Old Perth - Picture Thread

25e Ainslie Place

Built as the Wallace works in by John and Alexander Shields in 1851. It had 900 looms concentrating on linen by 1900, and I think they were still operating until a refit in the 1960s

My source has Mitchell Cotts and Co of London taking it over in 1954, but continuing to trade under the Shields name.

Purchased by James Scott and Sons in 1960, which became Tay Textiles later in the decade. Production had changed to jute.

Finally shut down as Don & Low.

Would have been much better keeping the facade of that building than the eysore that is TK Maxx.

eh,. . well done, i knew they were well within your capabilities. there will be lots of people unaware of a bandstand on the inch.

[i hope they arent computer enhanced photos and are the real Mcoy] not that i am doubting you. :laugh:

does anyone know when this was knocked down as i mind playing on it but my folks say:laugh: it was gone before i was born???

I used to stay in one of the wee cottages up Buckie Braes. We left when I was about 4 years old in 1964/5.

Do you have any of the cottages or of the Buckie Braes.

Am I right that these cottages were part of the Dupplin Estate and that Lord Forteviot refused to allow them TV as the ariels would spoil the look?

Or just a rural myth.

Edited by Remberbuck

Am I right that these cottages were part of the Dupplin Estate and that Lord Forteviot refused to allow them TV as the arials would spoil the look?

Or just a rural myth.

I like what you did there - urban/rural:laugh:

They were certainly owned by Lord Forteviot at that time. Dad worked on East Lamberkin Farm and it was a tied cottage. When we left, we did not have a TV, as there was only a gas supply, and no electricity:shock:

As to whether it was because Lord Forteviot did not want to spoil the view, I don't know.

mtv31l.jpg

Right, big tease this time.

View over Low Road across the road from the cottages mentioned at 201. The road in the middle distance to the right is an old drove road that now goes up to the golf clubhouse.

The large cottage in the foreground intrigues however. I have seen a photograph of what was described as an old drove house on that road that later collapsed under a snow fall sometime in the 1930s. I always thought that was further along the route to Craigie, but I wonder if this is it.

That would put the photo back to the late 1920s or so, and I would have expected to see a bit of the new academy in the top left if it was later.

The Buckie Braes cottages were 1930s, as was the large white bungalow - Oakbank View? - which should appear to the left between Oakbank road and Glasgow Road?

Prepared to be shot down in flames by the answer.

Edited by Remberbuck

Brilliant photo of Cherrybank, from I would guess somewhere on Craigie Hill Golf Course.

Looks like Cherrybank garage is still selling petrol, and the tenements on Glasgow Road are still standing, so I'll go 1968 this time.

Oh, the Academy dinner hall is built.

Anyone going to own up to "Kerr's Cafe" and the spray painting?

Not me guv'.

Ok if you insist.

Short lived grocer - 1889-1892 - at 4 Victoria Street.

Magnus Jackson photo?

Believe Magnus Jackson was one of the great horticultural photographers of the world Buck? Any details on him? He also took some of the greatest Victorian pics of the Irish poor in Perth, around Meal Vennel and Scott Street. Welcome info.