UCD v Saints 10/7/2011

john1962

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anybody else worried about our pre-season? , we aint playing anyone better than us!

Aberdeen are playing Bundesliga and Primera liga teams, we're playing Ayr Utd and UCD....

No. They're training games to get fit and have the players bond. Playing lower teams like Spartans, Dundee, Ayr, UCD and Drogheda are perfectly fine for the purpose.

Bundesliga and Primera liga teams will treat games against the likes of Aberdeen the way we do ours in Ireland. Can't see many in Mönchengladbach counting sleeps for the Aberdeen game.

Fair enough, but is it getting the new players to gel, if they're not really being tested, specifically defensively?

Judging by whats just happened in Dublin, then perhaps not! :) *

I know where you're coming from though. Build, raise the standard of the opposition as we get fitter and end the pre-season with at least one match against a similar quality side to the SPL. The principles good.

* UCD had just scored as I was writing!

Fair enough, but is it getting the new players to gel, if they're not really being tested, specifically defensively?

What do you want them to go and play these top teams get hammered and totally destroy their confidence.

friendlies are simply to increase their fitness and get them used to playing with each other. Look at rangers gone out and players 2 lower league German sides and been beaten, Celtic lost the first match in Australia. They are simply using the games as a means to improve fitness.

I have no doubts that saints will be playing a couple of closed doors games at some point aswell which will help.