Stevie May

rik2304

I think if he stays with us, continues to be up there in the leading goalscorer tables, continues to grab the headlines and perhaps gets a full Scotland call up (although, when is the next full international??) he will be looking at offers from bigger teams who will be buying him to be in their starting team

I think the same, just hope Stevie has the confidence to realise it. Will always be a gamble turning down any move upwards

Would Rotherham have that kind of money for a transfer fee anyway? I have my doubts. Also. Will he want to go there. No. Peterborough are a much bigger club than Rotherham and he didn't want to go to Peterborough...

Rotherham fan here in peace.

I would suggest that Rotherham and Peterborough are similar size clubs, with us shading it based on fanbase and attendances, added to this, we have a brand new £20M stadium funded by our chairman who is backing Steve Evans with a big budget with the aim being promotion to the Championship.

I've not heard of Stevie May before today, but his stats, and age, suggest he could be a shrewd purchase, and fit into our manager's policy of buying young players, making them better, and moving them on for bigger money after being part of promotion winning sides.

Our current record is £175,000 for Lee Frecklington from Peterborough, and both our chairman and manager have previously suggested we are in a position to 'smash' that, so I would imagine the offer, which is being considered, is substantial.

Rotherham fan here in peace.

I would suggest that Rotherham and Peterborough are similar size clubs, with us shading it based on fanbase and attendances, added to this, we have a brand new £20M stadium funded by our chairman who is backing Steve Evans with a big budget with the aim being promotion to the Championship.

I've not heard of Stevie May before today, but his stats, and age, suggest he could be a shrewd purchase, and fit into our manager's policy of buying young players, making them better, and moving them on for bigger money after being part of promotion winning sides.

Our current record is £175,000 for Lee Frecklington from Peterborough, and both our chairman and manager have previously suggested we are in a position to 'smash' that, so I would imagine the offer, which is being considered, is substantial.

Welcome!

In all honesty, I can't see Saints letting him go this transfer window unless a truly ridiculous offer comes in...and, judging by recent interviews with May and the signing of a new contract, he doesn't seem to be itching for a move. He is constantly talking of our semi-final in February and the chances of Europe again next season....and he is a Perth lad.

He will go at some point, that is almost assured.....but don't think it will be now

I know Steve Evans has a scouting network in Scotland, and it has been reported that we have previously been interested in Billy McKay and Tony Watt.  We desperately need a goalscorer, as the chances we are creating and missing are ridiculous.  We have just offloaded last season's top scorer Daniel Nardiello, and brought in Nouha Dicko from Wigan on loan until January.

We have a fantastic squad of hard working players, including internationals Kari Arnason and Michael O'Connor.  What kind of striker is May and what style suits his play?

When he first made a first team appearance for us, he had ability, but was pretty skinny. He has benefitted from a couple of loan spells to lower league teams and has come back very strong. Has good acceleration and pace, makes very clever runs and has a tremendous work-rate. Likes to have a go at goal from anywhere and packs a mean shot. Also links up well with other players and has got a good number of assists to his name as well as goals.

He is not particularly tall however and one area he probably could improve is in the air...although not totally useless with his head

We have a fantastic squad of hard working players, including internationals Kari Arnason and Michael O'Connor. What kind of striker is May and what style suits his play?

He's rubbish. Totally overrated. Can't beat a man, can't score good goals, isn't direct enough. You'd be much better looking at Rory Fallon who just scored for New Zealand against Mexico. Pass this message on to your board.

The type of striker who scores goals and is prepared to shoot from anywhere.  He's not a tall player, so long ball football wouldn't suit him.  To be honest though, I think unless your club offers well in excess of 500k then you've no chance of getting him.  He's just signed a new contract, is happy here and is a local lad.  Welcome to the forum though - you're a far more likeable chap than the racist Peterborough idiot who came on here before.

He's rubbish. Totally overrated. Can't beat a man, can't score good goals, isn't direct enough. You'd be much better looking at Rory Fallon who just scored for New Zealand against Mexico. Pass this message on to your board.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say :neutral:  Give us some training balls and you can have Fallon...he's good in the air (supposedly)

He really does sound like the type of player we are looking for. 

What sort of money do you think would be too hard to resist for your board?  Any idea how much the Peterborough bid was for?

I think they were bidding around the 400 300k mark, but were trying to pay in installments over a number of years.

As others have said, given he signed a new contract I'm not sure 500k up front would even do it

Edited by Jiangsu Sainty

Peterborough bid was supposedly 300k - but they wanted to pay it over 200 years :roll:  (or something).  Obviously finances in Scottish football are not great, but we are on of the few clubs in the black, so not desparate for the money.  As I said before, I think 500k would be a starting point.

He really does sound like the type of player we are looking for.

What sort of money do you think would be too hard to resist for your board? Any idea how much the Peterborough bid was for?

Around 300000 IIRC.

We are In a good financial position but we are in that position for a reason and that is by being careful with money and for that reason everybody has a price. I would suggest anything over half a million with sell on clauses and our chairman may be tempted to accept.

Well, to be honest, I can't see our bid being half a million.  We sold Adam Le Fondre to Reading for £350k and he has since scored goals in the Prem.  I could see our bid being in the £350k region, but I would be very surprised if it was any higher.

It seems our Scottish manager sees young Scottish talent as affordable for our budget.  We picked up young Michael Tidser in the Summer, and failed to agree personal terms with Lyle Taylor who subsequently went to Sheffield United.

As for Peterborough fans, I wouldn't take any notice of them.  Southern softies!

Stevie is the kind of striker who will score goals at any club, at any level IMO.  A class act with a lot of potential to get even better.  Fast, direct, great first touch, instinctive striker from anywhere inside 30 yards (he has scored a good mix of long range strikes and tap-ins) and also got a good eye for a pass - he's added assists to his arsenal very well this season.  Last season he scored a load of goals on loan at Hamilton, who were utterly rubbish apart from him.

Given the change in his contract situation since the Peterborough offer (he has signed an additional year contract extension), I would think the suggestions of £500k as a starting point being pretty sensible.  What is interesting is that while the club may have been inclined to accept the £300k offer from Peterborough in principle (before they suggested it would be paid in yearly instalments of magic beans), Stevie has subsequently said that had the club agreed to let Peterborough to speak to him he would have said no straight up as he wanted to stay at Saints for the time being.

Interesting situation though.  We all assumed there would be interest in him ahead of January, so there's no real animosity.  We are an honest club though, and any attempts to treat us like Peterborough did will not go down well.

Did the Rotherham manager play for us?

Yes.  And he had an embarrassing fall from grace when managing Boston United.  We were very reluctant to accept him as one of our own based on his checkered history, but he has certainly delivered where others failed, and the future of the club both on and off the pitch is bright.