#25 - 31/01/08 - Greenock Morton (a)

perth_saintee12

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit of a misery guts tonight after watching that. While on one hand I found the new formation quite refreshing and certain individual players had improved performances on recent weeks, our sheer inability infront of goal has become a bit depressing. The midfield was playing some nice stuff but Holmes and Samuel might as well not have been on the pitch such was their lack of impact on the game. It really concerned me that with the game at 0-0 Del didn't bother to try something a bit different and make a couple of substitutions to push for a goal. I can appreciate that we didn't want to lose when we were on the brink of matching the 16 game unbeaten run but we just looked very content to settle for a point against a team who were completely beatable. I'm disappointed with the result, personally. We are still top of the league but the gap has been reduced albeit with a few games in hand and I don't see where goals are coming from if McInnes isn't willing to change it.

The ref got it right on the freekick on the edge of the box despite the fact taht he originally gave the pen. On the Jody pen i thought it was a stone waller.

Hit the bar from a homer header which had the goalie beaten hands down. I liked the 3 at the back formation today which allowed Irvine and Craig to puch on a lot more. It will be interesting to see what 101 things about Dels tactics :-)

Savo looked like he had a hamstring injury.

Overall happy with a draw but we are just missing something up front whaich would give us that little bit extra.

Came out behind a couple of guys moaning about a draw saying that they are too scared to lose, taht we are not pushing loads up the park and all that mcInnes is bothered about is winning the league. HELLO ARE WE NOT ALL INTERESTED IN THAT!! Playing 2 attack minded wingbacks and 3 at the back disproves that theory in my mind.

Yes we are all interested in winning the league but if at all possible I'd rather we didn't bore our way to the title. Could quite easily have been me that was in front of you because I believe we are spending so much energy making sure that we don't concede that our attacking play is ****ing hopeless.Even the mearest hint of excitement and a smidgen of entertainment would be nice..Today was poor and you can dress it up anyway you bloody like but all it will be is poor in a nice dress....

Overall of course it's still a point and with certain results going for us AGAIN you may think " what's he complaining about" but if this continues and even if we do not lose games, someone WILL overhaul us before the end of the season....

I can't even be arsed to give my opinion of the match.....or individual performances.

Ho-Hum

Onwards and upwards...Dingwall he we come. I hope we can score.:wink:

I'm a bit of a misery guts tonight...

I'm sure no one would ever accuse you of that!

It wasn't a great game in terms of chances but we did play some really nice stuff at times, although I appreciate that doesn't win you prizes. Was disappointed with Morton, who didn't look nearly as capable as they did in Perth a month ago. Centre backs were rock solid unsurprisingly and Weatherson had a good battle with Gartland but as VT and Swampy have hinted, our dominance of the midfield has, in part, to be attributed to the half-hearted performances of McGuffie and Masterton.

Our actual delivery into the box wasn't too bad today but the choice of pass was often disappointing. Several times we had midfields with the opportunity to do some damage and they chose to play the wrong ball.

Not too upset at only taking a point considering we didn't create masses of chances.

I couldn't tell regards the handball claim but the linesman got about one decision right all day and it was that Irvine was fouled outside the box. Morris might have touched a Morton player but was looking for a PK. Thought Craig Thomson had a more than decent game.

Interesting that McInnes chose to change the formation, I assume to get over the lack of a left back. Back three looked really solid and Gartland slotted in well. Irvine is more suited to the wingback role but thought Craig was a bit off-colour. Morris and Sheerin moved the ball well enough but didn't play enough killer passes. Millar had his best game in weeks, which will no doubt be attributed to the fact he was played infield a bit. Milne and Holmes looked lively early doors but the big man again missed a couple of good chances whilst Samuel continues to frustrate. He's strong, fast, has a good touch but it just doesn't seem to be happening for him at the moment. His movement could be better.

Strangely underwhelmed by equalling the sixteen match unbeaten record as draws are starting to hurt us again. A win next week would be massive.

I think that's a fair point, Ghostie. For all people can point out that we didn't lose and we gained a point, if our inability to score means we keep drawing games, eventually at least one team will overtake us.

Worth noting that three of our last four games have been away from home, the last couple against sides that have only lost two or three game between them at home all season. Against Clyde, I accept we only scored one but we created a lot more chances and I still think we'll win the vast majority of our remaining home games, meaning points in the road are no necessarily a bad thing. We'll need to win some away games but points at Firhill and Cappielow are fine, although I accept Morton were there for the taking today.

3 or 4 games into the season I was seriously concerned about our basic inability to defend and if someone had suggested at that juncture that we were on the brink of a record matching 16 game undefeated run, I would have laughed myself silly.

Del is making progress and has made us difficult to beat which is a solid base to build on for a championship winning season.

Calmed down a lot after my mini-rant. Not too bothered by our result, considering Dunfermline lost, and they're our only 'real' contenders. The other sides are all to inconsistent to mount a challenge. We're not losing, and points from Firhill and Cappielow are not bad points, by any stretch of the imagination.

Calmed down a lot after my mini-rant. Not too bothered by our result, considering Dunfermline lost, and they're our only 'real' contenders. The other sides are all to inconsistent to mount a challenge. We're not losing, and points from Firhill and Cappielow are not bad points, by any stretch of the imagination.

I wouldn't say they were our only 'real' contenders. Dunfermline are very inconsistent and so are Livi, but Partick aren't they are just terrible away and very good at home.

All it takes is for any of those teams to gather some momentum.

and for the record. sammy was great when he came on, looked a threat.

I agree mate! How can we knock the guy and say he isnt producing when A)the service is not good enough and B) the guy isnt getting a chance from the start. Its so frustrating because this guy could be the answer to our problems. He has all the attributes to absolutley bang them in, in this division.

START SAMMY APPEAL! ........ SIGN HERE.... Although i dont expect much support! haha

I wouldn't say they were our only 'real' contenders. Dunfermline are very inconsistent and so are Livi, but Partick aren't they are just terrible away and very good at home.

All it takes is for any of those teams to gather some momentum.

Any team in the top 4 winning 4 or 5 games on the trot could win this league.

Morris dived and Irvine's was outside, handball would have been harsh but fair.

I was heavily criticised on here a few months back for complaining about Del's negative attitude, seems I have some support now. I thought the system was peculiar, neither fish nor foul.

Disappointed with Gartland, the timing of his jumps and some of his distribution fell well short of what I had read about him. Having said that, he's not played for months. Think Ando should have started, given that the reserves play tomorrow.

If the Savo injury is a recurrence of the thigh strain, we've gotta really question Nick Summersgill. Savo talked himself onto the pitch against Rangers when he was not fit to do so and may now be out for another lengthy spell.

Sammy's had enough chances, he's another guy who constantly flatters to deceive - send him back to United. Jackson not getting any game time is criminal. Homer had no end product all day. Del said (at MTM) there's no point hiting high balls to Homer against Morton, yet that's what we did. He also said we need tricky players turning their centre-backs, both were on the bench - and the wrong one came on.

Irvine was outstanding (again) and it seems bizarre that we have not managed to secure his signature before Mooners, especially given our left back disasters. Sheerin was excellent for the first 30 minutes then reverted to puffed oot auld duffer, Craig was fine and Morris was Morris. Millar came onto a good game as the system improved second half.

We achieved Del's target of getting one point, but we definately dropped two. The league looks very good, our play doesn't.

. Sheerin was excellent for the first 30 minutes then reverted to puffed oot auld duffer, Craig was fine and Morris was Morris. .

I'm not sure I entriely agree with this. I am actually more concerned with Craig's fitness. Only plays the first 65-70mns then tires significantly. I like both Sheerin and Craig and they would always start for me. But age may be blinding people to who is the fittest.

Yes, another team could easily leapfrog us if they win a few on the trot, but the simple fact is that they won't. The league, overall, is much weaker than it was last season, and noone is able to get any sort of form going, with the exception of us. It may seem as if we keep throwing away chances to go top, but we're getting good points from difficult teams. Drawing away to Morton and Partick, as has been said numerous times, is not a catastrophe!

That was absolutely shite. We're the most boring Saints side I've watched in a long time. Savo and Holmes as a partnership is horse shit. It's a crime that they start in front of Jacko, Sammy and Peaso. Peaso is and always has been our best striker.

We need to get some strikers in the side who can be a bit more creative.

I'm not sure I entriely agree with this. I am actually more concerned with Craig's fitness. Only plays the first 65-70mns then tires significantly. I like both Sheerin and Craig and they would always start for me. But age may be blinding people to who is the fittest.

I think you're point on Craig is valid, though I would also highlight the difference in position. I though Sheerin looked very good at Morton because he played in the centre as opposed to out on the wing. When/If Craig plays centre midfield, his lack of stamina is not an issue, if he plays wide, I agree that he tires far too easily for my liking.

Further, Jody is more positive when playing with Peanut, oh er

That was absolutely shite. We're the most boring Saints side I've watched in a long time. Savo and Holmes as a partnership is horse shit. It's a crime that they start in front of Jacko, Sammy and Peaso. Peaso is and always has been our best striker.

We need to get some strikers in the side who can be a bit more creative.

The players look apprehensive on the break. The wide men rarely hit the bye-line for fear of being out of position when the play breaks down. I'd rather explain that they will have time to get into position after the goal celebrations die down!

Sammy was signed to provide the spark, he's been a complete failure. Like Swankie, he has a great talent, disguised by lethargy. When he's growing old and dying, he will regret his apathy.