#02 - 30/07/11 - Saints 0-2 Rangers - SPL

If we're still struggling for goals by mid-September then I'd panic. Drawing a blank in a tough away match with so many changes in the squad, then against the reigning champions is not cause for panic.

Our midfield has produced plenty of goals in the past. A decent winger might well help in the creativity front, but I don't think we should be pishing ourselves because we didn't score away to Aberdeen or against Rangers.

The thing is,as Aberdeen showed on Saturday they are a really poor team & we couldn`t even trouble their keeper even against 10 men.

Rangers had a poor start to the season & they were nervous & we should have gone for it to score the first goal & get the fans on their back.

These are 2 reasons I am worried about the season ahead. If we continue in this negative mode then I fear we will not pick up many points.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goals mate just some fecking goals...

We've only played two games though. The game up in Aberdeen was turned into a lottery by the conditions (and Del was stupid to play only 1 striker) and the home game was against Rangers, where we played the play about the pitch well, especially in the first half an hour.

The team needs time, nothing which our fans just don't seem willing to give them. Haber and Sheridan have played a total of about 120 minutes together up top so far, Robertson is just getting to know the team, as is Davidson and Wright. There's loads more new players who weren't even in the side on Saturday who need time to establish themselves too.

I know this is a bit of a mute point, but after the Stark/Connolly era, we should really appreciate the squad we have at the moment, because it'll be gone in a flash at some point down the line. We've got several interationalists (and a few ex Internationalists) who just need a bit of time to gel. I think the team at deserve a chance to get things right.

I know this is a bit of a mute point, but after the Stark/Connolly era, we should really appreciate the squad we have at the moment, because it'll be gone in a flash at some point down the line. We've got several interationalists (and a few ex Internationalists) who just need a bit of time to gel. I think the team at deserve a chance to get things right.

That 'know your place' type of argument is pretty worn out, it's exactly because we have a very good squad that there are high expectations.

I've got sympathy for those who're saying we shouldn't panic after two games, but there are worrying signs of more of the same, plus an even more worrying lack of fight against Rangers.

No goals is also not awful in itself, but we haven't really even created any chances.

Personally I think that the discontent is because people will only put up with crap football if it gets results. There's little appetite for poor quality football and mediocre results. You can make historic arguments all you like, but our squad at the moment should be nowhere near a relegation battle, so if McInnes sticks to the same tactics he needs to either provide a finish above expectations (i.e. top six) or a season roughly within expectations but with good quality football (7-10th). An 8-10th place finish with the same football as last season will bore everyone but the diehards.

That 'know your place' type of argument is pretty worn out, it's exactly because we have a very good squad that there are high expectations.

I've got sympathy for those who're saying we shouldn't panic after two games, but there are worrying signs of more of the same, plus an even more worrying lack of fight against Rangers.

No goals is also not awful in itself, but we haven't really even created any chances.

Personally I think that the discontent is because people will only put up with crap football if it gets results. There's little appetite for poor quality football and mediocre results. You can make historic arguments all you like, but our squad at the moment should be nowhere near a relegation battle, so if McInnes sticks to the same tactics he needs to either provide a finish above expectations (i.e. top six) or a season roughly within expectations but with good quality football (7-10th). An 8-10th place finish with the same football as last season will bore everyone but the diehards.

What he said is true.

Totally agreed, I found watching us such a struggle at times last season and when I missed a game it didn't really bother me because I knew the chances are I wouldn't miss much.

The lack of goals doesn't bother me, its the performance and style we play that I find hard to bare at times.

If we went all out attack and created chance after chance and missed them I wouldn't be so bothered because you know the goals would come at some point.

However playing the style we are now we simply must score or it is just tedious, boring crap.

I'd be happier finishing lower playing like we did in our 1st season than finishing notably higher playing with the current style, as it happens we were better with the attacking set up anyway.

There is no passion, excitement or fun about the place anymore. McInnes is just doing barely enough to keep his job and keep us afloat. Gus McPherson mk 2.

Except Gus sometimes beat Celtic...

Bloody hell - no wonder there is no passion/excitement/fun with laugh a minute characters like you running round cheering us all up :laugh:

Everything is fine, we'll win by a comfortable 2 or 3 goals on Saturday and all of a sudden everyone thinks we're great again!