Muirton Park In All It's Glory

wee john

Lots of great memories and my favourite ground ever. You could move around anywhere, it had more space and no Rock Steady. It seemed as if the crowds were bigger and they definitely were during the Brown/Ormond era but I think it was the proximity of the away support and the ease by which supporters could have a go (whether they did or not) was what gave it a better atmosphere mostly.

If you were a kid you could climb up through the rafters of the toilets under the Main Stand and get into that stand after having initially got in free by the lift over/under at the turnstile by a generous adult.

I remember playing in the dirt at the flood lights and generally just spending a lot of the match playing about. I think by the time we were in the 1st division I can recall watching a whole match and actually enjoying it. memories of the repplay against Morton and Jim Peacock doing summersaults on the touchline as we went into a 3-1 lead.

My dad getting hit on the head by a flying battery. I also got belted by a stray ball in the stomach in the last game against Ayr Utd standing behind the goal. Happy days...

Yeah, it was easy as a parent in those days I guess... I played in the ash, chased my mates, swung on the crash barriers, threw stuff at away fans, sat on the fence, shopped at the yellow box for Tranmere programmes... so much to entertain you before the football could for 90 minutes...

My daughter has just found her feet... I'm gonna get chucked out at every home game for standing up with her :roll:

Yeah, it was easy as a parent in those days I guess... I played in the ash, chased my mates, swung on the crash barriers, threw stuff at away fans, sat on the fence, shopped at the yellow box for Tranmere programmes... so much to entertain you before the football could for 90 minutes...

My daughter has just found her feet... I'm gonna get chucked out at every home game for standing up with her :roll:

I know the feeling Kev and it hate to tell you it isnt going to improve anytime soon. I am at the stage where it costs me around £10 every game on food or downloading games to my ipod to just to keep him quiet for 90 mins. I have taken my eldest since he was about 2, our other one is a different kettle of fish its going to be a good few years before I could bring him. Maybe try him with a pre-season friendly this summer but expect him to be a nightmare

It was simply one of the best football grounds in the world.

Aye it was that. I first went at the age o'three, I'm told. Just went tae see the Pipers at hauf time after that, that was until I became interested in what was happening on the park either side o' the Pipe Band. :)