Co-op Cup - Round 2 - Arbroath vs St Johnstone

bigstu

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favourite memories as a Saints fan was when we played Arbroath away early one season. Paul Hartley scored the winner in a 1-0 win on a glorious day in the sunshine. Arbroath were in the process of rebuilding their main stand, so the entire Saints board were standing on the terraces with all the fans. Great times and something that'd never happen at a bigger club.

One of the Stenny fans on Pie & Bovril made passing comment as to what it must be like to support a big club in reference to Saints before Saturday's match. I replied by saying it must be terrible. I genuinely don't think I'd swap the memories of the semi-finals etc... for some of the midweek treks to places like Boghead. My favourite memories as a Saints fans are games like the 1-1 draw against Clydebank at Boghead on our way to the title in 1996/97, when Kieran McAnespie came off the bench to score a brilliant equaliser.

Since we're speaking about Gayfield as well, this is a photo taken as Queen's Park were on course to win promotion via the play-offs a couple of years ago. It's one of my favourite photos and sums up real football.

ArbvsQP.jpg

Exactly, Dougie.

What is the point if all you know is winning and coming 2nd is failure? What is the point in leaving your gaff at 7am to travel hundreds of miles only to win?

You need more downs than ups to really appreciate the wonders of football and being a football supporter. Football is about the trips, mates, laughs, frustrations, weather, drink etc. not about poncing about in an all seater stadium and nipping off for a cucumber salad at half time.

Long live the wee clubs, where football actually means something!

PS great photo Radders, Jody would be proud.

I'd rather the joy that those old boys are enjoying on the terraces than sitting at the top tear of Old Trafford any day. Your right Radford, real fitba there

I love Football & have to admit in the last 6 months, I've seen Ronaldo curl a direct freekick in to the top corner in front of 75 000 at Old Trafford and only last week visited Cowdenbeath with 350 to see Saints scrape a victory. I loved both! And as they say, variety is the spice of life!

Agree completely Noose. It sounds a bit cliche but thats why I support Saints. Its like all these young kids who say they support "Manchester United". Don't get me wrong, I fully endorse their style of football and acknowledge that they are a team full of some of the most gifted footballers in the world but actually "supporting" them? Get a job.

Exactly, Dougie.

What is the point if all you know is winning and coming 2nd is failure? What is the point in leaving your gaff at 7am to travel hundreds of miles only to win?

You need more downs than ups to really appreciate the wonders of football and being a football supporter. Football is about the trips, mates, laughs, frustrations, weather, drink etc. not about poncing about in an all seater stadium and nipping off for a cucumber salad at half time.

Long live the wee clubs, where football actually means something!

PS great photo Radders, Jody would be proud.

Great post, sums it up perfectly.

cant really agrue with the draw. I have set the new thread up on the prediction league for it - make sure you get your predictions in,

I suspect I may have a busy night again tallying the points - I guess there maybe quite a few attendance points again....