David Robertson

Edstar101

I feel a degree of sympathy for this guy. When he plays, it is often when we have adopted a formation that we, the fans, are not happy with, and the team don't perform well when playing.

I watched the highlights of Sunday's game again last night. If you look at Robertson, he does a power of work. He made a great run into the box where Fran just failed to find him...it took a great tackle from Webster to prevent Robertson getting on the end of it. Also, his cut-back to Fran was excellent. It largely went unnoticed due to Fran miskicking his shot.

This guy can put himself about (ok - lucky he didn't get sent off for one particular tackle) and he has an engine on him.

Whenever he does play, there is a lot of pressure on him. He must feel it.

Lomas must like what he sees in training and in bounce games. I reckon if we get behind Robertson and keep off his back, there is a player there that in the future we may need and end up liking.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He had a poor game on Sunday -perhaps not his true position -but drawn out of position too often and was correctly subbed.

He looks like one of those pipe cleaner dolls and I get the feeling that if tackled his legs are gonna fall off.

See, that's my problem....did he have a poor game or is that the perception because the team don't perform well in that formation....like I say, had Fran buried that chance from Robertson's cutback, would we have thought he had a poor game? What he did didn't differ, it was perhaps what Fran didn't do (stick it away) that had an effect on our perception of Robertson's contribution.

Was he drawn out of position? I don't think so. He was probably tasked with getting up to help Fran, and if you watch the highlights, you see him make some bursting runs to get up there when Fran had the ball. If we then lose the ball, it looks like Robertson is out of position, which, yes, he is, but not down to bad decision making by him and the five across midfield would be designed to deal with that eventuality

There is only so long you can feel sorry for someone who is not performing. If he is under performing because of team formation then we should do the honourable thing. The team comes first. Robertson might be trying hard but we have set ourselves a high bar of achievement.

Don't disagree with any of that....although, again, is he underperforming? But, you're right, if the team doesn't work with him in it, that's the way it goes.

He is 'our' player though...not sure about the length of his contract, but there may be a time when we need him

ok, just interested in other peoples thoughts. One thing I have found in business management is not to deliberate too long on people not quite making the grade.

I'm the same...just interested in people's opinions and maybe trying to put a bit of a case in for the guy.

Good point you make re time spent on deliberation and decision making. The summer will be the time for that deliberation to end I think, when we see who decides to leave us through getting a better offer elsewhere

This is a really sensible thread. Well done.

Personally I really rate Robbo. Has all the attributes to make a top class midfield player.

Unfortunately, the East Stand bully boys don't like him so like they always do they will boo and hiss him, destroy the laddies confidence then drive him out of the club.

Seen it so many times. Its usually the young 'uns.

I suppose it makes them feel important.

Come on Robbo. Keep at it mate and you'll be a Saintees legend.

I've thought all season that he makes some really intelligent runs and there's definitely a football brain in their.

Unfortunately his body isn't that of a footballers!

This is exactly the conversation that occurred at Tannadice about this lad. IMO he is a useful squad player, but has never really found a position to call his own. The fact that he runs like the funky chicken does not help his cause, but no one can fault him for effort and he has spades of aggression which is a quality every team needs, especially in fixtures like Sunday. Levein and Houston often played him at Ibrox, Celtic Park and Tynecastle...I imagine the old adage about fighting for the right to play your game comes to mind, similarly he is useful when playing out time if your team is ahead....he upsets opponents by defending from the front, but can give away too many free kicks, in areas you might expect to draw them!

Think about your most impressive results and performances this season, was he involved? (genuine question I have no idea)

This is exactly the conversation that occurred at Tannadice about this lad. IMO he is a useful squad player, but has never really found a position to call his own. The fact that he runs like the funky chicken does not help his cause, but no one can fault him for effort and he has spades of aggression which is a quality every team needs, especially in fixtures like Sunday. Levein and Houston often played him at Ibrox, Celtic Park and Tynecastle...I imagine the old adage about fighting for the right to play your game comes to mind, similarly he is useful when playing out time if your team is ahead....he upsets opponents by defending from the front, but can give away too many free kicks, in areas you might expect to draw them!

Think about your most impressive results and performances this season, was he involved? (genuine question I have no idea)

Don't think he was no.

Think its because he isn't a flair player. The job he does doesn't look glamorous or changes games.

He does as he is asked too. If not then he wouldn't be picked by the manager.

We have had this same discussion about many a player but if the manager picks him then is for a reason.

yeh but DMc used to pick Dr Goalless so that flaws your post.

But interestingly, what games has he been played in....Celtic, Rangers, Hearts....the tough ones where we need to fight.

In particular, he was doing well v Celtic before being assaulted

That's why he was taken out! He must be a nightmare to play against. When you signed him I told you the boo boys would hate him, it took him a few seasons to win them over, in the end most were sorry to see him go.

yeh but DMc used to pick Dr Goalless so that flaws your post.

But we can see many people on this forum who have got a least favourite player and no matter what they do they will always be negative towards them.

We know your was the good doctor. Andrew has Jody and alike.

In the team they do a job. If not then they wouldn't be playing.

That's why he was taken out! He must be a nightmare to play against. When you signed him I told you the boo boys would hate him, it took him a few seasons to win them over, in the end most were sorry to see him go.

I'm rooting for the guy.....like Joe says, he gets asked to do a job, a job that maybe isn't appreciated or pleasing to the eye, and, unfortunately, he seems to pay the price for that in terms of popularity.

I would love to know what Lomas said to him on Sunday when he was taking him off at half-time. Would have needed some really good man management skills