggest issue is the 40 miles per hour average speed cameras, added this to the usual busy area that is castle carey to auchincairns, then it can add to some lenghy delays

New hazards this weekend for any Saintees travelling from Glasgow area.

M80 at the junction of the M73 will be down to ONE lane in each direction all day Saturday and Sunday. Imagine the normal delays and double them..... :shock:

Just to compound this, there is a strike on First ScotRail on Saturday meaning there are no other ways to get to Perth other than driving via Edinburgh or Falkirk.

Just to compound this, there is a strike on First ScotRail on Saturday meaning there are no other ways to get to Perth other than driving via Edinburgh or Falkirk.

Not exactly.

From the Scotrail website.

It is our intention to operate 9 out of 10 services.

For example, we are aiming to run 100% of services between Edinburgh - Glasgow Queen Street, Edinburgh/Glasgow - Aberdeen, and Edinburgh/Glasgow - Inverness.

Thanks for the travel info - I have just been trying to work out what time to leave for Saturday's game. You gave better info than the Travel Scotland website - looks like if I leave before sun up, I'll get there in time. Not bothered about getting back after!

• 2 weeks later...