David Robertson

Edstar101

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With MD struggling might see him retain his place in a 442 v Utd

That was in the back of my mind...should Muzz leave (although all transfer talk about him has went quiet) then we might just see the value of Robertson. Good tackler, comes late into the box to support forwards....I am sure he could head the ball over the bar just as well as Muzz too :D

I'm with Larky on this...if Muzz is unable to play, I think Robertson might play for a bit of grit in midfield...with Millar and possibly Mooner (although not so sure) on the bench.

If Muzz is carrying an injury, Robbo might be on the bench for cover

Lomas won't play Robertson for the sake of it...if he is in there, then the manager obviously sees something that the majority of the support are missing

If Robertson does start on Saturday....HE WILL SCORE... mark my words :cool:

Edited by Edstar101

David Robertson adds absolutely nothing to the St Johnstone team in my opinion. He was anonymous on Sunday, I was under the impression his job was to link the midfield and attack, similar to the Celtic game, but he failed miserably. He always seems really awkward when he has the ball, or when he is positioning himself,

David Robertson adds absolutely nothing to the St Johnstone team in my opinion. He was anonymous on Sunday, I was under the impression his job was to link the midfield and attack, similar to the Celtic game, but he failed miserably. He always seems really awkward when he has the ball, or when he is positioning himself,

Seem to think his job is to stop the oppositions defenders and midfield linking rather to help ours link.

He is a spoiler. Not pretty but can be effective.

Millar got the same. Push up miller. All the time he is holding back, does the manager sub him, does he drop him, No. Why ?? Cause he has been given a job to do and he is doing it. We may not like what he is doing, it may not be gung ho enough but why criticize him for doing as the manager obviously asks him to do.

Maybe its us who don't understand, and the manager is right and the player is right.

OGS, That was his role.

Play a 5 man midfield against a 4 man midfield and it might actually work as he'll have space to play in. Against another 5 man midfield his threat is totally nullified and our chronic lack of pace in wide areas made the formation look 10x worse. Compton would have made a difference to that shape. That's Lomas' fault and I'm pretty sure he'd have said that when subbing Robbo. Ando aside, no one looked any good first half.

Robbo unfortunately seems to be becoming a scape goat. Just because it was his house, disnae mean it was his fault!

But interestingly, what games has he been played in....Celtic, Rangers, Hearts....the tough ones where we need to fight.

In particular, he was doing well v Celtic before being assaulted

I agree with that. It is always the hard games he is asked to play in and against Celtic I thought he was having a good game. I didn't think anyone was having a particularly good game in the first half on Sunday but as usual people were getting on his back from the kick off. I'm still not sure about where he fits into the team but as others have said the manager must see something.

With regard to Sunday, it was blatantly obvious after about 10-15 mins that the formation was wrong. Sadly with the 5 man midfield and Robertson not doing anything of note it was him who was the scapegoat. If it had been mooner or millar playing that role then perhaps they would have been blamed, or perhaps they would have had more of an impression on the game.

In his time at the club Robertson has given a decent performance against Celtic and then nothing else. Maybe my expectations of him were too high. I was actually more excited and impressed with his signing than Fran in the summer.

Millar is a far better player than Robertson. As Joe says millar has a job to do, and he does it brilliantly week in week out.

I understand where Edstar is coming from here. It's tough on a player who gives 100% on the park, and obviously gives 100% in training too, but he just doesn't fit the team. Unfortunately McInnes brought in a few players who just didn't fit. The difference between Robertson and Taylor, Gibson, Mary-Williams etc. is that we all know he can play football, just not as part of a 4-4-2. Every other player we have is suited to a 4-4-2 type of play.

I agree with what singaporesaint says above too, that we can't hang onto a player just because he's a nice lad and would be a good player with a different 10 team mates. That doesn't necessarily reflect badly on the player. I wonder if he should be out on loan somewhere until the end of the season, for his own benefit as much as Saints?

I'm rooting for the guy.....like Joe says, he gets asked to do a job, a job that maybe isn't appreciated or pleasing to the eye, and, unfortunately, he seems to pay the price for that in terms of popularity.

I would love to know what Lomas said to him on Sunday when he was taking him off at half-time. Would have needed some really good man management skills

Sam Parkin was the same and you voted him out.....so you must be a boo boy :wink:

But we can see many people on this forum who have got a least favourite player and no matter what they do they will always be negative towards them.

We know your was the good doctor. Andrew has Jody and alike.

In the team they do a job. If not then they wouldn't be playing.

Jody is my least favourite player?!

Actually that's a good way of putting it. Quite positive really. :laugh:

You're also right. How many don't like Ando or Mooner, Enck, etc?

Millar is a far better player than Robertson. As Joe says millar has a job to do, and he does it brilliantly week in week out.

If Croft proves his fitness then potentially Chris might not see as much action as he has up until now. If only Chris could add some end product we won't miss Lee when he inevitably goes at the end of the season. Doubt we could keep him, but who knows in this crazy world of financial meltdown.

Seem to remember having the same discussion when Cilla came the first time.Players need time to settle and he's hardly ever had a decent run of games to find consistency.As someone stated earlier there is a football brain in there,and a lot of his work goes unnoticed.What did Muzz,Jody and Liam do so much better in the first half on sunday?He was subbed purely to change the formation,not due to his poorer display than others.

This is a really sensible thread. Well done.

Personally I really rate Robbo. Has all the attributes to make a top class midfield player.

Unfortunately, the East Stand bully boys don't like him so like they always do they will boo and hiss him, destroy the laddies confidence then drive him out of the club.

Seen it so many times. Its usually the young 'uns.

I suppose it makes them feel important.

Come on Robbo. Keep at it mate and you'll be a Saintees legend.

Yip, bang on, it's the fans fault that he is shite. I have seen every minute the boy has had on the park this season and I have to honestly say that I think he just aint got it. He regularly looks lost , his first touch is non existent and he mistimes most of his tackles. Whilst I respect others opinions on Robertson, I would be delighted if he never put on a Saints top again..

Does that make me bad ???

Whats all this "he doesn't fit in with the style,the formation,the team" gash,if he's got such a good football brain why is he not capable of "adapting" the team ain't going to change to suit his style of running around like a big girl.If linking with Fran was his task on Sunday then why did he at one stage need roared at by his gaffer before he took off and tried to support his striker.Nope,don't think the guy has got it,show him the door.

Seem to remember having the same discussion when Cilla came the first time.Players need time to settle and he's hardly ever had a decent run of games to find consistency.As someone stated earlier there is a football brain in there,and a lot of his work goes unnoticed.What did Muzz,Jody and Liam do so much better in the first half on sunday?He was subbed purely to change the formation,not due to his poorer display than others.

Good point,

Think this was the problem we had under mcinnes, playing his favourites regardless of performance

To some extent this has also been adopted by lomas

robertson has been no better or worse than other midfielders

But has become a fans scapegoat when the rest of the midfield arent getting their fingers outmy ideal midfield would be croft mooner miller and compton

I would love to know what Lomas said to him on Sunday when he was taking him off at half-time. Would have needed some really good man management skills

his interview after the match he stated that the 1st half had nothing to do with Robbo it was just a formation change then went on to point out how great a player he is.

i suppose any good manager would say that irrespective of their views. i hope that robbo comes good too but what worrys me is the fact Lomas rates him ahead of Mooner & Adams(unless they have been injured for a while) who are no where near the squad