Burley Burley GTF

25e Ainslie Place

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i heard Gary mcalister in the frame, still not forgiven after the penalty miss

I knew that would come out at some point (whether or not you are fishing, some people do think this way). I thought it was really crass at the time when he was getting pelters as a player I think it is even more ridiculous that it is still going on now.

Now if you had said don't appoint him because he's a sh*t manager with no record to speak of at club level, different story altogether :laugh:

Scotland today are a pish football nation for the reasons I've stated before (over infatuation of the OF because they are big, kids not taking up the game for the last 25 years as they did in the 60's/70's, lack of true economic circulation of finance, poor organisation, a weak generation of youngsters who run about a lot and work hard but don't express themselves, uncompetitive etc.)

No manager can make Scotland great today. The only solution is to pack our defence like Lithuania or Latvia and limit thrashings from Wales (9-0 on aggregate).

Some mug will take it on though.

Scotland today are a pish football nation for the reasons I've stated before (over infatuation of the OF because they are big, kids not taking up the game for the last 25 years as they did in the 60's/70's, lack of true economic circulation of finance, poor organisation, a weak generation of youngsters who run about a lot and work hard but don't express themselves, uncompetitive etc.)

No manager can make Scotland great today.

Amen.............you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear...(or whatever the saying is). The Scottish game looks like is going to be in this state for a long time to come. Many of us may never see a decent Scotland team again....unfortunately....

I think Stark would suffer more than Burley with commanding player respect. Levein is building a good team at tannadice, I can't see him wanting to take what is effectively a part time job at this stage of his career. I guess if he succeeded it would guarantee him the move to England that he wants.

As much as my number one choice is Roy Hodgson, my money's on Walter Smith

I don't think Levein will be offered the job, as the SFA hate him!

Why are folk so high on John Collins? He didn't exactly set the heather on fire at Hibs did he? And so what if he likes his teams to play attractive football - so does Burley and look how that turned out.

Wouldn't be surprised and wouldn't object to see Stark being offered a coaching role with the first team. Everybody used to comment on how good a coach he was, as opposed to being a manager, so that could be a good option.

I knew that would come out at some point (whether or not you are fishing, some people do think this way). I thought it was really crass at the time when he was getting pelters as a player I think it is even more ridiculous that it is still going on now.

Now if you had said don't appoint him because he's a sh*t manager with no record to speak of at club level, different story altogether :laugh:

point taken 208,if he gets the job all will be forgiven if he get us to a major tournament

Maybe Souness???

If nothing else he would command respect from the bunch of pre-madona's we have at the moment.

The Barry Ferguson incident would never have happened had Souness been in charge.

Pity the SFA are sh1t scared of him and would never appoint him in a million years.

Souness has stated that he doesn't want it under any circumstances, otherwise I imagine he'd be favourite.

I take it the people who are saying they wouldn't mind Stark have forgotten how awful it was when he was at Saints? And how on earth has Jim Jefferies managed to get his name included on there?

I don't really think any of the others being tipped are good enough either - why is Craig Levein the favourite? Is doing a decent job at Dundee Utd really considered a good enough qualification? He was pretty poor when he had a crack at things down south, he's got no international experience and very little European experience. I think he'd be massively out of his depth. Burley's got a far better record than Levein, yet people are claiming Burley shouldn't have got the job while at the same time saying Levein should.

I'd slightly prefer Walter Smith to Levein, as at least he's done international management before and has also managed a lot of games abroad with Rangers (though often poorly, it has to be said) - but, as much as he appears to be inexplicably worshipped by Scotland fans, the fact is that he wasn't good enough to qualify for any finals when he was manager either, so what makes anyone think he'd be able to do a better job with weaker players? For me, he's had his chance and Scotland need someone better.

I don't think any current SPL manager should get it, as none of them fit the bill. The SFA should stop being so inward in their thinking and take a look further afield. There are some cracking coaches out there, yet for some reason Scotland seem to be bound to restricting the search to their own doorstep.

By far the best thing about all this is that it's happened at a time when there's no chance of Gordon Strachan getting it.

pre-madonas??

is that like post-madonas, but earlier?

Souness is on record as saying he isn't interested. Which probably means he is...

Sure Souness said he didnt want it at this time........Let someone esle pick up the shit then he might do it. Interesting that he wanted it when we were 14th in the world, dont think we need someone like that anyway!

I like the sound of a Brown/McAllister Combo.