A Referendum on Independence

henryhallsdanceband

Me 'naw - how many can she put up?

No seriously my sister's next door neighbour is Polish, he'll be entitled to a vote. When I was serving overseas in the forces I could excercise a proxy vote through a nominated person (Father - Perth) in the UK. My passport states that I'm 'Scottish' why shouldn't I expect to be able to vote in this referendum just because I now live south of the border. After all, for the time being, Scotland is still part of the UK.

Yey, let all the Poles, Albanians and Romanians vote on our future, whilst us overseas missionarys who are 100 % aberdeen angus get told we cannot vote. Edited by SingaporeSaint

Couple of things....

1. Bad idea and i think that Salmond is as bad as Nick Griffin

2. Would a Yes vote leave the OF less likely of playing in England? :) :)

In fact, can they have an extra question on the ballot paper "Would you like the OF to gtf off to England along with Camaface?"

Edited by MySpazz

the French when they had their general election,made it possible for french living over seas to vote at the consulate of the country they are living...The French in Scotland will be able to particapate in our referendum

i can not vote here and i will not be allowed to vote in YOUR referendum

my mind is empty (keep it that way

Only 28% are for independence, the SNP will need a miracle to turn it around. Sadly the only way to have TRUE independence is to leave the EU, otherwise Brussels will make all the important decisions, not Edinburgh. Look at minimum pricing for alcohol, the SNP want it but the final decision will be made in Brussels, what's independent about that ?

In the opinion polls, looks like it is more likely that England would vote Yes for Scotland to have Independance before the scots would. That is an interesting dynamic.

Having lived out of Scotland for more years than I actually lived there I am still proud of the country that I was born and brought up in the first 18 years of my life. I left (at the start of the 'rise' of the SNP) to seek pastures new and see some of the world and have settled in England. My English friends (yes I do have some!) are mostly mystified when they listen to Salmond as I am.

I only ask one question of the SNP about their desire to have total independence from the rest of the country and that is, why?

Here is another poser!

A number of exiled Scots would perhaps return to their homeland if it was not for this threat. It always surprises me is the amount of 'English' accents I hear when home. Salmond underestimates this but will they be entitled to vote and if they are entitled to then why am I not?

Having lived out of Scotland for more years than I actually lived there I am still proud of the country that I was born and brought up in the first 18 years of my life. I left (at the start of the 'rise' of the SNP) to seek pastures new and see some of the world and have settled in England. My English friends (yes I do have some!) are mostly mystified when they listen to Salmond as I am.

I only ask one question of the SNP about their desire to have total independence from the rest of the country and that is, why?

Here is another poser!

A number of exiled Scots would perhaps return to their homeland if it was not for this threat. It always surprises me is the amount of 'English' accents I hear when home. Salmond underestimates this but will they be entitled to vote and if they are entitled to then why am I not?

I understand your points Dunc..

But i do get a hunch that there may well be a lot more Ex-pat scots heading back to Scotland after Independance than if things stayed as they are ??

Answer this..Why do most right of centre views in the current UK goverment and the likes of UKIP call for a Referendum on withdrawing from the EU ?

This view is very very strong in the south,

I fail to see the diffrence in the UK wanting out of the EU or Scotland wanting out of the UK (and EU if voted on ).

Moving abroad shows how much the world thinks Scotland is a small region of England...Belgium or Norway are not..!

Cheers..

PS ...If you were born or live now in Scotland you should have a vote.

Edited by Hubands House

The problem with people "living" overseas/England is I suppose that most of us are no longer on the scottish electoral role. Would be a nightmare to organise.

Why would it be a nightmare? - just let me apply for a vote and check my birthplace against register of births and deaths. Two years or so to organise this shouldn't be difficult.

Born in Lennoxtown, lived in Glasgow until I qualified from Paisley Tech in early 1980s, hunted for a job in Scotland but couldn't find one (even applied for a job in Lochgelly!) - so reluctantly dragged myself down to England for work. And I've just stayed here. But that doesn't mean to say that I don't yearn to return to Scotland if the opportunity arose. So should I not get a vote about the Scotland I want to return to and that I love. I struggle with the thought that so many not born in Scotland, and who may well disappear back off to their home at any point in time, have a vote on Scotland's destiny and I don't. In fact it's not right IMO.

So you reckon some Albanian is more entitled to vote than Born in PRI...moi, just because Ive decided to work abroad for a few years ???

Indeed...and living away from Scotland but always being interested in what is going on I have a particular perspective. That good be 'you Scots don't know you are born so you'd be daft to vote YES' but it could be 'VOTE yes through tartan eyes', I think ex-pats see both sides quite clearly when standing to the side. Besides - I for one would want what is best for all my immediate family and many, many relatives living in Scotland. And I would seek their view. If most said they wanted the status quo then I'd be inclined to vote NO in support of that view - if not then I may vote YES.

I would take a long term view on what would be best for Scotland; those new or temporary to Scotland are surely more likely take a much shorter term, very self-interested view. Do they REALLY care more about Scotland and it's future than I - I honestly don't think so.

So you reckon some Albanian is more entitled to vote than Born in PRI...moi, just because Ive decided to work abroad for a few years ???

Yip , sadly . Dont particularly agree its fair but YOU chose to leave , thus giving up your right to vote . Have you complained about not being able to vote in general and local elections ?

Yip , sadly . Dont particularly agree its fair but YOU chose to leave , thus giving up your right to vote . Have you complained about not being able to vote in general and local elections ?

No clearly I haven't complained about not being able to vote in general and local elections - I have the right to do that where I live.

But you will agree that these elections have by their very nature a relatively short term effect that can be changed every 4 or 5 years if we don;t like what has gone on, and that this referendum vote is very different - the outcome will most probably be permanent - that means for ever. I don't think that a comparison between local and general election and this referendum is valid.

In any case - what are you concerned about? You don't know which side of the argument I sit - indeed at the moment neither do I for reasons I've already mentioned. Do you not believe that I really care about Scotland and all who live in Scotland. Just because I live in Surrey that does not mean I am some rich banker or stockbroker whose only concern is myself and the amount of money I can make, and that I somehow lose my sense of social responsibility and concern for others.

Genereal Elections - Still on the electoral role in Surrey so fine there. Local Elections - No havnt complained about that but do many people vote anyway. Wonder which way all the Albanians, Poles, English etc will vote.

In my opinion, it should only be Scots who vote for the right to Independence.

P.s, Andy, hope you get pickpotted before now and the referendum :wink: Might give you second thoughts

If you feel that strongly , come back . Scotland may need you . Remember though you chose to leave .

I may choose to come back one day. That doesnt change the fact that I feel that only Scots should be allowed to vote for the right to Independence. And certainley not all the Slavaks, English and other nationalities who don't give a hoot about our Country.

I guess Sean Connery will get a vote somehow though !

and quite right too...why not? considering he is a claim to fame that helped put Scotland on a map and has always revindiquated freedom

finally, i am against a referendum,btw

you do not ask...you declare

simple as ****ing that

i need no english

i need no monarch arse kissing scum bags

i need a shit shower and spliff

Edited by ANDY5565

I no longer live in Scotland and don't expect or want any right to vote on Scottish issues. I vote in elections in the local constituency where I live, in England - I can't see any reason why I should also get a say on what goes on in Scotland. It's those who live there that this effects (regardless of nationality).

I no longer live in Scotland and don't expect or want any right to vote on Scottish issues. I vote in elections in the local constituency where I live, in England - I can't see any reason why I should also get a say on what goes on in Scotland. It's those who live there that this effects (regardless of nationality).

Sounds like you are not really Scottish. Nae passion man. Ach lets just leave it to the Albanians to vote for us :sad: