E-mail the SFL to try and avoid Hampden

chopper

I appreciate your concerns folks but if it's played at a ground with a limited capacity, then Saints fans will undoubtedly end up being the ones that miss out. This will effectively be a home tie for Hibs, and fans will turn out in their numbers, thus leaving a reduced allocation for Saints fans.

Play it at Hampden and allow everybody who wants to go - the chance to see Saints play in a semi-final for the first time in a good while.

Reply received from Peter Donald at the SFL (via his PA, Carol) this morning - I am sure it will have been a blanket e-mail that is sent to all who have contacted the SFL:

Thanks for your message.

We are currently in discussion with the participating clubs regarding the venues for the CIS Insurance Cup Semi-Finals. There are many factors that need to be taken into account in such matters, including contractual requirements but I do understand your viewpoint.

We have, of course, used venues other than Hampden Park for such matches on many occasions.

Regards,

Peter Donald, Secretary

The Scottish Football League

whats a realistic figure people think we can take through to either hampden or tynecastle? hibs are playing to 12000 for league games so theyll need to accomodate their lot somehow and a dont see why we should lose out. in a perfect world tynecastle would be 25000 capacaity and we'd play there but lets wait and see.

yeah same mail receieved here as well:

The conbtractual part is import. I reckon one of us should call hampden and ask if it is booked.

However as the SFL is based at Hampden park, i guess they are all close assocaites and would not like to stiff one another on the massive losses in terms ofcosst associated with prodiucing a semi at the ground.... just putting the floodlights on must drain at least one north sea oil rig....

Thanks for your recent message.

We are currently in discussion with the participating clubs regarding the venues for the CIS Insurance Cup Semi-Finals. There are many factors that need to be taken into account in such matters, including contractual requirements but I do understand your viewpoint.

We have, of course, used venues other than Hampden Park for such matches on many occasions.

Regards,

Peter Donald, Secretary

The Scottish Football League

cup semis are all about atmosphere and you wont get one at hampden

spot on. The last one against hearts is the best saints game i have been at such a great atmosphere. Was better than even the monaco game for me.

I think playing in edinburgh is a good idea as its closer for saints fans than glasgow is. plus i have not been to hearts ground since the early 90's when we beat them and the saints fans were in the terracing.

Just a month after Christmas as well - with the ticket prices likely to be around the £20-£25 mark - we will not sell a full allocation of 3,500 (the away end at Tynecastle).

I think we could easily do that, how many did we take to the last semi we were in in the cis cup against hearts? even against rangers the same year we had a fair few people.

Sure it may be after christmas but a ticket will make for a cracking christmas present :)

I think we could easily do that, how many did we take to the last semi we were in in the cis cup against hearts? even against rangers the same year we had a fair few people.

Sure it may be after christmas but a ticket will make for a cracking christmas present :)

We had 2,500 at the cup semi v Hearts - Rangers was a semi final on the Sunday tea time at Parkhead and we had just short of 4,000.

Just a month after Christmas as well - with the ticket prices likely to be around the £20-£25 mark - we will not sell a full allocation of 3,500 (the away end at Tynecastle).

a ticket for the game will make an ideal christmas present though! I know that i will be asking santa for one!! :lol:

I think you're all being slightly harsh on our support actually. Suggestions of attendances as low as 3000? We had at east that for the Gretna name and this one is a bigger match. Granted, it is a midweek game... but think of the number of people who missed out on tickets for ibrox. We'll have atleast 5000 there I'd say. Be very surprised if we don't get that amount of interest.

I want the game to be at Hampden. But I take the point of everyone who wants it elsewhere and from a purely selfish perspective, I'd like the game to be played at Tannadice

I can't agree with you Kev.

The last time we reached a semi-final we were enjoying relative success in the SPL and had already enjoyed the success that comes with winning the First Division. We got relegated at the end of season 2001/2002 and have failed to win promotion ever since then, finishing dangerously close to relegation two seasons ago!

We're now in a Semi final of a national cup competition that holds no Old Firm presence. This is arguably the clubs best opportunity to win a cup in it's entire history and comes after a real low period for the club. This is a new, exciting time for everyone connected with Saints.

I too think people are underestimating our support.

I think you're all being slightly harsh on our support actually.

I don't think we are. Average crowd is around the 2300 mark I would assume, and that is generally a good indicator for support at a big cup tie (maybe increase it by 22 for an away semi-final :roll: ).

Suggestions of attendances as low as 3000? We had at east that for the Gretna name and this one is a bigger match. Granted, it is a midweek game... but think of the number of people who missed out on tickets for ibrox. We'll have atleast 5000 there I'd say. Be very surprised if we don't get that amount of interest.

3000 people included a not unsubstantial amount of free tickets handed out to children who attended the various Saints in the Community activities over the October school holiday period.

I am more than willing to make a bet with anyone that we will not take more than 4,000 to this cup semi-final.

I want the game to be at Hampden. But I take the point of everyone who wants it elsewhere and from a purely selfish perspective, I'd like the game to be played at Tannadice

The obvious answer (as was the case in 1998 when we played Hearts, or in recent years when Hearts played Motherwell or Livingston v Dundee) is one of the Edinburgh grounds. As we are playing Hibs, that leaves us a Tynecastle stadium that holds 18,000.

I am sorry for giving out some truths and deflating people's thoughts on how "big" this victory makes us, but it is true enough - there is not the following, no matter the result, for us to warrant playing at a bigger venue and demanding more tickets.

People were on a high in 98/99, really believing in the club but not exactly spoilt with success. Ok, we've had a few good results and if we are riding high come the end of Jan, we might attract a few extra but the Rangers result will be forgotten by then.

Have to agree - we struggled to attract big crowds even during the highest point in the club's history, so given the drop-off in recent years we're not suddenly about to top those figures. Plus, who knows what our form's going to be like by the time January comes along - we're all on a high at the moment, but if we get beaten in our next game you can bet the moaning will be turned right back up to full-blast and there'll be folk grumbling about wanting Coyle out again. If there's one thing loads of football fans are guaranteed to be, it's fickle.

Are our last two League Cup semi-finals not a decent indicator though and we failed to take 3,000 to either of those.

Game is on TV as well so people don't feel so much they are missing out.

I just don't see where we've gained 2,000 supporters from since 1998, when we were going really well.

If it was at Tannadice, we could possibly get near 5,000, although I doubt we'd get that many tickets so that's an arguement against.

I agree with Kyle, there are a lot of Saints fans not attending at the moment but who are constantly interested in what's happening. It's just that in their view they'd rather see Saints in the big games and not the 1st division which requires the more dedicated fans. There were a lot more of these fans appeared at Ibrox and i would expect much more to want to go down to Edinburgh. Possibly 5000. Many want Saints in the big time I've seen it so often. Remember Totten's team which came out of the lowest division in Scottish football and then reached the top of the 1st division and got to a semi final at celtic Park where we had a huge support who just appeared out of thew woodwork. I welcome this since the atmosphere makes a football game an event. 8)