auld shops

Wish i was Joe McGurn

Remember when Bon Accord delivered lemonade? They had school age teens employed, used to see them sitting on the back of the lorry amongst the crates.

Wouldn't get away with it now owing to 'elf and safety'. Their depot was in Tulloch Road, long gone.

Okay not retail, but, staying in Tulloch, the railway yard in Tulloch is away too. Would have loved to have climbed up the lighting towers just for the view. A large chunk of the Tulloch works is now houses.
Remember Dorrans who used to make prefab hooses in the Tulloch works then shipped all over Scotland.

When I was serving my apprenticeship our brickies used to do the foundations for them and they were in some feckin oot of the way places, a wee bit of Perth everywhere

Victoria St used to be a busy place, there was the BB's picture hoose, Buchan the tattie merchants, Anderson the Jiners then there wis a slaters yard Loves Garage where they used to park their vans.

Across the street there was Bells cooperage where they fixed the Barrels we used to hear it awday when I went to the shands school. Next door to the coopers wis Bells office, Up Charles St wis Curries Whisky then Bell's bonded warehouse.

Across the street wis the steamies on the corner of Canal St and Charles St back doon Charles St on that side wis the Gas board workshops. Busy wee part of Perth in them days got tae stop wee tear comin to the eyes:laugh:

Remember Dorrans who used to make prefab hooses in the Tulloch works then shipped all over Scotland.

When I was serving my apprenticeship our brickies used to do the foundations for them and they were in some feckin oot of the way places, a wee bit of Perth everywhere

My mum was a joineress with Dorrans - I have a picture of her working on roof trusses. My dad used to build the houses in places such as Maybole and Jedburgh in the borders.

Think the washhoose was where the car park is next to Kinnoull Club.
I do not know where the Kinnoull club is but the steamies were on the corner of Canal St and Charles St used to pass them everyday goin to school.

My auld dear used to go every Thursday

Think the washhoose was where the car park is next to Kinnoull Club.

I remember the washhoose being a large building. There was a cafe in it as well.

Prior to being the Kinnoull club this was the replacement for the washhoose.

Need help for the father-in-law, he's racking his brains trying to remember the name of the joiners that was on the corner of Riggs Road and Jeanfield before Gregs Glazing was there.

Edit: he minds of it being Robbs, but the one before that. Probably looking at some of our older members here!

Edited by Over the Road

Need help for the father-in-law, he's racking his brains trying to remember the name of the joiners that was on the corner of Riggs Road and Jeanfield before Gregs Glazing was there.

Edit: he minds of it being Robbs, but the one before that. Probably looking at some of our older members here!

Normand the Joiners wis in the BB wie the laddie