Saints and the SPL

saintee4life

A rather crude example i know but Craig Brewster is a year older than Alan and he was scoring goals in the SPL last year. If an outfield player can make it then I dont think we have to worry about Alan. He has looked after himself in a similar fashion to Brewster if not better.

Jim Leighton played in the SPL till he was 42 as did Andy Millen.

Fair comment, and keepers will always have more chance of playing til their older, in comparison to outfield players.

The question with Main, and with the rest of the players in fact, is that if we do decide to bring in new faces, where are we going to find players who are better than what we have already? If Del does decide to bring in half a dozen new players, he will have his work cut out finding good enough players who will come to Saints on the wages that the club can offer...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Del does decide to bring in half a dozen new players, he will have his work cut out finding good enough players who will come to Saints on the wages that the club can offer...

Ach but Pablo every club is in that position outside of the top 4. Even Dundee United are offering pennies compared to some clubs. Del will now have a slightly better budget and trust me Saints are an attractive proposition for a football player. Del does not require half a dozen players anyway. He needs 4 max(Left back/Proven striker/Natural Right Midfielder and a natural defensive midfielder).

He needs 4 max(Left back/Proven striker/Natural Right Midfielder and a natural defensive midfielder).

I'll go for that... Roll on the SPL! And we can't be any worse than Hamilton. Or St Mirren. Or Inverness or Falkirk or Killie come to that. Maybe we will get a top 6 finish after all!! :D

Ach but Pablo every club is in that position outside of the top 4. Even Dundee United are offering pennies compared to some clubs. Del will now have a slightly better budget and trust me Saints are an attractive proposition for a football player. Del does not require half a dozen players anyway. He needs 4 max(Left back/Proven striker/Natural Right Midfielder and a natural defensive midfielder).

i dont think we need a defensive midfielder. i think we need another strong attacking mid

if accies go down might be good chance he could come back? would love to see

If they go down, I'd take Quinn, Deuchar and Mensing back! The former pair are both out of contract, so I'd like to think we could have a chance of getting both. Rocco would a decent option for right midfield and obviously Deuchar up top.

I think the priorities for next season if we go up are a left back, right midfielder (Quinn?) and a couple of strikers.

For the left back, I really like Bob Harris at Queens, who might be tempted by SPL football if we could agree a price with Queens.

Of the out of contract Saints players, Barrett and James are the two I can definitely see leaving.

If they go down, I'd take Quinn, Deuchar and Mensing back! The former pair are both out of contract, so I'd like to think we could have a chance of getting both. Rocco would a decent option for right midfield and obviously Deuchar up top.

I think the priorities for next season if we go up are a left back, right midfielder (Quinn?) and a couple of strikers.

SPL will presumably raise our profile as a 'loan' team too - so maybe two Championship/Premiership youngsters.

I like your Deuchar and Harris shouts there, I'm sure Jacko and Dr Goals could link up well again in the SPL. Harris is the best left back in the division, he would be a good signing but I think Queens would take a lot of persuading to let him go.

I think we could also do with a good strong attacking midfielder, someone in the mould of Hardie 2 seasons ago. A central defender might be neccessary, will be interesting to see what happens with Gartland, I thought he looked good in both the Dunfy games (silly pen aside).

And get Irvine on a new contract!

SPL will presumably raise our profile as a 'loan' team too - so maybe two Championship/Premiership youngsters.

Maybe Jay Rodriguez from Burnley?

I like your Deuchar and Harris shouts there, I'm sure Jacko and Dr Goals could link up well again in the SPL. Harris is the best left back in the division, he would be a good signing but I think Queens would take a lot of persuading to let him go.

I think we could also do with a good strong attacking midfielder, someone in the mould of Hardie 2 seasons ago. A central defender might be neccessary, will be interesting to see what happens with Gartland, I thought he looked good in both the Dunfy games (silly pen aside).

And get Irvine on a new contract!

Always surprised folk still go on about Mark Twaddle as he's not a patch on Harris IMO. Queens would, quite rightly, look for a decent fee but if the player fancies the SPL then we might have a chance.

I know others who thinking we need an attacking midfielder but it's not a necessity for me. Maybe one to keep on the back burner until the season starts and try and look to do something before the deadline. I think we're ok at CB too if Gartland stays. I'd be happy with Gartland, Osama, Caff and Ando.

Maybe Jay Rodriguez from Burnley?

That's an interesting shout, I liked the look of him at Stirling, so he has been loaned out before. I think he has been getting the odd first team game at Burnley which for a youngster is good going and certainly should be one to watch for the future..................

Irvine, Rusty, Liam, Garters, Caff, Morris, Millar, Moon, Sammy, Savo and Jacko are the only players up to the challenge; the rest are not serious SPL level quality if we're being brutally honest. Which I am...

Millar hasn't been up to First Division standard for months so I don't know how he'd be up to it in the SPL.

I find him an incredibly disappointing player, he always looks like he's going to do something but delivers nothing. I wasn't at Saturday's game but he was absolutely terrible against Dunfermline on Tuesday night.

Swankie has had pelters but Millar has been worse IMO.

Radford suggested Rocco Quinn to come back again but he was pony last time and he'd be pony again.

Maybe it's just cos I'm not so optimistic as the last time we got promotion. Then again we did win that league by 20 odd points!!!

If we win two or three of the remaining games we could be in double figures over the 2nd team. We got the 20 because I think it was Airdrie gave up the ghost after we'd mathematically clinched it. Alec McDonald was spouting nonsense about the John Colquon game at Broadwood being important a few weeks before the end.

Teams at the bottom of the SPL aren't as good this time either. Even Motherwell had guys like Goram etc. Most of them are full of chancers now.

We'll do pretty well. Lets be honest you'd be dissapointed not to beat the likes of Aberdeen, Motherwell, Hamilton or ICT/Falkirk at home and get something away. Last time up barring the last season when Sandy's buys started to dominate the team we'd the best record along with Motherwell against the b(h)igots ! And they have certainly gone downhill since.

Maybe see if we can get Deuchar back.

Hmm.....I think a few people Barratt, James and possibly Peaso and Holmes should be left. I think in the step up Morris, Craig and Gartland will improve ten fold, Morris and Craig will thrive on the time and space, also Gartland (if he stays) will be even better and more solid at a higher level. Id like to see Saints get in a solid leftback, a big gun for in the middle (Mensing/Hardie style), a right sided midfielder (not a winger tho more a sheerin/craig style pleyer for that side) and obviously a new target man up front and a proven scorer. Deuchar is a good shout (although is he still as good?), like the idea of Harris for leftback but i like McInnes' ideas of a big guy there. As a few said id love to see Mensing back here as i still think we miss him Hardie esspecially but i dont see it happening. I know its a no go realy but who would like to see Dobbie back? or even Buchanan? who is actually out of contract in this division and is worth looking into?