Public sector strike

i'm old greg

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry - not a lot of sympathy. The country is f***ed. I have a pretty good job - pay a fortune into my pension and when I look at it it is STILL 5h1t. I look at the pension my Mrs (a nurse) will get as a pension - I'm jealous. But she isn't going to strike as she has a REAL sense of public duty. So the likes of London Underground train drivers wanting double time and time of in lieu for working Boxing day - when they earn £55k off the back of 12 wks training - get real. And f**king Mark Sowotka on the radio at the moment - jeezs - wake up and smell the coffee.

Well all of us in the private sector are getting shafted and it wasn't our fault either (or indeed it was as much our fault as those in the public sector). My nurse Mrs recently got a statement of her pension rights at 60 - she's worked in the NHS since she was 16. The annual pension and lump sum payment on her retiring I found astonishing. I'll be a kept OAP. I earn maybe twice what she earns. I get no lump sum on retiring and current estimate about half her annual pension. eh?

Well all of us in the private sector are getting shafted and it wasn't our fault either (or indeed it was as much our fault as those in the public sector). My nurse Mrs recently got a statement of her pension rights at 60 - she's worked in the NHS since she was 16. The annual pension and lump sum payment on her retiring I found astonishing. I'll be a kept OAP. I earn maybe twice what she earns. I get no lump sum on retiring and current estimate about half her annual pension. eh?

But your wife has dedicated her career to assisting the general public in the place where she lives, not towards lining the pockets of executives or fat cat shareholders. She will have had no bonuses, few if any 'jollies', no 'business' lunches and had to work in conditions where the standard of equipment, ICT etc are of the lowest standard. She will rarely have been praised or awarded for her efforts, yet held accountable for her mistakes

Join a union and pay yer dues every month, act in solidarity, to protect pay, conditions and pensions. If you earn double what yer wife earns....don't you see why she gets a better pension, a lifetime of restricted salary, no bonus, but real commitment to the NHS, and you grudge her a pension that was agreed as part of the renumeration package for 40 years?

100% behind the strike, to raid pension pots of public sector workers is theft, plain and simple.

Unless you get caught knocking off that dame from your golf club :wink:

You earn twice what a nurse earns (or thereabouts), what is it exactly that you do that makes you worth twice the wage of a nurse? So is that the balance, private sector workers get paid a shit load more than public sector, but as compensation public sector workers get a so called "gilt edged pension".

I also noted someone suggesting public sector workers have taken a quiet safe road in life or something to that effect. Really? Compare a suit laiden desk jockey whose big decisions of the day only effect him and his own employer, to a nurse, fireman, policeman who don't have a clue what the day will bring, who face the wrath of the public and the media at every mistake and make decisions on a dailly basis that effect the lives of others, occasionally in a life and death situation.

Think the last two posts sum up my feelings. Public sector workers accept lower wages than they could earn in the private sector-or doing jobs where their work is undervalued drastically (nursing, teaching) on the understanding that pensions etc are likely to be more generous. That's only fair. They do make healthy contibutions to their pensions like anyone else of course. Taking that away will stop anyone with any sense of worth in themselves going near a public sector post.

Just had a thought. Tongue in cheek of course.

Maybe we should privatise many public sector areas in order that like in the private sector workers can be paid according to number 'someone' thinks your worth. That way when you go into the hospital you can be given a price list, so if you really want those stiches to stop you bleeding to death your going to have to pay the nurse say £100 just for speaking with her/him, then £50 per hour and the cost of any materials used.

Oh dear, you're on your way home from the hospital having spent £500 (becuse the when the nurse looked at your hand she drew air through her teeth and said told you it was a long job.)and low and behold your car breaks down, and goes on fire. So you call the fire brigade and you get the option of 1 tender or 2, the first tender will cost £500 plus £100 for every man on board, plus their wages of £50 per hour. You get a special on the second tender, a snip at £250, but again you must pay the wage of each man on board.

You then walk home but on the way you get jumped by 5 guys, you get an absolute pasting and they take your wallet and clothes. You call the police and 2 rozzers arive after taking a non refundable deposit of £250. They say you can make a formal complaint but it's going to cost the deposit to note a statement and thereafter £50 for every hour of enquiry it takes to solve or not the crime. You are also told that even if they catch who it is, a court appearance will cost £1500. You will incur the cost of the sheriff at £200 per hour and the cost of the jury at a days work for them and any expenses. You will also pay expenses for any witnesses who attned in court whether or not they give evidence. Because you have had your clothes stolen you are naked so you are arrested and kept overnight in the cells, obviously at your own expense and you are given a fine of £500 when you leave to cover the cost of someone looking after you when you were in the cell.

I don't know what my point is or even if there is one. The above is rediculous.

Public sector final salary pensions are costing us (taxpayers) more and more because people are living longer. Perm that with the public purse being skint, and the fact that we (taxpayers) are on shite defined contribution schemes, and I'm afraid I've no sympathy.

oh bollocks.shouldnt we all be striving for better pensions.

Imagine if you will going into Domino's and aking for a 12 inch pepperoni pizza at a cost of £13 as is on the menu that Domino's gave you.

The 'chef' goes away to start cooking your pizza and you hand over your £13.

A couple of minutes later the 'chef' comes backand says, "look mate, we've ****ed up a bit here, whats going to happen is your pizza is going to be fine, it's just going to be 10 inches instead of 14 and there's still going to be pepperoni on it but less than you thought you were getting, oh yeah, and if you want the pizza you're also going to have to give us another £3, but I'm sure you'll be fine with all that".

Benefit reform, bailing out other countries, where the money comes from is for the government to sort out, the thing is the public sector is essentailly the infrastructure of the country, thats why people kick up stink when they strike. The last place cuts of any kind should be made is with frontline public sector workers, imo.

Benefit reform, bailing out other countries, where the money comes from is for the government to sort out, the thing is the public sector is essentailly the infrastructure of the country, thats why people kick up stink when they strike. The last place cuts of any kind should be made is with frontline public sector workers, imo.

wrong imo. bad management,corruption,lobbyists,excessive state spending on trivial out of date traditions,mass immigruntion,multi nationals, unwise city boys gambling on the stock exchange, excessive taxation on the common working man;insuffient taxation on stock market transaction,bad coordenation and unjustified war spending...sure theres more.

wrong imo. bad management,corruption,lobbyists,excessive state spending on trivial out of date traditions,mass immigruntion,multi nationals, unwise city boys gambling on the stock exchange, excessive taxation on the common working man;insuffient taxation on stock market transaction,bad coordenation and unjustified war spending...sure theres more.

Don`t think you missed out much there Andy.