FANZINE: Derek McInnes - Only a matter of time before he goes?

Jamie_Beatson

All he'll get from Saints is the sack, Just like Totten, Clark, McLelland, Stark, Connelly et.al

Just to be picky, McClelland didn't get the sack. And you're right that Sandy Clark did get the sack, but only after turning down the Hearts job to stay with Saints.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm merely pointing out that there is pressure everywhere. You can have pressure with considerably more resources and a big salary, or stay, in this case at a club where his stock can only go down. IMO this is a huge season for Del, and it could go either way. Losing the lynch-pin of his defence (team!) will make next season a real challenge for the Saints management and squad. Alternatively he could get a pay rise, a bigger transfer budget, follow a manager who had all the charisma of a wet toilet seat in the Bee Bar and hopefully get a new boss bounce to carry Hibs to a better season than last, it would be tempting.

At present the Hibs job is no improvement.5 managers in 5 years tells its own story. Our fans were disappointed with our finish so where does that leave Hibs ? Ticket sales down,morale low and their bigger budget is not really in evidence yet. I live in Leith and finding a happy Hibbie is like finding rocking horse shit. Anyway I believe M o,Neill is lined up as there is no money left in Ireland.

At present the Hibs job is no improvement.5 managers in 5 years tells its own story. Our fans were disappointed with our finish so where does that leave Hibs ? Ticket sales down,morale low and their bigger budget is not really in evidence yet. I live in Leith and finding a happy Hibbie is like finding rocking horse shit. Anyway I believe M o,Neill is lined up as there is no money left in Ireland.

I did say it is a big if! I would doubt DM is in with a chance of the Hibs job, all I was saying is that whilst it would be a challenge it would also be a step up from Saints. Smart managers tend to move around as often as possible, once you've been in a job for 4 years or more thing cans become stale very quickly.

Not many fans are happy these days, in fact some of the negativity around Tannadice, for the decade BC (Before Craig) made me feel like giving it up and watching Juniors!

MoN for the Hibs? That would be a coup!

Edited by Smarmy Arab

Yes I did and it still would NOT be a step up for Del at the moment

You really don't think so?

6 top six finishes in 7 seasons

6th in the all time spl table

Relegated twice in the last half a century

New stadium just completed (20,000 capacity)

3rd highest attendance in the SPL (2010-11)

In the recent past have a youth system that produced, Scott Brown, Steven Whittaker, Kevin Thompson, Gary O'Connor, Derek Riordan, Steven Fletcher, all of whom went to bigger clubs, and all of whom were capped.

A club whose resources are twice that of St Johnstone however you measure

But you don't think its a step up? Why not?

I think it would be a step up but a risky one at that. Hibs fans are some of the least tolerant in the country. That lack of tolerance is matched by their board. Bad start with a team that is not likely to be his own and his P45 is issued and any reputation he is building is in tatters. Don't think he is that way minded.

Edited by john1962
I Phone types gibberish

I think it would be a step up but a risky one at that. Jobs fans are sone of the least tolerant in the country. That lack of tolerance is matched by their board. Bad start with a team that is not likely to be his own and his P45 is issued and any reputation he is building is in tatters. Don't think he is that way minded.

Agreed....the level of risk for Del isn't worth the potential reward. Hibs only hope for when they replace Calderwood is to get somebody who has nothing to prove

You really don't think so?

6 top six finishes in 7 seasons

6th in the all time spl table

Relegated twice in the last half a century

New stadium just completed (20,000 capacity)

3rd highest attendance in the SPL (2010-11)

In the recent past have a youth system that produced, Scott Brown, Steven Whittaker, Kevin Thompson, Gary O'Connor, Derek Riordan, Steven Fletcher, all of whom went to bigger clubs, and all of whom were capped.

A club whose resources are twice that of St Johnstone however you measure

But you don't think its a step up? Why not?

The crucial part of my post is "at the moment" Hibs are at a crossroads at the moment.The new stand got some business but only at the expense of the stand behind the goals.In the recent past the job would have been a bit of a step up and almost certainly in the future it will be also but at the moment Hibs cant get it right.There is indiscipline in the dressing room,mutterings about Rod Petrie and believe you me there was genuine concern for a while about relegation. Hibs are potentially a much bigger club than Saints but still finished below us.

p.s. Hearts were well ahead of Hibs in attendances

Kil according to wiki it was Hibs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_Scottish_Premier_League) but then it is wiki, you may well be correct, the point being even having a poor season Hibs average attendance is the best part of 3x that of Saints.

Every close season is a 'crossroads' as you put it, most managers who have confidence in their own ability will not be troubled by how many have been sacked in the previous years. (Aberdeen and Hearts may be exceptions here due to the sheer weight of expectation and a chairman who picks the team).

Every time I look at these pages there is someone worried DM is gonna be poached, he must have a good agent, cos his record is reasonable, but no more. Saints have certainly not over-achieved under DM, and I think there will be pressure on him this season, the saving grace will be that others will have more pressure, the bottom of the spl will be quite a bun fight this season, and I'm not ruling Utd out of that fight, we will be totally dependent on our young players coming through, it could be a long season.

Del s big thing was achieving promotion which had eluded English media darling OC and then staying up.This will be a big season for him as we were extremely poor at scoring last year and he took the bull by the horns and cleared out the "strikers"

I rate him as a manager as do his peers but he was piss poor as a player by the time he washed up in Perth. Due to the lack of SPL jobs plenty will apply for the Hibs job ( when Petrie gets his compo sorted ) but that doesnt make it a good job..yet.

Del s big thing was achieving promotion which had eluded English media darling OC and then staying up.This will be a big season for him as we were extremely poor at scoring last year and he took the bull by the horns and cleared out the "strikers"

I rate him as a manager as do his peers but he was piss poor as a player by the time he washed up in Perth. Due to the lack of SPL jobs plenty will apply for the Hibs job ( when Petrie gets his compo sorted ) but that doesnt make it a good job..yet.

To be fair to OC he only had 1 full tilt at promotion, and he really could not get much closer. So far DM has matched the achievements of someone like Gus MacPherson, in producing a team that can get up and stay up, but before he gets a big move he will have to do more. He will not get a championship club off the back of staying in a poor SPL, no matter how many times he is 'linked'.

To be fair to OC he only had 1 full tilt at promotion, and he really could not get much closer. So far DM has matched the achievements of someone like Gus MacPherson, in producing a team that can get up and stay up, but before he gets a big move he will have to do more. He will not get a championship club off the back of staying in a poor SPL, no matter how many times he is 'linked'.

I do believe we are in agreement. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Don't think Calderwood will be going to Nottingham Forest if this is anything to go by. Hasselbaink signed up as 1st team coach, may still be looking for an assistant manager.

Hence Del not poached by hibs as yet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14215738.stm

There is no way that Del will go to Hibs....

Ally McCoist is going to do so bad that the gers will poach Del by December....I hate to say it but I can see it happen...

I'm merely pointing out that there is pressure everywhere. You can have pressure with considerably more resources and a big salary, or stay, in this case at a club where his stock can only go down. IMO this is a huge season for Del, and it could go either way. Losing the lynch-pin of his defence (team!) will make next season a real challenge for the Saints management and squad. Alternatively he could get a pay rise, a bigger transfer budget, follow a manager who had all the charisma of a wet toilet seat in the Bee Bar and hopefully get a new boss bounce to carry Hibs to a better season than last, it would be tempting.

Two words Cillian Sheridan :laugh:

• 1 month later...

Brentford had money to spend are are probably better off financially than forest. Although forest are probably a bigger club.

Not having any money to bring in players and not having any time to bring in any due to the window being now closed would put a lot of managers off.

Calderwood was there before.

• 4 weeks later...