A Referendum on Independence

henryhallsdanceband

I think that there should be a minimum IQ standard for people allowed to vote in the referendum for or against Independence. That would stop a lot of the neds, fanny bawz and numpties for being unable to make a decision on something as important as this that affects MY country. Might even exclude a few heedthebaws on here :wink:

wee Eck can go chew the pea nuts in ma shoite

other thing

the day her majestys gouverment wants you (wether you are a land owner or not you) they will use you (wether you like it or not)

many countries allow their nationals to vote from over seas (many who do not own property) Algeria does (a country that fought imperialism and gained their independance (many were living in France at the time and fought the struggle in France

many Algerians pro French fought their own (they are called " harkis ", wich in arab means "traitor", wich they were/are

most were tortured and executed for their treason

harkis and ****

only difference is the accent

I think that there should be a minimum IQ standard for people allowed to vote in the referendum for or against Independence. That would stop a lot of the neds, fanny bawz and numpties for being unable to make a decision on something as important as this that affects MY country. Might even exclude a few heedthebaws on here :wink:

to tick a box with. (one out of two.aye or non) an X is not too hard

unless your intention is of making an elitist state

if that is the case

i am your enemmy and i take no prisoners

129 is mine,yours?

MMMMMM Wonder which way you would vote if you could SS

Ah SS - you live abroad - you've abandoned the homeland - you are not deserving or worthy of a vote - Scotland is no longer your country - some might say - I beg to differ with that point of view. Wait until Wee Eck discovers with 6 months to go that a NO vote is heading his way - then see him open up the vote to the Scots Diaspora.

I agree with HHDb that morally there should be an opportunity for expatriate Scots to vote in the referendum; whichever way they choose to exercise that vote is up to them.I hope you do get the opportunity to vote as you've clearly given it some thought..................unlike the aptly named SS who is unable to resist xenophobic racism with each post. Interestingly Hitler had the same views about IQ ..........

I am proud as hell off my Scottish Heritage the fact I left to pursue my life in another country 46 yeays ago I think disqualifies me

from having a vote. What right do I have to take part in a process that affects peoples lives that live in Scotland permanantly

while I visit for 2 or 3 weeks every few years.

As for the nationalities previously mentioned in the forum that have made Scotland their home well a decision would have to be made to have them apply for

citizenship before they can vote.

I am a Canadian citizen which allows me the priviliges afforded to all Canadians i:e the right to vote etc so I think that is a decision that these nationalities

have to make if they want to take part in the vote.

By the way my avatar is a picture off my son and I at the Governor General's residence in Ottawa where he received a community caring award one off the proudest days off my life and proud to be a citizen of my adopted country.

So I hope that individuals who chose Scotland as their home would feel the same.

Edited by john.w

Not all 'ex-pat' Scots will want to vote; some probably couldn't really care; some might think it wrong for them to vote. So they don't vote - that is their prerogative. I care and I want to vote. It is not difficult. I apply for a vote and my birthplace is confirmed against the Registry of Births and Deaths. I get a postal or on-line vote. Scots who have moved from Scotland quite obviously will see Scotland from a different perspective to those who live in Scotland. But that is just a different perspective on the same issues, wishes, concerns and aspirations.

I am proud as hell off my Scottish Heritage the fact I left to pursue my life in another country 46 yeays ago I think disqualifies me

from having a vote. What right do I have to take part in a process that affects peoples lives that live in Scotland permanantly

while I visit for 2 or 3 weeks every few years.

And indeed that is your decision. Maybe your existing/remaining links with Scotland are more tenuous than mine; and as you say you have taken Canadian citizenship - and part of that will have had you pledging allegiance in some way to Canada as your new home. I can see how you might feel a bit of a 'fraud' having done so - to then expect to have a vote in the future of Scotland. But we are not all in the same position. My links with Scotland remain stronger than any link I have with England (other than my wife being English and my kids being Scots/English).

I think that those of us away from Scotland - perhaps temporarily - perhaps permanently - should not be denied the right to have a say in the future of our country.

And indeed that is your decision. Maybe your existing/remaining links with Scotland are more tenuous than mine; and as you say you have taken Canadian citizenship - and part of that will have had you pledging allegiance in some way to Canada as your new home. I can see how you might feel a bit of a 'fraud' having done so - to then expect to have a vote in the future of Scotland. But we are not all in the same position. My links with Scotland remain stronger than any link I have with England (other than my wife being English and my kids being Scots/English).

I think that those of us away from Scotland - perhaps temporarily - perhaps permanently - should not be denied the right to have a say in the future of our country.

The pledging allegiance thing is an American requirement, if I wanted I could still retain my British passport and my kids could actually apply for a British passport but the USA require you only have one passport.

It is not a case off feeling fraudulant as you put it but a case off how I personally think

Edited by john.w

The pledging allegiance thing is an American requirement, if I wanted I could still retain my British passport and my kids could actually apply for a British passport but the USA require you only have one passport.

It is not a case off feeling fraudulant as you put it but a case off how I personally think

Quite - I agree. And I think I should have the right to vote.

Quite - I agree. And I think I should have the right to vote.

So what would you say is a fair criteria for who gets to vote? Just people born in Scotland? Or everyone resident in Scotland or born in Scotland? What about people who were born in Scotland but moved away when they were very young and have never been back since - is it really appropriate that they get a say in the decision? And many people would argue that you're Scottish if your parents are from Scotland - so should those people get to vote too?

I suppose what I'm saying is... can Rod Stewart vote or not? :)

I will be raging if someone living in middle England by choice gets the vote to keep us under a Condemnation government. I reallly dont see why someone who is contributing very little to Scotland should get to decide our government then be able to escape the consequences of their vote. If Scotland decides to stay part of the Union then I will have no problem accepting it but I wouldnt expect to get a vote on any English issues because my mother was born there and I take long weekends south of the border.

I will be raging if someone living in middle England by choice gets the vote to keep us under a Condemnation government. I reallly dont see why someone who is contributing very little to Scotland should get to decide our government then be able to escape the consequences of their vote. If Scotland decides to stay part of the Union then I will have no problem accepting it but I wouldnt expect to get a vote on any English issues because my mother was born there and I take long weekends south of the border.

Agree and I would hope the SNP does not use any high profile Scottish former residents to promote their arguement for seperation. Stay in Bermuda Mr Connery!!!

who will no vote or should not be allowed to vote: Jehovah witnesses and other objecteurs, prisoners of certain catergories,european citizens and non europeans (its allowed by the treaty of Copenague...where a country can exclued other europeans in participating in internal matters that leads to a change of constitution (a referendums purpose

who can or should vote,any one born in Scotland or any one with a Scottish parent

you let all sorts all ready play in your national teams

any one more or less can vote in the U.K.

why are you trying to ecluded peoples heritage?

a reply whould be appreciated

Sean Connery, Andy me Singapoor or Craig Whyte shoulnd be able to vote...are all tax dodging to bring down your imperial plastic cozy wee union

who will no vote or should not be allowed to vote: Jehovah witnesses and other objecteurs, prisoners of certain catergories,european citizens and non europeans (its allowed by the treaty of Copenague...where a country can exclued other europeans in participating in internal matters that leads to a change of constitution (a referendums purpose

who can or should vote,any one born in Scotland or any one with a Scottish parent

you let all sorts all ready play in your national teams

any one more or less can vote in the U.K.

why are you trying to ecluded peoples heritage?

a reply whould be appreciated

Sean Connery, Andy me Singapoor or Craig Whyte shoulnd be able to vote...are all tax dodging to bring down your imperial plastic cozy wee union

my own opinion is that anyone who is able to vote in the Scottish Parliament elections should be in a position to vote in the referendum. And the 16 and 17 year olds should not be allowed to vote in this unless there is to be a law change allowing all to vote for future Scottish Parliaments.

Hopefully that answers your question.

a bit

if the age of majaration is 16 in Scotland then 16 years should have the right to vote,my son too,its their future and that is my opinion

wealth should not be an obstacle, wether poor or rich

why cant Scotland extend the vote to Scots living over seas as many other countries do?

a bit

if the age of majaration is 16 in Scotland then 16 years should have the right to vote,my son too,its their future and that is my opinion

wealth should not be an obstacle, wether poor or rich

why cant Scotland extend the vote to Scots living over seas as many other countries do?

Why should they get a vote? They don't get a vote in the Scottish parliamentary elections so why should they vote here. If you are changing the rules then it must be for every election not just one.