Will Gibson be Staying.

Topfitter

I think 'a load of crap' is a trifle harsh. It is my opinion, if I'm wrong I'll be delighted to hold my hands up and say I was wrong.

Del will have agreed a team budget with the board at the start of the season (more likely the end of last season actually). I would be amazed if part of the interview process for a new boss wasn't 'this is our budget, do you think you can bring success for less?' It is my opinion that Lomas sees the budget far better aimed at securing Moon, keeping Muzz and the rest of the team, and I have a hunch he will try to keep Sandaza too (be amazed if he does mind you). I also suspect that Del signing Haber, Sandaza and Cillian and Gibson on loan was caveated with assuming the loss of Muzz and a cash boost from the sale.

Just my opinion, but i believe logical, and not a 'load of crap'. I also suspect that Cillian will go in January for the same reason.

Nope, if the budget wasn't there Del wouldn't have signed Sandaza up right at the death. The budget wont change just because its a new manager, it will remain the same, albeit I think that it is being used to its full extent. There is no need to trim it, unless Lomas wants innew players. If Sheridan and Gobson both go, he will be allowed another 2 players on same wages or whatever. If they stay and nobody else goes then we wont get anyone else it. Its rather simple actually. We are working on a one in one out policy atm.

I would still suggest that not selling murray, which Lomas has aluded to by saying he is worth a million or get stuffed, would equate to the money that losing Sheridan and Gibson will free up. That is effectively what I am saying. I kind of accept that reducing the budget may not be on the right track, but I do suspect that the budget included the sale of Muzz - so reducing the wage bill to compensate for not getting a transfer fee is my point rather than reducing the overall budget (and pretty much exactly what I said in all my previous posts).

Edited by montrosesaintee

You're wrong widge, I can't be bothered looking it up but it was definitely quoted somewhere that at least Gibson was a signing over the budget and I'm pretty sure that Muzz moving on was widely expected. We made a pretty large loss last year and will have higher expenses this year.

Unless we qualify for Europe we will have to cut the wage bill.

You're not going to start using your horrible p&b posting style on WAP now are you? It's pretty cringeworthy seeing the way you speak to fans of other teams, never mind fans of your own.

Our previous Gaffer admitted he'd brought in too many players, he tried to get Sandaza last year but it didn't happen. He thought he had no chance this year but was surprised when fran became available...he'd already 'done' all his shopping but the Chairman gave him the ok to sign Fran. When Slomas came on board he was quoted saying he knew he probably needed to trim the squad.

No denying that cutting the wage bill is a priority. Having ditched almost all the strikers at the end of last season, Del was in the position that as close season progressed he might end up with no fit strikers at all. So he brought in a few early doors while negotiating with Haber. Suddenly - just as it seemed all was done SoS both became available. My feeling is that having hedged his bets early doors he was suddenly left with one or two strikers more than he had intended. Suspect some will move on - but obviously that might be dependent on what happens in January - it might not be those that the manager wants to move on!

Think Sheridan will away in Jan, he did say that was his aim. Also think Fran will be away in Jan...perhaps Del would want to try to take him to Bristol but then again he does seem to already have good strikers there.

If Muzz does go then lets hope that we do get the big bucks for him & I like Lomas basically telling everyone that he is not gong to be let go cheaply. At last the Bigot Bros are waking up & smelling the coffee & realising that they can't just expect us to roll over & die & let them take our best boys on the cheap.

Would be interested to know how much we are paying Sheridan. Presume it isn't his Sofia full contract amount ?

It's a pretty insignificant fraction of his overall salary. Sheridan has taken a considerable pay cut to be here.

1884 has it about correct - we didn't expect to get all three of Haber, Sandaza and Sheridan. Once we had all free, I believe the budget was more or less done, and we got Gibson after this. I think we'll see the loan players going back (although I'd imagine we'll try and retain Sheridan) and a couple of the fringe players will leave (Gartland, possibly Adams and Finnigan/Parkin/Higgins/Haber would by my bets).

It's a pretty insignificant fraction of his overall salary. Sheridan has taken a considerable pay cut to be here.

1884 has it about correct - we didn't expect to get all three of Haber, Sandaza and Sheridan. Once we had all free, I believe the budget was more or less done, and we got Gibson after this. I think we'll see the loan players going back (although I'd imagine we'll try and retain Sheridan) and a couple of the fringe players will leave (Gartland, possibly Adams and Finnigan/Parkin/Higgins/Haber would by my bets).[/QUOTE]

I'd bet money on at least Finnigan staying. He's looked the part every time he's had an opportunity.

Sorry, I meant one of those 4 rather than all 4. Finnigan's a dab hand at getting booked, but he's looked ok to me too. Not sure he'll ever be a 15 or even a 10 goal a season man, but he's good at unsettling the opposition defence and decent enough in the air too.

I agree about the booking thing, but you so often find that substitutes take 10-15 minutes to get into the game. I feel that all his bookings have been as a result of trying too hard to get 'up to speed' when he comes on, and this is actually a positive attribute. I reckon if he was on the park from the start you wouldn't see that element of his game.

I agree, some of them have been down to over exhuberance, but he also comes across as being quite a petulant player. I'd wager that he'll pick up as many bookings for dissent and kicking the ball away as he does for fouls. I quite like him as a player though, and I'm fairly sure that cutting that out of him would be the detriment of his overall game.

Nope, if the budget wasn't there Del wouldn't have signed Sandaza up right at the death. The budget wont change just because its a new manager, it will remain the same, albeit I think that it is being used to its full extent. There is no need to trim it, unless Lomas wants innew players. If Sheridan and Gobson both go, he will be allowed another 2 players on same wages or whatever. If they stay and nobody else goes then we wont get anyone else it. Its rather simple actually. We are working on a one in one out policy atm.

Good insider knowledge widge, thanks for the heads up.