Griffiths signs for Dundee

ancientsaint

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why sign for a small club like Saints, Dundee are the team on Tayside who have the brightest future.

How can you say that when your in division 1?

Just because you have a new money man, who has been quoted as saying he sees this as a 3-5 year plan (which i take as 3-5 years for him to turn a profit) , does not in an shape or form mean you are Taysides shining light. Reality check is needed at Dens i'm afraid. When your breaking into the top 6 then maybe you could be the starlet of the Tay, but until then you remain not only our bitches but the Arabs also.

Can't blame griffiths at all, would you join a team who have a 50% chance of being in the SPL ayear from now or a team who have 90% chance of being in the SPL a year from now, It isn't rocket science, is it.

I think Griffiths is a great player and good luck with him, but please, if you're going to post here then at least try to talk sense.

90% chance (as you said it) of playing a season of SPL for Dundee or

100 % chance of playing a season of SPL with Saints.

You can tell from your post that there are no rocket scientists from Dundee :rolleyes:

I can't believe this thread. :? Dundee get Griffiths. :shock:

I've got to hand it to Jocky Scott his signings targets have been of a high standard, a good sign for Dundee. Imagine if he'd got all of them.

Its fairly easy to sign players with little or no ambition, offer large wages and watch them flock.

United and Saints haven't got a pot to piss in, both of you will sign nobodies. Good luck next season though.

Yet Dundee are out signing world beaters?

If all these players are so good, please explain to me why they are playing in the first division?

Guest Harry Curran's Love child
Why sign for a small club like Saints, Dundee are the team on Tayside who have the brightest future.

When will teams like Dundee learn? Let's just see who has succeeded at splashing the cash in an attempt to establish themselves in the SPL:

Livi - failed, on the brink again

Motherwell - failed, went into administration

Dunfermline - failed

Gretna - failed and went bust

And lets not forget

Dundee - failed

Computer says:

Dundee will fail again. Ok I'll concede they may well get promotion this season but will the club splash out again to guarantee survival in the SPL? If they do then they could very well find themselves back where they belong, middle table obscurity in the 1st division.

As MJ liked to say:

Beat it

Guest Harry Curran's Love child
Are Saints splashing the cash in their survival bid ?

Saints ARE spending cash but only because we can afford it and are living within our means. I'd much rather we were cautious in what we spend and when rather than go all guns blazing for a shot at glory that has proven to be the downfall of every club who has attempted in in recent times. Where does the cash come from when this guys dough runs out? If he is any sort of businessman he will be looking for some kind of return and ultimately digging deeper and deeper into this own pockets to find it wont last forever.

I'm not saying he shouldnt go for it and I wish Dundee all the best (honestly) but as a fan I would be concerned about how the club can sustain it. Especially after Gretna.

Massone says in the paper today that Parma offered £1 mil for Griffiths but he didn`t want to leave Scotland & Hearts offered £300 k but he didn`t want to go because he was a Hibs fan.

You have to take what the Italian says with a pinch of salt but if it is true Griffiths show a distinct lack of ambition to stay in First Div` with Dundee.

Massone says in the paper today that Parma offered £1 mil for Griffiths but he didn`t want to leave Scotland & Hearts offered £300 k but he didn`t want to go because he was a Hibs fan.

You have to take what the Italian says with a pinch of salt but if it is true Griffiths show a distinct lack of ambition to stay in First Div` with Dundee.

How do you think a ned in italy would go down? :)

looks like harkins is on his way too - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/partick_thistle/8121643.stm

dundee are certainly trying to get a 'best of the rest' division one team on the go.

Having no debt is a great help, Melville spends his multi-millions as he likes and it is win win win for Dundee.We have only spent about £500 000 this season, it won't be much more by kick off time. A drop in the ocean to Melvilles £130 million or whatever it is. He is building a team to get out of this division just now, not to win the Champions league.

Interesting comment from Master Griffiths in todays Sunday Tabloids...." I hope the fee that the club received from Dundee will go a long way to helping Livingston to avoid administration.......Yeah right......the fact that Hearts apparently offered a better lifeline and that he apparently didnt go to Hearts cause he is a Hibs fan just shows how much he cared for livvy......will he have it written into his new contract that he wont want to be selected IF Dundee draw Hibs in a cup-tie or indeed against Livvy in league matches...NOPE he disnae care-as long as he gets his "cut".

Hibs obviously didnt rate him.

• 2 weeks later...
Lets face it Dundee are a bigger club, We are not a big club, we are a club with a good set up. It came down to cash with no tv money guarenteed at the time we would not bid over 100,000 for a striker when we are allready covered well in that area.

Are they? Some football fans seem to love debating whose club is "bigger" (you see it all the time on Pie & Bovril), but I'm yet to see anyone come up with a convincing definition of what "bigger" actually means. What makes Dundee a bigger club than Saints? I can understand someone saying that Real Madrid or Man Utd are bigger than Saints as there's an obvious "size" difference there, but Saints and Dundee are two clubs who generally play at a similar level, attract similar crowds and compete for a similar standard of player.

The obvious things Saints have got over Dundee is that we're far better run, have a far better stadium and, at the moment, have a better team - but I'm really struggling to think of many things Dundee have over Saints.