PITCH INSPECTION AT 12.30pm

Paul@StJohnstone

Can the referee impose a delayed kick-off?

Firstly, don't put yourself down - I never said you were ill-educated or of low intellect, just that you don't seem to think as to the ins and outs of a decision before spouting copious amounts of "tabloid-style" tittle-tattle on the forum.

Anyway, my last point on this as, like Ray Blair and many others I am getting fed up of this thread!

The referee cannot force a change in kick off time. The kick off time is set by the authorities in charge of the match (in this case the SFL) and can only be delayed by the referee in certain instances, generally being an issue with one club not having turned up (which would generally be because of a delay), an issue with the stadium, such as floodlight failure, or if the issue relates to a public safety matter (such as large crowds outside trying to get in and the police raise a concern that if kick off is on time then there could be public order offences) and the like.

An issue such as the weather is generally not to be taken into account, though if it was a freak condition, such as lightning, then it may be feasilble for the match to be suspended for a short period of time.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of things to point out here:

The field at Dunfermline was part of a UEFA pilot project and of the 7/8 installed, Dunfermline was the only one to use a non infill tile system. Normally artificial turf fields are laid out in 4 metre widths across the whole pitch and infilled with rubber crumb to help make the surface more comfortable underfoot - but Dunfermline was in 2x2 m tiles with no rubber infill.

The technology in artificial turf has improved tenfold in only the last 4 or 5 years to which extent it is now quite common in European football. Sweden, Norway and Russia use these pitches all the time (certainly helps with their low temperature) but there is also a team in the Dutch Premier league (Almelo) who use an artificial pitch and it gets great reviews.

Yes, the original fields at Luton and Preston were horrible and the UK only remembers the bad ones. Dunfermline was another example but was not a typical artificial pitch.

There are many advantages of having one - not least the financial gains from hiring the pitch, but also increased training time and no call - offs from frozen pitches. They can be played/trained on for 80 or 90 hours a week compared to only around 20 for a natural grass pitch.

The technology in them has advanced and they're certainly worth considering.

Yes I accept your points about the benefits of artificial pitches and I think one day in the future they will be common place. I was just hinting that the SPL are not too keen on them and I think both Dunfermline and Hamilton have had to get rid of them on entry to that league. They will definitely improve.

did hamilton have to get rid of it? or did they just replace it with a grass pitch because they had to get under soil heating put in?

The SPL don't allow matches to be played on artificial surfaces.

Strange form UEFA aswell in that they allow teams to play on it in the champions league but they then ask for it to be ripped up for the final.

There still seems to be a lot of injuries getting blamed in astro, until that is all cleared up the big teams are not going to accept it.

Does capitals mean you are angry John.

GB states we lost 6 k on hospitality etc so it looks even more like someone cocked up.Add that to the difference in the crowds on a tuesday then it looks like a bad decision not to switch heating on when 0c forecast.

the statement i read said £6,000 for hospitality, stewards,police ect.

The SPL don't allow matches to be played on artificial surfaces.

That's not actually true. There is no mandate from the SPL to disallow clubs to play on artificial pitches. Providing they adhere to an industry standard which is set by FIFA, clubs can play on synthetic pitches.

Hamilton had to remove theirs to install undersoil heating and were unable to relay their synthetic pitch so installed a natural pitch instead.

That's not actually true. There is no mandate from the SPL to disallow clubs to play on artificial pitches. Providing they adhere to an industry standard which is set by FIFA, clubs can play on synthetic pitches.

Hamilton had to remove theirs to install undersoil heating and were unable to relay their synthetic pitch so installed a natural pitch instead.

Strictly speaking there is a glimmer of a chance to use artificail surfaces but the SPL state:

Synthetic and Artificial Pitches

Rule B23.1 contains a prohibition on League matches being played on a synthetic or artificial playing surface unless certain conditions are met.

In order to be used in a League match a synthetic or artificial playing surface must be designed and constructed to the relevant FIFA standard and it must be demonstrated to the Board that the pitch in question meets and continues to meet the relevant FIFA quality and performance criteria. That standard and the relevant quality and performance criteria is, at present, the “FIFA two star standard”.

In addition the Board must approve the use of such a synthetic or artificial playing surface in League Matches. Any such application for approval must be submitted to me by not later than 31st March immediately preceding a Season in which a Club or Candidate Club proposes to use a synthetic or artificial playing surface in League matches. There is no procedure by which the Board can consider applications for approval received after 31st March in any year where the approval is sought for the immediately succeeding Season.

The chances of the board accepting a surface by a big enough majority is from what they say virtually nil. Also interesting why do you need undersoil heating on an astroturf park?

Strictly speaking there is a glimmer of a chance to use artificail surfaces but the SPL state:

Rule B23.1 contains a prohibition on League matches being played on a synthetic or artificial playing surface unless certain conditions are met.

In order to be used in a League match a synthetic or artificial playing surface must be designed and constructed to the relevant FIFA standard and it must be demonstrated to the Board that the pitch in question meets and continues to meet the relevant FIFA quality and performance criteria. That standard and the relevant quality and performance criteria is, at present, the “FIFA two star standard”.

In addition the Board must approve the use of such a synthetic or artificial playing surface in League Matches. Any such application for approval must be submitted to me by not later than 31st March immediately preceding a Season in which a Club or Candidate Club proposes to use a synthetic or artificial playing surface in League matches. There is no procedure by which the Board can consider applications for approval received after 31st March in any year where the approval is sought for the immediately succeeding Season.

The chances of the board accepting a surface by a big enough majority is from what they say virtually nil. Also interesting why do you need undersoil heating on an astroturf park?

That is one hell of a sexy post/ thread. I feel confident Saint's fans are knowledge-worthy to talk about artificial implants whether they be in Scandinavia, Scotland, or Andy Goram's boobs.

Like I said... as long as it meets FIFA approval..

Jeez... !!??

it is a requirement you have under soil heating for the spl regardless of the pitch type

im sure hamilton objected because they had an artificial pitch with no need for ush but the spl said they must have ush regardless which is pathetic of the spl to demand this when it isnt needed